Sol Y Luna.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
spanishguitarmusic

Re: Luna Y Sol.

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:37 am

Wow, what a beautiful looking classical guitar! The spruce top is fantastic and the headstock looked wonderful! :merci: for posting these pictures.

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:25 am

FHC wrote:Is Sol Y Luna for sale?
No, it was built on commission, but thanks for asking.
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

oski79

Post by oski79 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Jason Wolverton wrote: I must have been tired last night...or dyslexic...or perhaps just getting old. It's actually Sol Y Luna.
Jason, I corrected the title in the original post for you. Beautiful work, as usual!
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Re: Sol Y Luna.

Post by Jason Wolverton » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:36 pm

oski79 wrote:
Jason Wolverton wrote: I must have been tired last night...or dyslexic...or perhaps just getting old. It's actually Sol Y Luna.
Jason, I corrected the title in the original post for you. Beautiful work, as usual!
Thanks!!!
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:06 pm

That is a lovely headstock.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Gorgeous instrument ... Would love to hear her voice
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:27 pm

FHC wrote:Is Sol Y Luna for sale?

wowww......that's quick :lol: :lol:

Great work....beautiful guitar......really like the edge binding design; the strip on the back looks great! :bravo:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Gordon Guttmann
Amateur luthier

Post by Gordon Guttmann » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:53 pm

The guitar is a joy to see. Beautiful, thoughtful craftsmanship! Bravo!

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:57 pm

I had had every intention to keep the good news to myself, but eventually felt that it would be a disservice to Jason Wolverton not to put in a plug for this magnificent instrument. Yes, I am the guy who paid for the privilege of being the steward of the guitar, and here is my evaluation after playing and examining it for the last two days:

Aesthetics wise, the displayed pictures are adequate in showing off the beauty of the guitar, but do not do justice to the impeccable workmanship involved: the perfect execution of the Romanillos style V-joint; the sharp, even, well defined carving lines of the recessed headstock; the tasteful binding & purfling; the invisible seams of the resawn Madgascar rosewood back... The playabilty of the instrument is also excellent, thanks to the well crowned EVO gold frets and well-shaped neck. In fact, my only regret is that the scale is 650 mm instead of 645 mm (for my small hands). I opted for the "standard" scale for the purpose of retaining the "resale" value, shame on me for not having enough confidence in the Master.

As for the sound, the intonation is dead on for the strings that Jason installed. The bass notes are firm, resonant and powerful. However, we all know that most competent guitar builders are capable of producing good basses, it is the quality of the trebles that separates the masters from the pretenders. The guitar generates not just singing trebles but highly lyrical ones with a breathy, human like voice with plenty of formants. I particularly like the mid range notes from the G-string which are purely magical. I suspect that the slanted treble bar on the sound board has something to do with this magics. I wish I could provide a sound sample, but unfortunately I have neither the time, the skill nor the wherewithal to do the instrument justice.

In summary, I would recommend this builder to any one without any reservations.

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:47 pm

bacsidoan wrote:I had had every intention to keep the good news to myself, but eventually felt that it would be a disservice to Jason Wolverton not to put in a plug for this magnificent instrument. Yes, I am the guy who paid for the privilege of being the steward of the guitar, and here is my evaluation after playing and examining it for the last two days:

Aesthetics wise, the displayed pictures are adequate in showing off the beauty of the guitar, but do not do justice to the impeccable workmanship involved: the perfect execution of the Romanillos style V-joint; the sharp, even, well defined carving lines of the recessed headstock; the tasteful binding & purfling; the invisible seams of the resawn Madgascar rosewood back... The playabilty of the instrument is also excellent, thanks to the well crowned EVO gold frets and well-shaped neck. In fact, my only regret is that the scale is 650 mm instead of 645 mm (for my small hands). I opted for the "standard" scale for the purpose of retaining the "resale" value, shame on me for not having enough confidence in the Master.

As for the sound, the intonation is dead on for the strings that Jason installed. The bass notes are firm, resonant and powerful. However, we all know that most competent guitar builders are capable of producing good basses, it is the quality of the trebles that separates the masters from the pretenders. The guitar generates not just singing trebles but highly lyrical ones with a breathy, human like voice with plenty of formants. I particularly like the mid range notes from the G-string which are purely magical. I suspect that the slanted treble bar on the sound board has something to do with this magics. I wish I could provide a sound sample, but unfortunately I have neither the time, the skill nor the wherewithal to do the instrument justice.

In summary, I would recommend this builder to any one without any reservations.
CONGRATS! Enjoy your instrument :bravo:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:00 am

Thank you.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Congrats on the latest, Doan.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

bushweek

Post by bushweek » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:06 am

wow! this has got to be the aston martin of guitars! just amazing :)

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:55 pm

bushweek wrote:wow! this has got to be the aston martin of guitars! just amazing :)

Thanks, man. What a compliment!

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:56 pm

...And thanks for all the other compliments. Helps me keep going!

Return to “Luthiers”