Richard Reynoso Spruce/Maple Build Thread

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Monteverde

Re: Richard Reynoso Spruce/Maple Build Thread

Post by Monteverde » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:27 am

Hello and thanks to all for your very kind comments. Of course, all acknowledgments really go to Richard Reynoso and all those from whom he has learned and drawn inspiration!
UKsteve wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:47 pm
The loveliest nylon I've ever seen.

Exactly how did he "ebonise" the neck?
larryguitar wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:01 pm
I'm also interested in finding out how the neck was ebonised. James Westbrook ebonised the neck on my Roudhloff replica by veneering a piece of ebony! It was certainly a lot more difficult than painting the neck. It's not easy to veneer curved surfaces. A vacuum press is a good tool for veneering but I don't think he owns one of those devices.
Alexandru Marian wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:34 pm
Truly gorgeous! Perhaps the neck is a dark wood, not ebonized?
Steve, Larry, and Alexandru -- thanks for your question. As you know, some woods are more likely to ebonize well than others; Richard opted for Walnut (although he has told me that he might use Cherry in the future). He drew upon a method involving repeated applications of a bark tea solution (to increase the tannin content of the wood and thereby promote and deepen the color) alternating with an iron solution made from steel wool and vinegar. You can find a very detailed description of the process from the chairmaker Brian Boggs by searching for "Brian Boggs ebonizing wood." Jeremy Clark has made a number of guitars with ebonized necks; it would be interesting to know if he uses a different method.

Although it does not show in the photos, in the sunlight the neck is an extremely deep chocolate brown with tiny golden reflections rather than absolutely jet black -- really beautiful.

Thanks once again to all and best regards,
Jon

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks Jon! I know about the steel wool trick from my furniture building days. So, ebonizing done this way is only for coloration, isn't it? The necks on old romantic guitars were painted black using Lampblack and shellac, from what I have read. I guess none of these techniques make for a smoother neck, do they?

Monteverde

Post by Monteverde » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:53 pm

larryguitar wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:30 am
Thanks Jon! I know about the steel wool trick from my furniture building days. So, ebonizing done this way is only for coloration, isn't it? The necks on old romantic guitars were painted black using Lampblack and shellac, from what I have read. I guess none of these techniques make for a smoother neck, do they?
Hi Larry --

Yes, ebonizing in this way is only for coloration; however, since it creates a chemical reaction within the wood between the tannins and the iron, the depth of the coloration tends to be greater than with a stain. The greater depth of coloration then permits fine sanding of the neck prior to finishing. Richard Reynoso considered using an oil finish on the neck, but ultimately chose to use French polish, and it has the same glossy, smooth FP finish and feel as the rest of the guitar.

Best regards,
Jon

liapunov84

Post by liapunov84 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 am

Beautiful instrument. I love the black neck! Now it is time to play and enjoy it :)

bpaia

Post by bpaia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Is this the guitar just listed @ GSI?

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 am

bpaia wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm
Maybe it was ordered through GSI? It is listed as "on hold".

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:02 am

bpaia wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm
Good detective work! :wink:

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 pm

The guitar was a commission, GSI never had it. They represent Reynoso and show some of his pre-sold guitars (to give Richard exposure and presumably to take orders for similar instruments if it catches the eye of any buyers).

My guitar also got a similar listing even though I acquired it direct from Richard.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Aha!

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:44 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 pm
The guitar was a commission, GSI never had it. They represent Reynoso and show some of his pre-sold guitars (to give Richard exposure and presumably to take orders for similar instruments if it catches the eye of any buyers).

My guitar also got a similar listing even though I acquired it direct from Richard.
Are you sure, Peter? The guirar is "on hold" and fitted with a price tag. Under these circumstances it should be a real Reynoso instrument, available for clients and not a showcase placebo.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Monteverde

Post by Monteverde » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:15 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:44 pm
Are you sure, Peter?
Yes, Peter is correct, I commissioned the guitar directly from Richard Reynoso. I do believe that if GSI wishes to show the directly-commissioned guitars of the luthiers they represent -- which could be advantageous to both GSI and those luthiers -- they should establish a "Luthier's Portfolio" section for each luthier they represent, thereby allowing potential buyers to review that luthier's work, but without pricing or the implication that GSI sold those guitars (if they did not in fact do so).

Best regards,
Jon

Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Post by Alexandru Marian » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:10 pm

And yet another nail in my "I'll never work with dealers" coffin.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:47 pm

I think GSI is doing a great deed keeping history Luthier guitars. Anybody in the future wanting to buy a used guitar from these Luthier will have another reference for authentication.

Jon,

How is your new guitar doing?

Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm

As the commissioner of one of the guitars, I don't mind. I have professional photos if I ever needed to sell plus video clips on line from Tavi. I am pretty sure when mine got its listing it was shown as "Not for sale" which I think is a more accurate representation than "On hold" which has been used for the last instrument.

Monteverde

Post by Monteverde » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:09 am

Justfun wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:47 pm
I think GSI is doing a great deed keeping history Luthier guitars. Anybody in the future wanting to buy a used guitar from these Luthier will have another reference for authentication.

Fred
petermc61 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm
As the commissioner of one of the guitars, I don't mind. I have professional photos if I ever needed to sell plus video clips on line from Tavi. I am pretty sure when mine got its listing it was shown as "Not for sale" which I think is a more accurate representation than "On hold" which has been used for the last instrument.
Hi Fred and Peter --

In response to a request made earlier today by Richard Reynoso, who wished to dispel any confusion about the status of the instrument, GSI has updated its listing of this guitar to "Not for Sale," the more accurate representation to which you refer, while still allowing both Richard and GSI to benefit from displaying the guitar on its site.

As to the guitar itself, Fred, well, as you know it is hard to describe without resorting to cliches. I am struck by how it combines resonance yet clarity, and roundness yet purity of tone. I am looking forward to when Richard posts the video he made of Taso Comanescu playing it, so that you can hear it for yourself.

Best regards,
Jon

Return to “Luthiers”