Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
nino
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by nino » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Thank you Beowulf! This is most helpful. : )

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:01 am

I would basically avoid those Taiwan made Yamaha GC. They have a tendency to develope "frosted" marks in the finish. Take a look at this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=101737&hilit=Yamaha+GC30

nino
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by nino » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:12 am

This is a concrete and helpful information!
Thank you mr. HNLim! : )

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 pm

A bit of history: two pictures of Baden Powell playing his Yamaha GC71 in Germany in 1986:
Baden Powel Germany 1986_Yamaha GC71.JPG
Baden Powell Germany 1986 Yamaha GC71_2.JPG
From and interview with Guitare & Claviers:

"G&C: Which guitars do you use?
BP: I have played, and still do, a Hopf-guitar. But today I usually play on a Yamaha that
is made of brazilian woods especially for me. It is wonderful."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

User avatar
dta721
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:59 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by dta721 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 am

dandan wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:38 pm
... I used to own a GC3a from the other end of the spectrum. Not in the same league of course, but I was very fond of it all the same. Never played a new high end Yamaha, but the general consensus seems to be they peaked in the 70s.
How did you like the sound of your GC3A? I have an opportunity to buy it from an original owner (have not seen it yet though), just wondering if you have any impression? It has a cedar top, also a solid Rosewood back, however laminated sides. I am holding my breath :) !

dandan
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: newcastle-under-lyme, staffs, England

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by dandan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:00 pm

dta721 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 am
dandan wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:38 pm
... I used to own a GC3a from the other end of the spectrum. Not in the same league of course, but I was very fond of it all the same. Never played a new high end Yamaha, but the general consensus seems to be they peaked in the 70s.
How did you like the sound of your GC3A? I have an opportunity to buy it from an original owner (have not seen it yet though), just wondering if you have any impression? It has a cedar top, also a solid Rosewood back, however laminated sides. I am holding my breath :) !
I liked the GC3a very much at the time. So much in fact that I regretted selling it and bought another of the same model, which I didn't like as much. Whether that was because it wasn't as good an example or more because I'd moved on to higher quality guitars by that time I'm not sure. Still, it was a fine guitar for the price point and if you can get one relatively cheap I'd say go for it!
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80 (Masaru Takeiri)
1988 Hiroumi Yamaguchi SS

richtm
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by richtm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:44 pm

I also got a GC3 once offered and regret that I didn't take it. The owner didn't really take care of it... He had owned it for around 30 years.
I tested it, it still had an amazing sound..However the guitar had some damages to the back, which would have needed some repair. However a shame...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar top; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce top, Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar Double-top

User avatar
dta721
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:59 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by dta721 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks dandan and richtm for your encouraging comments! I did a spend a good part of Saturday morning checking it out. It was an interesting experience, as I now have an idea how a GC3A sounds, very pleasing to my ears, with good projection especially the treble and reasonable sustaining. The bass seems not as strong as the higher end audio, but overall it could have been a buy :okok: ! Physically, the seller give his GC3A a 8/10 condition, with some minor cosmetic blemishes, but structurally very good.

So, why didn't I make an offer -rather give it some time to mull over? My problem is that back in August I already bought a used Almansa 457 which I really like. When asked the manufacturer (Almansa) for info on this guitar with its serial number, they confirmed it was made in 2003. That said, I actually brought it along to play the same tunes on both to see which one I'd prefer. The long and short of this, the Almansa stood its ground very well with overall sounding. When the seller asked what I looked for in his GC3A, I said "volume and clarity", he defended that the CG3A would need a new set of strings to sound brighter. I thought the GC3A already sounds good, relatively easier to play with lower tension strings, and yet able to produce warm and detailed sound, relative to my newer D'Addario Pro Arte High Tension strings.

You can understand that it was difficult for me to leave, and yet not able to make an offer. The seller is in no hurry to find the right owner for this guitar (he was not the original owner, got the original receipt) and likewise understand my indecisiveness. When running this over to my significant other at home, she simply said something like if it were an upgrade to what I have, then by all means. Otherwise, collecting it as a collector we may not have rooms, not to mention in a few years you would or will find something better ...

