Fix dents in guitar lacquer

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
amezcua

Re: Fix dents in guitar lacquer

Post by amezcua » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:18 pm

One good piece of advice by Michael Darnton was no cleats is preferable if possible. Maybe there should be a more definite separation between the different kinds of guitars. Stewmac repairs are fine for more robust steel strings but classical players should know more about ancient violin technology which is still the best way to preserve sound and prolong instrument life . Players don`t need to do it all themselves but there is no reason they should not be aware of the best ways to repair their boxes .

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:14 am

Most professional luthiers will tell you to do nothing. They are cosmetic and will not effect the sound. If you sand and refinish the surface, you will create the danger of altering the sound of the guitar. Consider them as character or milestones, if you will. All of my beautiful guitars are scarred in one way or another. They are like me . . . they possess character and experience. Playing again . . .Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:01 am

When I used the diluted Copal varnish with Sanodor it dried in a few days. Since the temperature has dropped it has slowed down dramatically. The last coat is still nowhere near dry and that`s more than a week ago .But it has no nasty spikes to rub down . So timewise it will not be a better solution compared to French Polish but you don`t need any special skill to leave it where it is a bit longer .

Return to “Luthiers”