Kevin Aram commission

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
130161martin

Kevin Aram commission

Post by 130161martin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi All…

I'm afraid I'm not one to post a blow-by-blow build thread myself (although I enjoy viewing other members' projects!), but I hope you don't mind me sharing this one…

It's a few weeks off completion now, but I've been on (UK luthier) Kevin Aram's waiting list for almost three years now, and at long last it's finally happening!

This is one of Kevin's Torres-style guitars (on which he's largely built his reputation), in Indian Rosewood and Spruce, with a strip of English Yew down the centre of the back, echoed on the headstock.

I asked him to do something a little different with the soundhole rosette (which is something I've always liked to 'personalise' a guitar with, and he came up with the design pictured.

This is something completely different from anything Kevin's done before - so much so that a Facebook contact of mine (also a classical guitar luthier) recognised the workshop…but not the workmanship! :)

I hope you enjoy the pictures…
Back.jpg
Bracing.jpg
Front.jpg
Headstock.jpg
Rosette.jpg

Cheers,

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jack Douglas

Re: Kevin Aram commission

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Beautiful! Congratulations!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Lucky you. Kevin makes great guitars. And I do like that rose! Beautiful quality of spruce too.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Congratulations! I have an Aram Torres from 2009, which is wonderful in every way. I waited 2 years then, and it felt like a very long time. I'm addicted to the oil finish!
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

130161martin

Post by 130161martin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Thank you, Kjetil. I must admit, I was initially a little concerned about how best to look after an instrument with an oil finish - but Kevin has assured me (in advance) of its durability, and also how much easier it is to touch up/repair etc. How have you found yours?

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:08 pm

You must be aware of humidity, as always. I was careless during winter once and the result was a small gap in the joint of the 3-piece back. I haven't repaired it, and mr. Aram said I didn't have to. It's not there in summer. I learned to always keep my guitars in their case, with a humidity device (sponge). I sometimes put my guitar in the shower AFTER I've taken one :-) and leave it for an hour or until it's around 40% humidity. I chose to order from Kevin because of the oil finish and because of the Torres replica. I usually wear out finish just from holding it tight :-)
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

130161martin

Post by 130161martin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 pm

:) We are fairly lucky where we live (inland), in so far as there is little risk of extremes in either temperature or humidity. However, I was thinking of perhaps checking this product out:

Mod edit; direct link to commercial site removed. Search for Daddario Two-Way Humidification System
A friend of mine who lives in India uses them for his acoustic guitars and seems to recommend them, and a local classical guitar dealership also keeps them in stock.

Thanks for your advice, Kjetil - and good to make your acquaintance!

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:35 pm

very nice! i love kevin's guitars

Monteverde

Post by Monteverde » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Beautiful! The clean lines and elegant, understated design are truly hallmarks of Kevin Aram's work. Many years of enjoyment to you.

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Nice, rosette design is very cool and unique. Very tastefully done guitar, congratulations!

Please post some pics of the finished guitar after you receive it.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:53 pm

I love the look of Kevin Aram guitars. Stunningly simple. I noticed how thick the heel caps are on some of his guitars, saves you fiddling around getting the binding into the Cedrela part of the heel I suppose. I think it looks great, really nice touch. I am a BIG fan of oil finishes as well 8)
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

Pinewhisp

Post by Pinewhisp » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Beautiful, especially the rosette. Is it known what woods were used in the rosette?

Kevin Ryan (Pinewhisp)

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Wow, such a beautiful rosette!

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Looks very nice. Like others have already said, the rosette is amazing. I bet you're getting excited now!!

P.S. what did the headstock do to deserve such a harsh punishment. :lol:

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:13 pm

130161martin wrote:I must admit, I was initially a little concerned about how best to look after an instrument with an oil finish - but Kevin has assured me (in advance) of its durability, and also how much easier it is to touch up/repair etc.

I was looking at a used Aram last year. Guitar was structurally fine and sounded fine also but the finish was completely destroyed pretty much everywhere, right through to the bare wood. That's great - the guy who has owned it had played it daily for years. Bravo. It was prett tatty though and I had to factor in the price of a refinish.

However, when I asked Mr. Aram about a refinish he refused to do it. So I assume oil is easy to repair, as long as someone else does it.

Return to “Luthiers”