Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
lawcch

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by lawcch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:53 am

I have search Yamaha GC 30 A on japan amazon website which is on sales for JPY 269,000 or about USD$ 2.450.
It had the one single piece of Brazilian Rosewood on the back and side of this GC30A model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lawcch on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:56 am

I have search Yamaha GC 30 A on japan amazon website which is on sales for JPY 270,000 or about USD$ 2.450.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 am

lawcch wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:56 am
I have search Yamaha GC 30 A on japan amazon website which is on sales for JPY 270,000 or about USD$ 2.450.
That looks like an excellent buy to me, if everything is in order.

/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1990 - Antonio Raya Pardo 1A
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt Torres

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:58 am

rinneby wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 am
lawcch wrote:

/Jon
HI Jon
However, the Japanese seller from musical instrument store in Japan will NOT sell this guitar to overseas buyer. You have to fly to Japan to buy directly from the store.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:00 am

lawcch wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:58 am
rinneby wrote:
lawcch wrote:

/Jon
HI Jon
However, the Japanese seller from musical instrument store in Japan will NOT sell this guitar to overseas buyer. You have to fly to Japan to buy directly from the store.
Well I don't that its THAT good of a deal :)

/Jon

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:28 am

I also found a Japanese seller offered me Yamaha GC30 for USD$1,150, made in Taiwan. Not sure whether worth buying this vintage Yamaha GC guitar or not. Anyone owns this Yamaha GC 30 model may share their experience here.
This is a specification for his GC30 model:
Top - Solid White Spruce
Back - Solid Rosewood
Sides - Solid Rosewood
Fret Board - Ebony
Neck - Mahogany
Heel Plate - Rosewood
Face Plate - Rosewood (4-Ply On Mahogany)
Bridge - Jacaranda
Saddle - Bone
Nut - Bone
Tuners - Yamaha’s YTM-81 (Gold)
Fret Markers - 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th & 12th
String Length - Full Concert (650 mm)
Soundboard Finish - Lacquer
General Finish - Polyurethane

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:33 am

lawcch wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:28 am
I also found a Japanese seller offered me Yamaha GC30 for USD$1,150, made in Taiwan. Not sure whether worth buying this vintage Yamaha GC guitar or not. Anyone owns this Yamaha GC 30 model may share their experience here.
This is a specification for his GC30 model:
Top - Solid White Spruce
Back - Solid Rosewood
Sides - Solid Rosewood
Fret Board - Ebony
Neck - Mahogany
Heel Plate - Rosewood
Face Plate - Rosewood (4-Ply On Mahogany)
Bridge - Jacaranda
Saddle - Bone
Nut - Bone
Tuners - Yamaha’s YTM-81 (Gold)
Fret Markers - 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th & 12th
String Length - Full Concert (650 mm)
Soundboard Finish - Lacquer
General Finish - Polyurethane
The GC guitars from Taiwan were (at least to my understanding) assembled by Japanese luthiers. The guitars are of good quality. However, if you are into Japanese classical guitars I recommend you to wait, the price is "ok" but nothing spectacular.

Hope it helps

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:02 am

Don't waste time with the GC30. I have compared the Taiwan made with my GC30A. The GC30 does not come close to the GC30A.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:06 am

lawcch wrote: HI Jon
See if any kind Delcamp members can help you to facilitate the transaction?

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:34 am

Hi everyone
An interesting and a little brief history about how Yamaha GC guitars making started back in 1960s.
If anyone has any good inputs about the history of Yamaha GC/ CG/ C-series/ G-series of classical guitar making , please post your contribution here.

The Yamaha GC guitars (prototype) was made in 1960 by Yamaha Corporation.
Hiroshi Harada, along with Hideyuki Ezaki and Toshio Kato, in mid 1960s was delegated by Yamaha corp. to learn the art of guitar making directly from Spanish luthiers. These 3 luthiers were trained by highly regarded at that time Spanish luthier Eduardo Ferrer. Between years 1964-1967 Eudaro Ferrer frequently travelled to Japan just for this reason. As the result of this cooperation Yamaha was able to revolutionize it's classical guitar line and soon establish itself as one of the best guitar making company in the world.

Guitar factory (Gakki) as company name can be quite misleading for many unaware guitar enthusiasts. These Japanese workshops were no different from any other luthier’s workshops. The difference was that instead of being led by one Master Luthier (owner) they employed a team of equally skilled luthiers, working together and supporting each other in order to produce a “perfect” product. These luthiers (often times not known by their individual name), represented their company (the label), were totally loyal to the bosses (owners) and had to put their egos aside. Only the best of the best were allowed to put their signatures on the labels.

