Interesting Neck Block on Yamaha

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
beanctr

Interesting Neck Block on Yamaha

Postby beanctr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:23 pm

I thought the neck block on my Yamaha GC42S was interesting. It does not touch the back of the guitar, there is about 1/4 -3/8" between the block and the back. I tried to take a photo. Also on the outside the little end block is not flush with the back, its a little shorter. Is it possible this neck is removable?

I also had a GC32C, although in the same line the neck construction was different, the traditional style. Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Guitar Hobbyist"

Brian McCombs

Re: Interesting Neck Block on Yamaha

Postby Brian McCombs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Well....they are all removable. :D

I don't know the guitar and the picture is deceiving...I can perceive a gap I guess but it doesn't appear 1/4 or anywhere near 3/8 of an inch....I'll take your word for it. I would think even for a removable neck the block should be well adhered to the back as this provides much support.

Is it possible that it is simply undercut. I've thought of undercutting mine, but only by about a 1/16 or 1/32 gap and perhaps only 1/8" deep. I'd do this to hide glue squeeze-out. It's a pain to pick it out after it has dried. Tap on the back up near the heel....you should hear a tight tap sound vs and hollow sound where the block is adhered to the back. If you stick a feeler gage or something thin into the gap I suspect it stops just behind the leading edge, it is likely shallow. If not, then I apparently know nothing.
Last edited by Brian McCombs on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brian McCombs

Postby Brian McCombs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:43 pm

omit

Gordon Guttmann
Amateur luthier

Postby Gordon Guttmann » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:24 am

It's hard to see. I hate to say it but, it looks like the block is sitting on the back strip.

Sequoia

Postby Sequoia » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:42 pm

May be a case of disgruntle employee trying to ruin Yamaha reputation.

Return to “Luthiers”