Sol Y Luna.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
joeidaho

Re: Sol Y Luna.

Post by joeidaho » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:59 pm

Sr. bacsidoan, no regrets allowed for acquiring this epic guitar. 5mm is nothing!

joe

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:04 am

joeidaho wrote:Sr. bacsidoan, no regrets allowed for acquiring this epic guitar. 5mm is nothing!

joe
I agree with you. 5 mm only makes a little difference at fret 1-4, not at all at the upper registers. It is more of a self-deprecating statement for letting the possible higher resale value of a standard 650 mm guitar to influence my decision making.

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Bacsidoan,

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Thank you for supporting the luthier industry throughout the world.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:55 pm

Thank you Cincy.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:20 pm

bacsidoan wrote:I had had every intention to keep the good news to myself, but eventually felt that it would be a disservice to Jason Wolverton not to put in a plug for this magnificent instrument. Yes, I am the guy who paid for the privilege of being the steward of the guitar, and here is my evaluation after playing and examining it for the last two days:

Aesthetics wise, the displayed pictures are adequate in showing off the beauty of the guitar, but do not do justice to the impeccable workmanship involved: the perfect execution of the Romanillos style V-joint; the sharp, even, well defined carving lines of the recessed headstock; the tasteful binding & purfling; the invisible seams of the resawn Madgascar rosewood back... The playabilty of the instrument is also excellent, thanks to the well crowned EVO gold frets and well-shaped neck. In fact, my only regret is that the scale is 650 mm instead of 645 mm (for my small hands). I opted for the "standard" scale for the purpose of retaining the "resale" value, shame on me for not having enough confidence in the Master.

As for the sound, the intonation is dead on for the strings that Jason installed. The bass notes are firm, resonant and powerful. However, we all know that most competent guitar builders are capable of producing good basses, it is the quality of the trebles that separates the masters from the pretenders. The guitar generates not just singing trebles but highly lyrical ones with a breathy, human like voice with plenty of formants. I particularly like the mid range notes from the G-string which are purely magical. I suspect that the slanted treble bar on the sound board has something to do with this magics. I wish I could provide a sound sample, but unfortunately I have neither the time, the skill nor the wherewithal to do the instrument justice.

In summary, I would recommend this builder to any one without any reservations.
Congratulations excellent choice.
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:17 am

Justfun wrote:
bacsidoan wrote: ...
In summary, I would recommend this builder to any one without any reservations.
Congratulations excellent choice.
Thank you Justfun.

Monteverde

Post by Monteverde » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:25 pm

A beautiful guitar with a lovely sound; what more could you ask for?

Best wishes.

Paul Micheletti
Amateur luthier

Post by Paul Micheletti » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:05 pm

That is a very beautiful guitar Jason. Excellent work as always.

Return to “Luthiers”