Thanks to Eduardo Ferrer and his great students (Hiroshi Harada, Toshihiro Kato & Hideyuki Ezaki) in 1967 Yamaha Corp. introduced their new guitar lineup. Their concert models were: GC3(Spruce/Indian Rosewood), GC5(Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood), GC7(Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood), GC10(Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood).

At the same time Yamaha introduced 3 superb flamenco models: GC5F, GC7F and GC10F. These guitars opened international markets for Yamaha corp. guitars. They were of absolutely highest imaginable grade of craftsmanship & materials and were also very expensive, not only to Japanese players.

Yamaha's classical guitar lineup was dramatically changed by the end of 1970. One reason was that at that time these "spanish blueprint" Yamaha guitars were already played and highly valued by many great professional guitar players around the world. Second reason was very rapid devaluation of Japanese currency. Another reason was that Masaru Kohno and other Japanese elite luthiers were selling very similar quality guitars at much higher prices. So it was the time for Yamaha to start making decent profits from making their wonderful guitars.

Starting by the end of 1970 Yamaha had new classical guitar lineup. Models GC3D, GC5, GC7, GC10 were all made with solid Indian Rosewood b/s. Models GC12 and GC15 were made with solid Brazilian Rosewood b/s. Yamaha's guitar linep was being "upgraded" quite frequently over the years.

SO IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THAT LOW MODEL NUMBER ON THE LABEL DOESN'T MEAN LOW GRADE OF THE GUITAR. In early 1980s YAMAHA's top model made with solid Indian Rosewood b/s was GC 30. This guitar is absolutely no match for YAMAHA GC3 made in late 1960s.

Model GC3 was priced 30 000. Yearly salary of Japanese college graduate in 1967 was 25 200 yen, in 1968 - 29 300 yen, in 1969 - 34 600 yen and in 1970 - 39 200 yen. Exactly the same grade guitar would be labelled as GC5 in 1970, as GC8 by 1972, as GC10 by 1974 and as GC15 by 1976.
In 1967 Japanese made guitars of similar grade were offered for sale in USA for at least $800. The purchase power of $1000 in 1967 equals to a purchase power of $5000 today.

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:55 am

Another find for unusual Yamaha GC 8-D model. see the photos posted in e - b a y seller by nick name of viktork1962 on March 2017
Year(s) Sold: 1971-74
Top:Solid Ezo Spruce
Back / Sides: Solid Indian Rosewood
Neck: Honduras Mahogany
Fingerboard: Ebony
Bridge: Jacaranda
Color(s):Natural
String scale Length: 662 mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:03 am

The brief history of Yamaha GRAND CONCERT GC-30A 1974

This Yamaha GC 30A guitar was made in 1974 under the guidance of Spanish luthier Manuel Hernandez, by Yoichiro Suzuki, being helped by Suzuki Magosaku and Iguchi Tokio.
This is however very special guitar model. Being priced 300 000 yen in 1974 it was one of the most expensive guitar ever made in Japan. This was the first year this highest grade model was introduced.At this time Japanese guitar makers started to introduce international customers to their, pretty soon highly regarded, products. Their guitar offered the highest possible level of craftsmanship with great deal of attention to even the tiniest details. The "sister model" Yamaha GC30B had Cedar top and identical identical looks and price.
Exactly the same year other 2 luxurious models GC20M (solid Spruce/Solid Brazilian Rosewood) and GC20S (solid Cedar/Solid Brazilian Rosewood) were introduced. They looked similar to GC30A& Gc30B models, except for their headstocks. GC20M & GC20S had lacquer finish, while GC30A & GC30B had shellac finish.
Third place from the top in Yamaha's classical guitar line was taken by models GC15M and GC15S, followed by models GC10M and GC10S, all with highest grade solid Indian Rosewood b/s and lacquer finish.

All these models made in late 1970s/early 1980s were of somewhat lower grade than the those made in 1974. Despite their lower grade, due to galloping devaluation of Japanese yen, their prices were gradually going up. Production of models GC15 M/S, GC10M/S and GC20M/S ended in 1979 and they were replaced by other models, while price of models GC30A & GC30B reached 650 000 yen by year 1984.

In 1985 Yamaha corporation ended production of models GC30A/B and introduced 3 new high end models made from highest grade woods and Brazilian Rosewood b/s. It was GC50 and GC60 (both with lacquer finish) and GC70 (with shellac finish). Yamaha GC30A became Yamaha GC70. Specifications of Yamahas GC30A and GC70 are presented down below.

