1940 Hauser

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Portland Bill

1940 Hauser

Postby Portland Bill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:29 am

rinneby

Re: 1940 Hauser

Postby rinneby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 am

Very nice! It reminds me much of my Kono.

/Jon
1965 Masaru Kono No.5
1972 Yamaha GC3D
1983 Ryoji Matsuoka M50
1999 Masaki Sakurai Concert-J
2015 Amalio Burguet 1A Limited Series

And then some more...

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:52 am

That's the guitar upon which Simon Ambridge, the photographer there of course (and a mighty fine taker of photos) based his Hauser model. Of which I'm lucky enough to see two now every week 8)
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:18 am

Nice. I own a couple of copies of that guitar. Both excellent. It would be amazing to play the original.

Portland Bill

Postby Portland Bill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 am

Grooveman JS

Postby Grooveman JS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:59 am

I've been researching luthier bios, guitars & also listening to as many videos & sound clips (good quality ones).....in preparation for my next purchase..... Hausers & Torres: I like them both; I'd be hard pressed to chose between the 2......but Luthier Frtiz Ober said in some magazine that a guitar sound some where in between Torres & a Hauser is Ideal. I agree totally :bravo:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

SeanWinkler

Postby SeanWinkler » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Grooveman JS wrote:I've been researching luthier bios, guitars & also listening to as many videos & sound clips (good quality ones).....in preparation for my next purchase..... Hausers & Torres: I like them both; I'd be hard pressed to chose between the 2......but Luthier Frtiz Ober said in some magazine that a guitar sound some where in between Torres & a Hauser is Ideal. I agree totally :bravo:

You should talk to Aaron Green about his smaller-bodied Romanillos/Torres/Hauser inspired guitar. I opted for this over his larger plantilla and I'm thrilled with the results. If you're ever in the Boston area, feel free to get in touch, and definitely schedule a visit with Aaron!
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Portland Bill

Postby Portland Bill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:46 pm

If you look carefully it appears to have a 2 piece fingerboard, this is the same as on the 1940 Hauser that Bream used, were they built like this or is it a later addition to fix a high action ?

http://www.loweguitars.co.uk/index.php/ ... n/hauser-i

Grooveman JS

Postby Grooveman JS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:33 pm

SeanWinkler wrote:
Grooveman JS wrote:I've been researching luthier bios, guitars & also listening to as many videos & sound clips (good quality ones).....in preparation for my next purchase..... Hausers & Torres: I like them both; I'd be hard pressed to chose between the 2......but Luthier Frtiz Ober said in some magazine that a guitar sound some where in between Torres & a Hauser is Ideal. I agree totally :bravo:

You should talk to Aaron Green about his smaller-bodied Romanillos/Torres/Hauser inspired guitar. I opted for this over his larger plantilla and I'm thrilled with the results. If you're ever in the Boston area, feel free to get in touch, and definitely schedule a visit with Aaron!

Hi Sean
I did do some research on his website; much of the time listening to that "Bouchet" guitar.....after listening to so many clips, my ears are attuned to Torres/Hauser/Bouchet.....my fave CG sounds in that order. Thanks for the lead on Aaron G; that's definitely an option.....yesssss i do like the smaller plantilla guitars ......do you have some videos or sound clips of his Torres or Hauser guitars? :?:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

gjo

Postby gjo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Portland Bill wrote:... is it a later addition to fix a high action ? ... i

Yes it is.

In this 1940 I plated the fingerboard to correct a high action and also to correct the intonation. IIRC it was done as well by Gary Southwell with the 1940 ex-Rose Augustine that Bream played.

Portland Bill

Postby Portland Bill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Thank you Gerhard

Aaron Green
Luthier

Postby Aaron Green » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Grooveman JS wrote:
SeanWinkler wrote:

Hi Sean
I did do some research on his website; much of the time listening to that "Bouchet" guitar.....after listening to so many clips, my ears are attuned to Torres/Hauser/Bouchet.....my fave CG sounds in that order. Thanks for the lead on Aaron G; that's definitely an option.....yesssss i do like the smaller plantilla guitars ......do you have some videos or sound clips of his Torres or Hauser guitars? :?:

Thank you Sean!

Please see this video which is what I call my " Romanillos inspired" model; partially because "Llobet model Hauser inspired model" is way too cumbersome. Romanillos is very much part of that lineage and as such a Romanillos guitar is his own thing and at the same time his expression and integration of designs and concepts directly attributed to Hauser and Torres. I like to think of my own evolution in the same manner and to that end, the real truth is this model is a smaller bodied Aaron Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYIejZVCVaw

If you are in the market for a real Hauser I, I have this guitar and another one the way that is pretty damn mint. Far more $ than one of mine but for those who can and care...feel free to give me a call.:)

Link to copyright material removed; search YouTube for Frank Wallace Cancion by Mompou
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

souldier

Postby souldier » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 pm

The chladni test of that Hauser looks very impressive.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

2014 James Frieson | Swiss Spruce . Madagascar Rosewood

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:57 pm

souldier wrote:The chladni test of that Hauser looks very impressive.

Ah! I just thought it needed a shave.

Dave M

Postby Dave M » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Yes now I was going to say that.

The builder has got the node line right out near the edge of the top. This means that there is more top surface radiating sound in the monopole mode, and less of the out of phase area thus giving greater volume. Similar testing on my builds puts the node line a good 25/30 mm in from the top/ side joint. I wonder how he achieved that. Even more pronounced in the cross dipole mode.

Do we know what sort of linings he used at the top side joint?
Dave

Return to “Luthiers”