Jim Norris Guitars

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Tim Johnson

Jim Norris Guitars

Post by Tim Johnson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Hello! I'm re-posting this in the luthier forum as I made a mistake posting originally to the general area of the site. I thought that members might be interested in seeing a couple guitars built by Wisconsin luthier Jim Norris. I'm restoring these after they had a few tough years in a barn!

Both instruments have non-traditional bracing. Guitar #1 has a yellow stranded bracing material bonded to the top. Wondering if anyone has encountered the material used in the photo below? Possibly kevlar? Anybody have info regarding this bracing design?

Guitar #2 appears to have laminated spruce and carbon fiber bracing. The pictured pattern is repeated on each side of the center seam. I think this may be an alternate bracing pattern to the Smallman lattice braced designs that Mr. Norris was working on at that time. Looking forward to hearing from any Jim Norris owners out there. Thanks! Tim "Wisconsin" Johnson
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter_T
Amateur luthier

Re: Jim Norris Guitars

Post by Peter_T » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:04 pm

Can you zoom in as much as possible on the first pic? Looks like tennis racquet strings at that resolution :)

Tim Johnson

Post by Tim Johnson » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:56 am

Hi Peter,
The pic is high res but I had to dumb it down to post it. I woukd be happy to email the shot if you want a better image. Tim

Jim Frieson

Post by Jim Frieson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:25 am

In case of your interest , there is an article on Jim Norris by Brent Benfield , in issue # 89 . Spring 2007 GAL issue of American Lutherie .
Six pages quite well illustrated and going over his working methods .

Tim Johnson

Post by Tim Johnson » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Jim Frieson wrote:In case of your interest , there is an article on Jim Norris by Brent Benfield , in issue # 89 . Spring 2007 GAL issue of American Lutherie .
Six pages quite well illustrated and going over his working methods .
Thanks Jim! I'll take a look at that issue. Best,Tim

mando48

Post by mando48 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:18 am

Richard Brune liked Jim Norris. As did many other Luther's.
I have played only one of his guitars, which was singularly unremarkable..but that is very limited experience.
Rick

Return to “Luthiers”