Luthier around Firenze Italy

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
André Blanc

Luthier around Firenze Italy

Post by André Blanc » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:40 pm

Hello everybody,

I will spend a week vacation early April in Firenze in Italy and would like to visit some luthiers.. Any recommandation.

Thanks in advance

André
lots of lattice & double top, 6 course Lute Paul Tompson, , acoustic guitar , H&D OOSP, Blue Fower fender telecaster and some more . www.concert-classical-guitar.com

Paul Micheletti
Amateur luthier

Re: Luthier around Firenze Italy

Post by Paul Micheletti » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Andrea Tacchi should be high on that list. I wish I could have met him when I was in Firenze a couple of years ago.

My recommendation... stay far away from the tourist restaurants in the center of town, and dine in the tiny family owned places on the fringes of town. The food gets much better as you leave city center. If it's within 0.5k of the Duomo, the food is likely crap.

Also don't miss out on the Mercado which is the ultimate farmers market on earth.

Also take day trips to some of the smaller Tuscan towns. Luca, San Gimignano, Sienna are all lovely places, each with their own personality.

Enjoy!

bear

Post by bear » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Michele Della Guistina, if you can go a little further north to Venice.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:47 pm

André Blanc wrote:Hello everybody,

I will spend a week vacation early April in Firenze in Italy and would like to visit some luthiers.. Any recommandation.

Thanks in advance

André
Of course visit Andrea Tacchi and his son Giovanni right in Florence!! A must visit!

Rent a car and go meet Gabriele Lodi in Carpi; very nice person and if you like Torres guitars you'll be in heaven.

A friend and colleague of Andrea Tacchi is Enrico Bottelli in Voghera.

If you visit Andrea Tacchi, please tell him Jack Douglas said hello and for that matter the same to Gabriele and Enrico.

Please allow time for a proper visit when you see these luthiers. They're very gracious and want you to see, play and hear the beautiful instruments they make.

When in Florence you must eat a proper bistecca fiorentina!! Andrea will know where you should go.

Have a great visit!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:01 am

John Weissenrieder is in Florence, not sure if he is still active. He is a "disciple" of Tacchi and builds nice guitars. Not far from the Ponte Vecchio.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:03 am

Tacchi! Maybe Tacchi? Definitely Tacchi.

Take him someplace nice for dinner to chat. Maybe Obica. Not too expensive, good food, nice wine cellar.
A tree falls the way it leans. - The Lorax

David Conti

Post by David Conti » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:22 am

Man I am getting homesick, although I am born and raised here in the USA my family is from Montecatini. I have visited and can smell the food now.
Tacchi is one of my favorite luthiers.

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:37 am

I would second the sentiments of Paul... I grew up in Italy and I would stay away from eating in the centre of Florence. Sorry for the digression, you asked about luthiers.
CE Sobel Guitars

André Blanc

Post by André Blanc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks you all of you.. The advice on the restaurants are highly valuable. I will definitly visit Tacchi workshop.

rgds

André
lots of lattice & double top, 6 course Lute Paul Tompson, , acoustic guitar , H&D OOSP, Blue Fower fender telecaster and some more . www.concert-classical-guitar.com

Echi

Post by Echi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:19 am

John Weissenrider is still actively working in Firenze and makes great instruments.
In Arezzo (quite close to Florence by train) there is Gioachino Giussani.
In Modena (one hour an a half by train ) you can find Paolo Coriani, Lorenzo Frignani and Gabriele Lodi ( the latter is in Carpi is 30 minutes by train from Modena).
In Milano (2 hours by train) there are many luthiers (Lucio Carbone, Dario Pontiggia, Michele Marrabello and many others).
There are a lot of top rate luthiers in a relatively small distance.
My suggestion is to identify first the kind of luthier/guitar suits you better and then to plan a visit.
If you like Hauser probably Pontiggia, Bottelli and Marrabello are the best visits, if you like Torres, Luca Waldner, Marco Bortolozzo and Francesco are Gregorio are for you.

Return to “Luthiers”