Good Vs. Evil- Unique Discussion of Spruce Vs. Cedar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Re: Good Vs. Evil- Unique Discussion of Spruce Vs. Cedar

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:46 am

souldier wrote:Marcus Dominelli wrote:
I once had a client come in my shop inquiring about me building a custom classical....back in the days before I made double tops (so the spruce versus cedar question still had much relevance).
This fellow was convinced that cedar was the best wood, and he could not well enjoy a spruce guitar. Needless to say he was a bit shocked when I pointed out to him that his "cedar top" Japanese classical was actually spruce that was sprayed to look like cedar. This "cedar" guitar that he had been playing for all those years was in fact spruce.
He never ordered a guitar from me. I think he was so in shock that he had to go back to his den and mull over everything that had happened to his Universe....

Really enjoyed this story. You probably trigged a serious mid life crisis in this guys life.
I may have triggered one for him, but that's OK; I'm probably going through a mid life crisis too...

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:53 am

bear wrote:This topic came up a few years ago and I repeat my reply:

It begins when I unhook her case and that distinctive smell hits me. The dark color of her skin and warm low tone of her voice keeps me coming back everyday. When I've finished, I continue to stare at her across the room, but I digress. I like cedar.
Yikes Bear - what did you do to her, and how long has she been in that case to be looking and smelling like that? :lol:
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

bear

Post by bear » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:10 am

Contreras wrote:
bear wrote:This topic came up a few years ago and I repeat my reply:

It begins when I unhook her case and that distinctive smell hits me. The dark color of her skin and warm low tone of her voice keeps me coming back everyday. When I've finished, I continue to stare at her across the room, but I digress. I like cedar.
Yikes Bear - what did you do to her, and how long has she been in that case to be looking and smelling like that? :lol:
I don't kiss and tell but we do it everyday for about an hour and a half.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Luthiers”