Update - Anyone heard of José Giménez guitars?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Update - Anyone heard of José Giménez guitars?

Post by rinneby » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:03 am

Dear friends.

Today I got my hands on a guitar made by José Giménez in 1984 (No.204, Turis-Valencia). I found very little information about this very luthier, but the guitar looked like nice so I took a chance.

What I know so far: José Giménez is a Spanish builder from Valencia and he built around 600 guitars. He always worked alone, although he shared workshop with Joaquin Garcia for a period of time. He made everything from scratch except the tuners. His guitars rarely hits the market.

The guitar: The rosette is hand drawn before the top was (what looks to be) french polished, very nicely done. The craftsmanship is excellent and a lot of work has obviously been put into this guitar. It's all solid woods. The guitar is built to work with low action. Inside the bracing is floating on the bottom and 7-fan on the top. The tuners are most likely original Fustero.

Playability: This must be the most easy playing classical guitar I have ever tried, even easier than my Kohno 1965. The neck is fairly slim, something I usually don't like. But in combination with the low action it actually works. The sound is smooth and cosy without being dull. This will be my first choice for gentle and beautiful pieces from now on. It will work very well as a practice or late night playing guitar as well. Or... just as it is.

It looks like this:

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 18 times in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1980 - Hirade Master Arte 8
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

rinneby

Re: Anyone heard of José Giménez?

Post by rinneby » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:41 pm

1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Keith

Re: Anyone heard of José Giménez guitars?

Post by Keith » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 pm

interesting photos and "modifications" (plastic and rubber on the saddle and whatever in the nut).

to my peepers it appears jose g. has skills beyond mortal man using spruce in his rosette that matches the grain pattern of the top..... or the rosette is a decal. if the latter, well...hopefully the money saved went into good wood. I am intrigued with photos in the first link. it appears the nut has an extension on the head side. not sure about that. his backs appear to be interesting braced--so much so that his label looks to be inside a "picture frame"
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Keith wrote:interesting photos and "modifications" (plastic and rubber on the saddle and whatever in the nut).

to my peepers it appears jose g. has skills beyond mortal man using spruce in his rosette that matches the grain pattern of the top..... or the rosette is a decal. if the latter, well...hopefully the money saved went into good wood. I am intrigued with photos in the first link. it appears the nut has an extension on the head side. not sure about that. his backs appear to be interesting braced--so much so that his label looks to be inside a "picture frame"
Indeed, the rosette looks interesting to say the least. Maybe he painted right on the top? I find it hard to believe he matched the pattern of the top :)
It was unorthodox inside with the label that first caught my eye. I will have the guitar early next week.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:17 pm

yeah, it could be a painted rosette which had to take some doing. it does look nice though. did the seller mention the "add-ons" on the saddle and nut and why he did it?
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Keith wrote:yeah, it could be a painted rosette which had to take some doing. it does look nice though. did the seller mention the "add-ons" on the saddle and nut and why he did it?
He just wanted higher action i suppose. At least that's what he wrote.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Brian McCombs

Post by Brian McCombs » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:51 pm

I only looked for a moment and could be wrong but, there are no perceivable identical repeats in the pattern of the rosette. I think it is likely drawn on.....or stenciled as they may say?
.....the fretboard is very thick.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:27 pm

The guitar has now arrived! The rosette is indeed hand drawn before the top was (what looks to be) french polished, very nicely done. The build quality is excellent and a lot of work has obviously been put into this guitar. It's all solid woods.

This must be the most easy playing classical guitar I have ever tried. Believe me, I've tried many. The neck is fairly slim, something I usually don't like. But in combination with the very low action it actually works.

The sound is smooth and cosy without being dull. This will be my first choice for gentle and beautiful pieces from now on.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Return to “Luthiers”