Daniel Friederich

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Peter5

Daniel Friederich

Postby Peter5 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:18 pm

As we all know the great Daniel Friederich (who has well-deserved retired from building fabulous guitars) has lived through many different areas of guitar building ( like probably every luthier ). Those are described nicely in the Orfeo magazine. Very early phase in the late 50´s, then spruce phase with lighter guitars until early 70´s, then heavier cedar guitars from the 70´s, towards the end he got back to spruce.
I would be interested in: what is your favorite phase and resulting guitars and why ?

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I know there is outstanding expertise in this forum.

Maybe this topic has been raised earlier ( I am quite sure in one or another way...), just let me know where to find it.

Cheers
Peter

petermc61

Re: Daniel Friederich

Postby petermc61 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 am

I like the 70s-80s cedar guitars because they define (to me) what we typically think of as the Friederich sound. Powerful, sustaining, cavernous, caramel coloured. Others like the earlier, lighter spruce guitars. I have only played one of those and my observation was that it could have been made by any number of good 'spruce centric' luthiers. I didn't find anything that stuck out as a character I could attribute to him.

David Schramm
Luthier

Postby David Schramm » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:26 am

I like the latest ones. Over the past 30 years I've played many of his guitars . When Julian Byzantine came to visit me several years ago he had a 2005 which I really liked. But I've played newer onse that were also incredible. Not a big fan of the older ones.
David Schramm
www.schrammguitars.com
www.ClovisGuitarLessons.com
www.FresnoGuitarLessons.com

Portland Bill

Postby Portland Bill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:43 am

petermc61 wrote:I like the 70s-80s cedar guitars because they define (to me) what we typically think of as the Friederich sound. Powerful, sustaining, cavernous, caramel coloured. Others like the earlier, lighter spruce guitars. I have only played one of those and my observation was that it could have been made by any number of good 'spruce centric' luthiers. I didn't find anything that stuck out as a character I could attribute to him.

Never played a later one but played a couple of late 60's spruce and I would agree.

riffmeister

Postby riffmeister » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:01 pm

petermc61 wrote:I like the 70s-80s cedar guitars because they define (to me) what we typically think of as the Friederich sound. Powerful, sustaining, cavernous, caramel coloured. Others like the earlier, lighter spruce guitars. I have only played one of those and my observation was that it could have been made by any number of good 'spruce centric' luthiers. I didn't find anything that stuck out as a character I could attribute to him.

Nice description of the 80s guitars. I've only played one, a cedar/Indian from 1980. This was at GSI in 1996. I still remember that guitar very well, the sound was absolutely captivating.! So much so that I lingered at GSI for a bit too long and wound up missing my flight back home that evening!!!!

Peter5

Postby Peter5 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks for your responses, really interesting. Seams that there is not really big interest in the earlier spruce ones.
Cheers
Peter

astro64

Postby astro64 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:32 pm

Peter5 wrote:Thanks for your responses, really interesting. Seams that there is not really big interest in the earlier spruce ones.
Cheers
Peter

I wouldn't go by the few responses here to draw that conclusion....They seem to sell pretty well when they are on the market. Miles at Kent Guitars seems to prefer them over the later cedar models. Tastes vary. On the various recordings I have heard of the 60s spruce Frederichs the sound is very good, excellent clarity combined with sweetness. But I haven't heard one live, let alone played any and it is interesting to read the opinions of those who have.

Portland Bill

Postby Portland Bill » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:39 pm

The man himself obviously thought his later instruments were better, otherwise he wouldn't have built them.

astro64

Postby astro64 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Portland Bill wrote:The man himself obviously thought his later instruments were better, otherwise he wouldn't have built them.

Absolutely, yes. Friederich kept experimenting, documenting, trying new things, yet staying within the tradition. I do love the sound of his cedar instruments.

ronjazz

Postby ronjazz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:46 pm

The man himself obviously thought that cedar was a limited sound, since he went back to spruce.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Postby Chris Sobel » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Hahaha... some good responses here. There are definitely a lot of people I run into that prefer his spruce guitars from the 60's and early 70's. Like a lot of people here I also tend to like his cedar guitars from the 70's on, but the market is now very strong for his early guitars as well.

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

Portland Bill

Postby Portland Bill » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:27 pm

ronjazz wrote:The man himself obviously thought that cedar was a limited sound, since he went back to spruce.

No he didn't

http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p4647- ... -cdin.html

bacsidoan

Postby bacsidoan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Chris Sobel wrote:Hahaha... some good responses here. There are definitely a lot of people I run into that prefer his spruce guitars from the 60's and early 70's. Like a lot of people here I also tend to like his cedar guitars from the 70's on, but the market is now very strong for his early guitars as well.

Chris

They are not exactly inexpensive either. The Concert spruce model is very hard to find. A Recital spruce model (1964) is priced at 22000 Euros at Siccas Guitars.

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Postby Chris Sobel » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:20 pm

Portland Bill wrote:
ronjazz wrote:The man himself obviously thought that cedar was a limited sound, since he went back to spruce.

No he didn't

http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p4647- ... -cdin.html

As a clarification, Friederich started using spruce again towards the end of his career, but not exclusively. In the interview with Andrea Tacchi he talks about Spruce worked very thin with brazilian "approaching" cedar guitars.

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

Ken Whisler
Luthier

Postby Ken Whisler » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:09 am

The cedar Friederich I witnessed Eduardo Fernandez play in a VERY unforgiving hall in the 80's was phenomenal. The only guitar that even came close in the same hall was Fred Hand's Gilbert. FWIW, I've witnessed many guitars in that same awful hall, including the 39' Hauser Bream took out on his tour in the mid 90's.

I played a 60's spruce Friederich in Jerry Roberts' store in the mid 90's. Meh. Played it for ten seconds and put it down.
Ken Whisler, guitarist and luthier

Return to “Luthiers”