The most elegant plantilla?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
mqbernardo

Re: The most elegant plantilla?

Post by mqbernardo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:44 pm

going against the grain, here. to be honest, i find that a lot of torres guitars have a rather inflated (for lack of better words) upper bout (specifically the upper part of the upper bout, the way the slope from the shoulders gives way to the upper bout main curve in some guitars, like the FE13) which, to my eye, seems rather ungraceful. call it nitpicking, if you must. the worst culprits are usually the smaller plantilla ones. i also find they can have a too busy upper bout, with the often wide rosettes and big sound holes (compared to the overall size).
i do love the lower bouts, though, with elegantly shaped curves, and the overall proportion of length to width and waist design. Tarrega´s guitar is not that bad in that regard. The larger SE111 is just perfect in my book.

Bouchet and Fleta are just plain ugly.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:18 pm

Here is a comparison between Segovia's 1937 Hauser and the Yamaha GC82S and GC82C. The S model is closer to the Hauser with the slightly flatter upper and lower bouts, whereas the C model is closer to the early Ferrer/Hernandez y Aguado influenced plantilla shapes. These early shapes also appear to be used in the GC30 and GC70 series. The GC71 was closer to the Hauser and very close to the GC82S. The plantilla shape may also interact with the body depth. I think the Hauser shape has a more "masculine" or perhaps "muscular" feel to it, being ever so slightly more squared. Perhaps a Teutonic influence? The Santos Hernandez in Courtnall's book also has a flatter lower bout, although the upper bout is slightly less squared compared to the Hauser. Personally, I find both designs graceful and stylish...just different.
Segovia Hauser 1937 B.jpg
Segovia Hauser 1937.jpg
GC82S-C Plantilla Shape.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:32 pm

Alexandru Marian wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:25 am
Thanks. It has 7 braces (plus 2), open harmonic bar, no patch and a bit of a tornavoz. It draws on guitars like FE09 (Llobet's) or FE19.

Here is a sample (pretty noisy as there was heavy construction across the street) https://youtu.be/kZHbdp9eJUc
Thanks Alexandru. Nice playing also!

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:03 pm

To the OP; I think Vicente Arias' guitars most elegant.

Return to “Luthiers”