Contemporary Torres use

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
vesa

Contemporary Torres use

Postby vesa » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:15 pm

I found Andrew York use of 1888 Torres very inspiring.
The major part of Youtube Torres recordings are Tarrega or similar and sometimes guitarists playing Torres guitars can´t make it work because they need so different approach compared to the modern style instruments.
York is playing his contemporary guitar pop in a way that shows that these instruments still are very much alive also when music written 140 years later is played in a modern way.

What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ajTcwJBbw4
Vesa Kuokkanen

David Rubio ws. E. B. Jones 1979
Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Re: Contemporary Torres use

Postby MessyTendon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:58 pm

I think the tonal palate is expressed nicely and it does show how dynamic and balanced the tone of instrument is to this day. It must be the hide glue.

Matthew Stidham

Postby Matthew Stidham » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:01 pm

I've been a huge Andrew York fan since meeting him while still in college, and I am thankful that he chose to perform the pieces he did on that Torres.

Not to hijack the thread, but of additional note is his album "Hauser Sessions" which he recorded on a 1931 Hauser that belonged to Segovia. Similar beauty found in the vintage instruments producing modern music. Truly loved it!

Click the link here to hear those recordings : http://www.andrewyork.net/Discography/HauserSessions.php
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Guitar-ded

Postby Guitar-ded » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:16 pm

I must say that it's nice to see this Torres being used as a guitar rather than idolised as some museum piece.
Nice sound on the video but I always find that Andrew York is easier to listen to than to watch.
A foible of mine, I have many.
:wink:
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

souldier

Postby souldier » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:31 pm

I used to own Cordoba Master Torres. I felt that It had a nice classic sound to it, yet I'd say it is quite versatile and can be used for just about any repertoire if you ask me. The guitar was clear and bright yet full and colorful at the same time. I think these characteristics make for a versatile instrument.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Mikkel

Postby Mikkel » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Check out Carles Trepat, he did a lot of amazing videos with a Torres on the tube :)

Renee's Dad

Postby Renee's Dad » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:32 am

souldier wrote:I used to own Cordoba Master Torres. I felt that It had a nice classic sound to it, yet I'd say it is quite versatile and can be used for just about any repertoire if you ask me. The guitar was clear and bright yet full and colorful at the same time. I think these characteristics make for a versatile instrument.

I have a feeling there will be one of these in my future.
Box, wooden, six strings each.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)
Yamaha CG-170S (mid-80s, owned since '88)

Brian McCombs

Postby Brian McCombs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:43 pm

vesa wrote:sometimes guitarists playing Torres guitars can´t make it work because they need so different approach compared to the modern style instruments.

What in their approach would need to be different?

vesa

Postby vesa » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Brian McCombs wrote:

There is some quite uncharming use of Torres guitars in Youtube. Big names think they can do justice to these instruments by playing them with similar right hand touch that they use when playing modern double tops or lattice, you need to adjust it accordingly.
Vesa Kuokkanen

David Rubio ws. E. B. Jones 1979
Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Gabriele Lodi makes an exact 1888 LE copy that is superb. He owns the original that he can refer to. If you don't know this Italian Luthier it's time to learn about him!! His guitars are wonderful.
Hauser III 2014!

Brian McCombs

Postby Brian McCombs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:20 pm

vesa wrote:
Brian McCombs wrote:

There is some quite uncharming use of Torres guitars in Youtube. Big names think they can do justice to these instruments by playing them with similar right hand touch that they use when playing modern double tops or lattice, you need to adjust it accordingly.

Ahh...I understand.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Postby tom0311 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:01 pm

For those with a lighter budget, the Adalid Torres model I played at LGS was very nice indeed.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

Dave M

Postby Dave M » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Gosh it does remind you just why we all respect Antonio de so much. That it sounds so good after all this time is amazing. And I agree it is great to hear it used simply as a conduit for some great music.
Dave

Grooveman JS

Postby Grooveman JS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:49 am

After hearing some Torres guitars.....I realised that I'm really attracted to this tonal quality; this very balanced sound....the punchy basses & warm but well defined; powerful penetrating trebles.......the inner chord melody definition is fantastic. I'm particularly attracted to the 1888 Torres that Andrew York was playing & another one that Paul Gregory was playing in some auction house..... also an 1888 Torres but this one has a slightly darker sound to the trebles. I like these 1888 ones better than "La Leona"

I absolutely love the Torres sound!
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Grooveman JS

Postby Grooveman JS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:04 pm

I've been researching luthier bios, guitars & also listening to as many videos & sound clips (good quality ones).....in preparation for my next purchase..... Hausers & Torres: I like them both; I'd be hard pressed to chose between the 2......but Luthier Frtiz Ober said in some magazine that a guitar sound some where in between Torres & a Hauser is Ideal. I agree totally :bravo:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Return to “Luthiers”