Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
mcmurray

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by mcmurray » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:40 pm

Any strings can be made to fit, but to do it properly the nut slots need to be resized to match the strings.

Last time I did a string change I found specifications on the string sizes supplied by the factory, but I can't seem to find that info anywhere now.

Thanks.

mcmurray

Post by mcmurray » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:36 am

I found the specs: http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/musica ... mode=model

Strings are listed as Yamaha S10, after a bit of googling the sizes are as follows, in mm (if anyone else needs them):

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:41 pm

What do you think is a fair price for a GC10D in good but not mint condition?
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

mcmurray

Post by mcmurray » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:53 pm

HNLim wrote:
mcmurray wrote: Are you interested in the Yamaha GC30A for its sound or it's beauty?
I'm attracted to the fine craftsmanship that went into these instruments. If it sounds good that's a bonus.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:13 am

mcmurray wrote:
HNLim wrote:
mcmurray wrote: Are you interested in the Yamaha GC30A for its sound or it's beauty?
I'm attracted to the fine craftsmanship that went into these instruments. If it sounds good that's a bonus.
As far as my GC30A is concern, it is the best sounding guitar I have every listen or played. It is better sounding than the GC82C that I have played.
Last edited by HNLim on Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcmurray

Post by mcmurray » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:08 am

HNLim wrote:
mcmurray wrote:
HNLim wrote:
As far as my GC30A is concern, it is the best sounding guitar I have every listen or played. It is better sounding than the GC82C that I gave played.
If there's a thread somewhere with pics I'd love to see it.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

shomura01_ph01_1.jpg
This isToshiro Kato San, the man who signed many of the Yamaha GCs in the 70's and 80's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Kato signed the GC50 I used to have. I can't remember its date, though. I'm pretty sure it was 90-something.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:27 pm

TheEvan wrote:Kato signed the GC50 I used to have. I can't remember its date, though. I'm pretty sure it was 90-something.
Possibly! He is also responsible for designing the GC70.

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Thinking again. I'm pretty sure it was 1996. Beautiful guitar.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:19 pm

My local music shop has several Yamaha GCs. The top ones, GC42, are out of my price range so I have not even tried them, but I am getting more and more attracted to the sound of the GC32S, which I can't resist playing every time I am there. The price is 2200 CAD. Every time I resist the urge to buy it telling myself it is not a justifiable purchase given my level, and that the CG122MS is quite good enough for my current needs and abilities. And yet, I don't know how long I will be able to keep resisting. It sounds great to me and feels very comfortable to play. They only thing I wish was different is the finish, I prefer matte, but still, the guitar seems to be telling me it is meant for me, to be my one guitar for the rest of my life. One of these days I know I am going to be unable to resist.
Yamaha GC42S

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Francisco wrote:My local music shop has several Yamaha GCs. The top ones, GC42, are out of my price range so I have not even tried them, but I am getting more and more attracted to the sound of the GC32S, which I can't resist playing every time I am there. The price is 2200 CAD. Every time I resist the urge to buy it telling myself it is not a justifiable purchase given my level, and that the CG122MS is quite good enough for my current needs and abilities. And yet, I don't know how long I will be able to keep resisting. It sounds great to me and feels very comfortable to play. They only thing I wish was different is the finish, I prefer matte, but still, the guitar seems to be telling me it is meant for me, to be my one guitar for the rest of my life. One of these days I know I am going to be unable to resist.
The GC32 is a very good guitar. Much better sounding than my former GC41. It is also very well made. Just take a close look at the marquetry inlay. I still insist. It's second to none.
Last edited by HNLim on Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:15 am

Hi Mr Lim

I hadn't see this thread before today. However, coincidentally, in the context of one or two other threads presently going on lamenting the sound of modern guitars ('Orpheo speaks with one voice' and 'Most Guitarists play with Soulless Guitars'), I was reflecting only yesterday that the Yamaha sound is right up there with the 70s Ramirez or Fleta sound that is so often revered.

Watching/listening to Brouwer play in the late 70s is wonderful both because of his playing and the tone/colour of his guitar.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:19 am

a.png
This is the bridge of my GC30A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:39 am

Nick Clow wrote:Hi Mr Lim

I hadn't see this thread before today. However, coincidentally, in the context of one or two other threads presently going on lamenting the sound of modern guitars ('Orpheo speaks with one voice' and 'Most Guitarists play with Soulless Guitars'), I was reflecting only yesterday that the Yamaha sound is right up there with the 70s Ramirez or Fleta sound that is so often revered.

Watching/listening to Brouwer play in the late 70s is wonderful both because of his playing and the tone/colour of his guitar.
I know Brouwer played with a Yamaha GC in the 1970s
This is from the 80s. Does anyone know if he is still playing that Yamaha here?
https://youtu.be/OeX7Y47np7Q?t=202
Yamaha GC42S

Return to “Luthiers”