Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
bacsidoan

Re: Rosewood Identification

Postby bacsidoan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:43 am

Looks like straight-grained BRW to me.

attila57

Re: Rosewood Identification

Postby attila57 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:49 pm

JohnEdwin wrote:Thank you, Attila. Your description was very helpful. I have not been able to contact Earl Klugh, but I did contact an owner in the chain of custody who declares it to be BRW. It also fits your description of thin dark bands in light background. The sound is deep and resonant. It's a beautiful guitar. Now I need to learn more about the maker--have nothing other than one owner said Mercado was apprentice to Manuel Velazquez. I have not found anything on the luthier to confirm. Thank you for your help!

You are welcome! It's lucky that others confirm my opinion, too. Here is the textbook definition: Indian rosewood (EIR) has fairly regular, uniform, wide stripes, with an overall dark appearance. BRW has thin and thick stripes, rather irregularly distributed, with an overall lighter appearance. BRW often has wild grain formations, runouts, sudden curves, etc.

It is a really beautiful guitar! Congratulations!

Attila
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Return to “Luthiers”