Wishful thinking: if it were a Spruce top, yes there was such option for the 3A, I would have "collected" it to complement my Cedar top guitar :) !

Seabos
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Seabos » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Well, count me in as a member of the club. I was in Boston the other day on business and my hotel was next to a Guitar Center store. I had some time to kill and while in there I was playing some classical guitars. I was interested in buying something used, small, and inexpensive. I tried over 20 guitars and I kept coming back to this little orange-ish 1979 GC-15A. I loved the tone and could not put it down. I had no knowledge about the guitar and it was not very easy finding info on the web for it. With all that said, the price was $199.99. Call me cheep, but I put it back in the wall and gave myself a day to think about it. The next day I could not get the sound out of my head. So I went back into the store, played it for at least an hour and worked out a deal where they would ship it to my home in Seattle (for free) if I bought it. Needless to say, it was the best deal ever. It played better than any other classical guitar in their store. And after doing some research I consider myself very lucky someone else didn't buy it from under me. I will post a picture next. It looks almost new.

630mm
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by 630mm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 am

Sounds like you got a great deal! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
1976 Masaru Matano 600 Cedar 658mm
2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by rinneby » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:53 am

Seabos wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:27 pm
Well, count me in as a member of the club. I was in Boston the other day on business and my hotel was next to a Guitar Center store. I had some time to kill and while in there I was playing some classical guitars. I was interested in buying something used, small, and inexpensive. I tried over 20 guitars and I kept coming back to this little orange-ish 1979 GC-15A. I loved the tone and could not put it down. I had no knowledge about the guitar and it was not very easy finding info on the web for it. With all that said, the price was $199.99. Call me cheep, but I put it back in the wall and gave myself a day to think about it. The next day I could not get the sound out of my head. So I went back into the store, played it for at least an hour and worked out a deal where they would ship it to my home in Seattle (for free) if I bought it. Needless to say, it was the best deal ever. It played better than any other classical guitar in their store. And after doing some research I consider myself very lucky someone else didn't buy it from under me. I will post a picture next. It looks almost new.
Congratulations, that's a great deal/steal!

/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1997 - Dragan Musulin
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2006 - Casimiro Lozano XXV Aniversario

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 pm

There are several Yamaha GCs on e - b a y. GC30B, GC40, GC50, GC60, GC61 & GC70.

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:07 pm

HNLim wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 pm
There are several Yamaha GCs on e - b a y. GC30B, GC40, GC50, GC60, GC61 & GC70.
Phew: GC70..."YAMAHA GC-70 Acoustic Guitar from japan Made in 2007 used Excellent+++ condition"..."There is paint peeling from the body back to the side. Body top slightly deformed. A lot of scratches by picking, other scratches and scratches are scattered.
Nut exchange, fret adjuster has been adjusted." I don't think i would go near that one at the price! Unless one is prepared for possible repair/restoration and can get the price down.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:34 pm

I would love to see how the GC70 compares to the GC82.

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:59 pm

HNLim wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:34 pm
I would love to see how the GC70 compares to the GC82.
Finding someone who has played both or a store that has both in stock is going to be a tall order. I have never found an audio review of the GC70...though I believe Leona Boyd played a GC 50 in her Tokyo concert (Leona Live in Tokyo, 1983).
Leona Boyd 1982 Yamaha Grand Concert GC 50.jpg
The only review of the GC70 that I have seen emphasized the balance, clarity and piano-like sound with adequate power and projection. The Amadeus Duo video for Yamaha showcases the GC82S/C and Dale & Thomas have played Yamaha GC70Cs for years. They both liked the GC82S/C and found the GC82S sweeter and more lyrical. The GC71 was designed for a slightly "milder" tone due to the reduced headstock angle and increased bass response. Given that the GC82S follows on the tone and design of the GC71, I would expect similar differences when compared to the GC70 although I expect that Yamaha has also increased power and projection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Return to “Luthiers”