One of these Yamahas GC30A was given to Andres Segovia, who liked it very much and used it for his daily practicing at his cottage in Spanish countryside.
However, just like in case of any other Yamaha GC model units made in earlier years were of much higher quality than those made in later years. The same model Yamaha GC30A made in 1985 was no match for guitar made in 1974, even though it was priced the same 300 000 yen. This amount of yen had completely different purchase power in 1974 versus 1985. 300 000 yen in 1974 translates to at least 750 000 yen in 1985. Masaru Kohno’s top model at that time was #50 with the price of 500 000 yen. During these years only few other famous Japanese luthiers were able to sell their Master 50 models for the same price.

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:03 am

The brief history of Yamaha GRAND CONCERT GC-30A 1974

This Yamaha GC 30A guitar was made in 1974 under the guidance of Spanish luthier Manuel Hernandez, by Yoichiro Suzuki, being helped by Suzuki Magosaku and Iguchi Tokio.
This is however very special guitar model. Being priced 300 000 yen in 1974 it was one of the most expensive guitar ever made in Japan. This was the first year this highest grade model was introduced.At this time Japanese guitar makers started to introduce international customers to their, pretty soon highly regarded, products. Their guitar offered the highest possible level of craftsmanship with great deal of attention to even the tiniest details. The "sister model" Yamaha GC30B had Cedar top and identical identical looks and price.
Exactly the same year other 2 luxurious models GC20M (solid Spruce/Solid Brazilian Rosewood) and GC20S (solid Cedar/Solid Brazilian Rosewood) were introduced. They looked similar to GC30A& Gc30B models, except for their headstocks. GC20M & GC20S had lacquer finish, while GC30A & GC30B had shellac finish.
Third place from the top in Yamaha's classical guitar line was taken by models GC15M and GC15S, followed by models GC10M and GC10S, all with highest grade solid Indian Rosewood b/s and lacquer finish.

All these models made in late 1970s/early 1980s were of somewhat lower grade than the those made in 1974. Despite their lower grade, due to galloping devaluation of Japanese yen, their prices were gradually going up. Production of models GC15 M/S, GC10M/S and GC20M/S ended in 1979 and they were replaced by other models, while price of models GC30A & GC30B reached 650 000 yen by year 1984.

In 1985 Yamaha corporation ended production of models GC30A/B and introduced 3 new high end models made from highest grade woods and Brazilian Rosewood b/s. It was GC50 and GC60 (both with lacquer finish) and GC70 (with shellac finish). Yamaha GC30A became Yamaha GC70. Specifications of Yamahas GC30A and GC70 are presented down below.

One of these Yamahas GC30A was given to Andres Segovia, who liked it very much and used it for his daily practicing at his cottage in Spanish countryside.
However, just like in case of any other Yamaha GC model units made in earlier years were of much higher quality than those made in later years. The same model Yamaha GC30A made in 1985 was no match for guitar made in 1974, even though it was priced the same 300 000 yen. This amount of yen had completely different purchase power in 1974 versus 1985. 300 000 yen in 1974 translates to at least 750 000 yen in 1985. Masaru Kohno’s top model at that time was #50 with the price of 500 000 yen. During these years only few other famous Japanese luthiers were able to sell their Master 50 models for the same price.

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:05 am

HNLim wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:06 am
lawcch wrote: HI Jon
See if any kind Delcamp members can help you to facilitate the transaction?
Hi Lim
I would love to own this magnificient Yamaha GC30A guitar if someone can help me to do the exportation from Japan.
Anyone or Japanese friend you know can help out?

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:26 am

rinneby wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:00 am
lawcch wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:58 am
rinneby wrote:

/Jon
HI Jon
Well I don't that its THAT good of a deal :)

/Jon
Bad news, I just found out from the Japanese language translation about the condition of this Yamaha GC30A guitar which had crack on the back of the guitar about 9 cm long but had been repaired.
Below was the brief direct translation from google translate tool. Sound weird as it is not in proper English grammar.

Upper model of the Yamaha classic guitar of the era when the master caravan was sent out to the world.
This is carved by Mr. Suzuki 's signature.
Side, back adopts high-quality hakaranda corresponding to class.
Clear reverb feeling is unique to this class.
Scratches are omnipresent in picking scratches that imagine that Top got caught violently.
There is a crack of about 9 cm on the side of the back string, but it is repaired firmly.
Playability is good.
It might be asleep for a while, the ringing is a little quiet, but the potential is an infinite guitar.
It is up to you to awaken once!
Hard case included.

Return to “Luthiers”