The most elegant plantilla?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
simonm

Re: The most elegant plantilla?

Post by simonm » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Put all the above luthier names in this song and you will have your answer. Easy-peasy.

MOD EDIT: Link removed - copyright!!!

Just search YouTuber for "Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:55 pm

I actually think that Trevor Gore has come up with an attractive body plan.

Obviously nothing like the traditional shapes but as he says it is also practical in providing a large lower bout to provide good volume, plus a high waist point that may be a little easier for the players right arm.

And yes those tops at right angles to the centre line really bug me in any type of guitar.
Dave

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:04 pm

I prefer the Hauser plantilla with its flatter top and bottom, compared to the very rounded shapes of other makers.

Clearly, we have found yet another aspect of the guitar that we can disagree on: curves or right angles!

Steve Toscano
Luthier

Post by Steve Toscano » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:05 am

Hauser for me..

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:48 am

I started out making Hauser copies, but always found the shoulders and base to bit a bit flat. I switched to the Santos Hernandez plantilla for a while, but in the end came up with my own shape which was somewhere between the two. For me, the important point is that the radius of the curves should change gradually around the outline, rather than be composed of a number of different radii joined together. To me these are less pleasing to the eye. I think you can also tell a good plantilla by how easy it is to bend the ribs accurately to it.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

cattanarts

Post by cattanarts » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Angel Benito has a beautiful one, also Ramírez and Paulino have nice plantillas.

Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Post by Alexandru Marian » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:49 am

I think my favorites are the 1860's Torres at about 350mm wide. This is one I made trying to emulate this style, not an actual replica but an interpretation "by eye" and slightly longer (480mm)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:49 pm

:bravo:
Very nice form!
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

jim watts

Post by jim watts » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Here an overlay of Romanillos, Frederich and Hauser. I put these together sometime ago when I wanted a new shape. These came from Roy Courtnalls, Making Master Guitars book.It's amazing how subtle some of the differences are yet we easily pick up on it. The inside most represents the lining for the Hauser outline, not the outline of any plantilla.
overlayed outlines.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carey

Post by Carey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Alexandru Marian wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:49 am
I think my favorites are the 1860's Torres at about 350mm wide. This is one I made trying to emulate this style, not an actual replica but an interpretation "by eye" and slightly longer (480mm)
Yes, *very* nice. Most modern guitars look pregnant to me.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:20 am

Alexandru Marian wrote:
Lovely. Good eye. Would you be so kind and tell me; is this a 5 brace fan style and did you use a bridge patch?

Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Post by Alexandru Marian » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks. It has 7 braces (plus 2), open harmonic bar, no patch and a bit of a tornavoz. It draws on guitars like FE09 (Llobet's) or FE19.

Here is a sample (pretty noisy as there was heavy construction across the street) https://youtu.be/kZHbdp9eJUc

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:04 am

Carey wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:06 pm
Alexandru Marian wrote:
Afraid they do although I call them bloated looking. Slim down the bouts, the waist whilst maintaining the body length and they will take on a much more tasteful form. The smaller Torres virtually always have a more graceful appearance, so too the early Pons/Lacote which seem to have a certain visual purity. Lovers of the large modern guitar can always point out the tonal attributes of such an instrument, which I guess is fair enough.
Historicalguitars.

Carey

Post by Carey » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:12 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:04 am
Carey wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:06 pm
Alexandru Marian wrote:
Afraid they do although I call them bloated looking. Slim down the bouts, the waist whilst maintaining the body length and they will take on a much more tasteful form. The smaller Torres virtually always have a more graceful appearance, so too the early Pons/Lacote which seem to have a certain visual purity. Lovers of the large modern guitar can always point out the tonal attributes of such an instrument, which I guess is fair enough.
Agree. Bloated is a better, more accurate description.

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:20 pm

Alexandru Marian wrote:
:bravo: Very nice plantilla which reminds very much of my von Gruner „Torres“ Interpretation. In addition I was really surprised to discover how comfortably this body shape plays in comparison to nowadays „full size“ guitars, why this little lady occupies almost all of my attention. :D

Cheers es335

Return to “Luthiers”