Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
HNLim

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:32 pm

From my knowledge, the GC70 & GC71 is Yamaha's best model. It is still available in Japan and it costs 60% more than the GC82.

630mm

Post by 630mm » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks for your impressions and the side by side pics. What year is that GC3a? I thought they moved to ebonized rosewood instead of ebony starting quite early with the GC3 models. My late 70s and early 80s GC5 models are all rosewood fingerboards. The back grain on that GC3A is very nice btw. I have never tried the higher model Gs but I have heard good things. My 77 GC5M Ezo Spruce Harada guitar is very stiff and heavy and has a higher body resonance around A. Are your G255s and G260s models similar? Are they Ezo spruce too?

I have a late 80s model CG180SA and it definitely is quieter and less rich than any of my GCs. Same with my CG171C. The purfling and rosette on the 180SA are also quite dull.
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
1976 Masaru Matano 600 Cedar 658mm
2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

Yvon

Post by Yvon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi all,
First message here (after my introduction)

I own a Yamaha GC31 that I like,
it's not easy to try try classical guitar in this price range here so I bought it used from a music strore on the web without trying it.

It's much better then my Lapatrie.
I paid 1000$ canadaian for it (about 750USD)

The guitar is in new condition, I mean NEW.

My qestion is,

I really like the yamaha, should I save my money and by a GC42 or et even an 82 (my dream guitar so far)

Or maybe I could upgrade the one I have right now, I was thinking about removing the finish on the top and put a french polish.

SInce the guitar is in very good condition, maybe it would help the sound.

Anybody ever done that?
Yamaha GC-31

630mm

Post by 630mm » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:24 pm

This has been done with what looked like excellent results viewtopic.php?t=29501. I doubt that a newer GC would benefit as much as a model with an early poly finish.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 pm

630mm wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:11 pm
Thanks for your impressions and the side by side pics. What year is that GC3a? I thought they moved to ebonized rosewood instead of ebony starting quite early with the GC3 models. My late 70s and early 80s GC5 models are all rosewood fingerboards. The back grain on that GC3A is very nice btw. I have never tried the higher model Gs but I have heard good things. My 77 GC5M Ezo Spruce Harada guitar is very stiff and heavy and has a higher body resonance around A. Are your G255s and G260s models similar? Are they Ezo spruce too?

I have a late 80s model CG180SA and it definitely is quieter and less rich than any of my GCs. Same with my CG171C. The purfling and rosette on the 180SA are also quite dull.
The GC3A is from 1982. I'm pretty sure that the fretboard is ebony, and the Yamaha guitar archive confirms this. But I'm not 100% sure if my G255s/G260s have ebony fretboards too. The guitar archive says ebony, and it's completely black, but there are too many pores on its surface so it might be ebonized rosewood. Regarding Ezo spruce, the guitar archive says 'solid spruce' only, and I guess it's not Ezo. It's hard to say due to the colored finish. The weight of my GC3A is 1720g, only slightly lighter than my G255s. (I guess the G260s is the same.)
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Yvon wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:29 pm
Hi all,
First message here (after my introduction)

I own a Yamaha GC31 that I like,
it's not easy to try try classical guitar in this price range here so I bought it used from a music strore on the web without trying it.

It's much better then my Lapatrie.
I paid 1000$ canadaian for it (about 750USD)

The guitar is in new condition, I mean NEW.

My qestion is,

I really like the yamaha, should I save my money and by a GC42 or et even an 82 (my dream guitar so far)

Or maybe I could upgrade the one I have right now, I was thinking about removing the finish on the top and put a french polish.

SInce the guitar is in very good condition, maybe it would help the sound.

Anybody ever done that?
Welcome to the forum Yvon.
If your GC31 is in (almost) mint condition then it makes no sense to me to replace the finish. The improvements are very limited and the costs quite high (if you don't do it on your own). If you are not fully satisfied with this guitar then I would sell it and buy another one.
If the GC82 is your dream, and there is a realistic chance that you can fulfill your dream, then I would go in this direction, otherwise you buy the GC42, are not satisfied again, and you still dream your dream...

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 am

630mm wrote:
My 77 GC5M Ezo Spruce Harada guitar is very stiff and heavy and has a higher body resonance around A. Are your G255s and G260s models similar?
I measured the body resonances this morning, and my GC3A is also around A, and the G255s/260s around G/G#. I was not aware of that and it could be a reason why I prefer the sound of the G255s/G260s.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 am

I was playing my 1978 Yamaha GC30A this morning and I can still smell that very sweet fragrance coming out from the sound hole. The smell is much more intense when this guitar is kept in the case for several days.

630mm

Post by 630mm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:33 pm

andreas777 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 am
630mm wrote:
My 77 GC5M Ezo Spruce Harada guitar is very stiff and heavy and has a higher body resonance around A. Are your G255s and G260s models similar?
I measured the body resonances this morning, and my GC3A is also around A, and the G255s/260s around G/G#. I was not aware of that and it could be a reason why I prefer the sound of the G255s/G260s.
Yes, my preference leans more toward the sound of the deeper body resonance guitars as well. I've noticed the A resonance can also cause issues with the open A if the wrong strings are selected. However, I do find the trebles, sustain and particularly the harmonics do seem to appreciate the extra stiffness. You've piqued my interest in the older, longer scale Gs. Which of yours has the lowest end?

My 6D has the lowest resonance of my GCs and is also one of my favorites. It is between G and G#.

