Good Vs. Evil- Unique Discussion of Spruce Vs. Cedar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Good Vs. Evil- Unique Discussion of Spruce Vs. Cedar

Post by Dustin McKinney » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:45 pm

It's a tale as old as time. Good Vs. Evil, Hero Vs. Villain, Batman Vs. Joker, etc....

So, with this in mind, if you were to take the qualities of Spruce and the qualities of Cedar and apply them to either Hero or Villain, which side would play Spruce/Cedar and why?
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

Lovemyguitar

Re: Good Vs. Evil- Unique Discussion of Spruce Vs. Cedar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:03 pm

The enrichment and enlightenment that is brought to people's lives from the study and learning of the classical guitar and its music will fill their hearts with goodness and purity. Therefore, regardless of how dark their souls may have been at the outset, all players will be heroes, and as to whether they play cedar or spruce, it will not matter one bit.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:53 pm

This topic came up a few years ago and I repeat my reply:

It begins when I unhook her case and that distinctive smell hits me. The dark color of her skin and warm low tone of her voice keeps me coming back everyday. When I've finished, I continue to stare at her across the room, but I digress. I like cedar.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:17 pm

bear wrote:This topic came up a few years ago and I repeat my reply:

It begins when I unhook her case and that distinctive smell hits me. The dark color of her skin and warm low tone of her voice keeps me coming back everyday. When I've finished, I continue to stare at her across the room, but I digress. I like cedar.
Bravo! I thought I was the only one.

From observation, I would guess that most people here have both types of guitars and will choose to remain quiet or state that they each have their own strengths.

I am one who votes for cedar because I discovered early on that I should only have factory guitars, and later that cedar factory guitars sound better to me. Space constraints dictated only 2-3 guitars and I could not add a spruce for variety. I just had factory cedars.

Many here are (vocal) traditionalists :) Well we all know CGers are conservative. They strongly prefer "spruce fan braced" instruments a la Torres. So anyone asking for an opinion would probably hear from them (basically their version of the "strengths" of spruce eg wide tonal palette).

So I vote that cedar is not evil. My 2 cents.
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:48 pm

spruce is good. cedar is clearly on the dark side.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Spruce is delicate....somewhat dry and may crack under the strain of inhospitable environmental conditions--not necessarily evil. Cedar is more pliant, more robust...perfect for the lyrical musical voice I've chosen to be MY voice. My hero is Cedar...which can stand up to what life throws its way. :-D
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:44 pm

lagartija wrote:My hero is Cedar...which can stand up to what life throws its way. :-D
Unless you're the one building the guitar, in which case it stands up to nothing until you've given it a few coats of shellac!

Smells wonderful though, and as I am fond of smells it is my hero too. Opening the case of a cedar guitar is lovely, and I tend to prefer cedar guitars. To me they seem more versatile.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Post by Andy Culpepper » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:39 am

Cedar is the definition of evil as far as guitar makers are concerned. Oops, I grabbed the unbraced top a little too firmly and it snapped in half. Oops, my binding router bit wasn't quite as sharp as it used to be and there goes a chunk of the top. Oops, I bumped into it with the corner of the scraper and now there's a gouge. Spruce is like a reliable old Golden Retriever, Cedar is moody feline. But I do like Cedar guitars...

bear

Post by bear » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:55 am

guitarseller345645 wrote:
bear wrote:This topic came up a few years ago and I repeat my reply:

Bravo! I thought I was the only one.

From observation, I would guess that most people here have both types of guitars and will choose to remain quiet or state that they each have their own strengths.

I am one who votes for cedar because I discovered early on that I should only have factory guitars, and later that cedar factory guitars sound better to me. Space constraints dictated only 2-3 guitars and I could not add a spruce for variety. I just had factory cedars.

Many here are (vocal) traditionalists :) Well we all know CGers are conservative. They strongly prefer "spruce fan braced" instruments a la Torres. So anyone asking for an opinion would probably hear from them (basically their version of the "strengths" of spruce eg wide tonal palette).

So I vote that cedar is not evil. My 2 cents.
I have been fortunate to have owned several of each. I have a tendency to give them away (more than 20 thus far). The only guitars I have at the moment are those in my signature. I can appreciate the qualities of both and I believe that some pieces sound better on the spruce 6 string than the cedar 6 string but I prefer the sound of the cedar. I also prefer an alto to a soprano.
I haven't played anything but my 10 string (cedar) for several months. I guess it's all about that base.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:06 am

To me cedar classical guitars do smell very nice, especially every time one opens up the guitar case! :)

mlau

Post by mlau » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:17 am

Regarding guitars, I'm an agnostic hedonistic polygamist.

In life, not so much.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:42 am

I love Cedar. Walking through stately groves in a mild rain, perhaps with the sound of ocean waves pounding nearby, is magical, one of life's great joys. Better still is playing a Spruce top guitar.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:36 am

The cedar vs. spruce topic has been coming up quite a bit lately. The fact is they are both villains. The real unsung hero here is carbon fibre... super light, ultra strong, immune to environmental changes, highly consistent results, not on CITES, beautiful grain pattern... simply amazing.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

vesa

Post by vesa » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:33 pm

It is always good to saddle two horses.
Vesa Kuokkanen

David Rubio ws. E. B. Jones 1979
Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:45 pm

JR3 was on to something with his blancas made with cedar and real cypress--a wonder mix of aromas. carbon fiber? beautiful grain?
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Return to “Luthiers”