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:31 am

I found that a NEW Yamaha GC 70 (Made in 2016) had sold for JPY 1,728,000 or USD$15,600 (at www.j-guitar.com) with the following specification;
Table plate: Solid German Spruce veneer
back-plate: Solid Jacaranda veneer
rod: Honduras Mahogany
Fingerboard: Ebony
Under the bridge: Jacaranda
chord length: 650 mm
fingerboard width (Kamikoma unit / body junction) 52.5 mm / 62 mm
winding: GOTOH 35G510QC -M
paint: Full shellac painted
I attached some photos of this GC70 model here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:40 am

Another NEW model of Top guitar is Yamaha GC 71 made in 2015 selling price at USD $14,050 or JPY 1,555,200 with the following specification:
Table plate: Solid German pine (Spruce) veneer
back-plate: Jacaranda veneer rod:
Honduras mahogany
Fingerboard: Ebony Under the bridge: Jacaranda
chord/ scale length: 650 mm fingerboard width (Kamikoma unit / body junction) 52.5 mm / 62 mm
Tuning machine : GOTOH 35G510QC -M
paint: Full shellac painted
Comes with hard case with suggested retail price ¥ 1,600,000 (excluding tax)
S. Hernandez and Hauser I's sound are sublimed by Yamaha's designing and manufacturing technique and it is a unique approach model. It realizes a heavy bass and a thickly extended treble, and Andrés Segovia is also acclaimed. It is excellent in far reach and makes your performance stand out even at the concert hall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:54 am

A NEW Yamaha GC70 C costs about JPY 1,555,200 (after discount) or USD$ 14,050 with the following specification:
Sheet board: Sugi veneer
back side · Side plate: Hakaranda single plate Neck : Honduras · mahogany
fingerboard: ebony Bridge : hakaranda
Scale length: 650 mm fingerboard width (upper piece part / body joint part) 52.5 mm / 62 mm
Bobbin Tuning Machine: 35 G 510 QC -M
Paint: Full shellac painted
Come with hard case included Suggested retail price ¥ 1,600,000 (excluding tax) This is a rice cedar model of GC-70, using carefully selected rice cedar veneers as the top board. It features sweet, bright and warm tones as a vertex model of Yamaha original sound rice cedar . It was added to one of Segovia's ten collections. Excellent response and rich volume make dynamic representation possible. Yamaha GC 70C is a custom-made guitar. It is a guitar made of the high quality material selected by the Ginza store staff at the workshop. Easy to play, soft overall balanced tone.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:51 pm

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it is recent Yamaha information that would appear to accompany new Grand Concert guitars:

"The History of Yamaha Grand Concert Guitars

We’ve been handcrafting Grand Concert guitars for more than 5 decades—Made by a small team of luthiers one at a time, the old fashioned way from our small Yamaha Music Craft factory in Hammatsu, Japan come the completely handmade Grand Concert (GC) guitars.

While these guys make it look easy to hand shape a neck, free-hand route body binding channels, fit a dovetail joint and bend Honduras mahogany, it is no accident that each and every GC guitar they churn out (only 100 per year) is stunning in it’s clear rich sound quality and consistent in it’s clean build aesthetic.

Our Japanese builders had some very good teachers back in the day—In 1966 legendary Spanish luthier Eduardo Ferrer travelled to our Japanese custom shop to work with our craftsmen and teach them the trade secrets of Spanish guitar making. The fruit of this collaboration was the GC5, GC7 and GC10 guitars. Again in 1973, Yamaha craftsmen were visited by Manuel Hernandez,who brought with him the knowledge of the Spanish luthier craft.

Perhaps the most notable collaborator in our history was the Maestro himself, Mr. Andre Segovia. Segovia evaluated many early concert guitars and chose the now legendary GC71 to add to his large collection of concert guitars. He also selected a cedar top GC70 for his practice guitar at his cottage.

With international players like Baden Powell, Paco de Lucia, Liona Boyd, Eduardo Falu among others, Yamaha has always consulted with the finest artists to provide feedback on our guitars. It is through these close relationships that we are able to build master-grade guitars at a price affordable to most musicians.

We hope you enjoy playing your GC guitar as much as we enjoyed making it!"

Interesting that Segovia selected both a GC71 and a GC70C for his collection. The GC70/C and GC71 were first released in 1983. Of course these cannot be ordered for delivery outside of Japan (CITES restrictions) due to the Brazilian Rosewood sides, back and bridge, which also increases the price substantially.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:07 pm

For comparison, some photos below of the GC82S. This instrument has the same body shape as the GC71 (note the flatter bottom of the lower bout compared to the GC70/C), the same head shape and the same front/back bone tie block edging. A major difference is found in the back/side wood: Brazilian Rosewood for the GC71, Madagascar Rosewood for the GC82S. The rosettes are also different.
GC82S_1.jpg
GC82S_2.jpg
GC82S_3.jpg
GC82S_5.jpg
GC82S_6.jpg
GC82S Rosette_2.jpg
GC82S_8_2.jpg
Finally, a shot of Akio Naniki doing a performance test on a GC71:
Akio Naniki Performance Test GC82S.JPG
1971 Yamaha GC-10

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:17 pm

The thing that got me hooked on Yamaha Grand Concert guitars is the iconic headstock. I prefer spruce. So because of this I have not considered owning the GC82S.

Return to “Luthiers”