Ribs to heel block.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Victor Seal

Ribs to heel block.

Post by Victor Seal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Is is proper to glue the sides into the heelblock? I have read that some do and some do not.

Michael.N.

Re: Ribs to heel block.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:42 pm

It's not necessary. You can glue them if you want though. Either way it doesn't really matter unless you have gaps to fill.
Historicalguitars.

Douglass Scott
Luthier

Post by Douglass Scott » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:31 pm

If you have cut a slot in the heel that the sides fit snugly into, careful gluing them in. The glue can grab before the sides are properly in position and then you're toast. Don't even think of using hide glue!

Some luthiers use a wedge to secure the sides into the heel slots. This can be glued more safely and also makes sure you don't have any gaps.

Brian McCombs

Post by Brian McCombs » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:19 pm

If one feels the need, I'd wick thin CA into the join after assembled, not that I've ever done that. ( on the inside and only sparingly) Not saying its a great idea but I have done so for various reasons.

Glue (non hide) is such a heartburn maker sometimes....sure it feels like grease when your trying to get something to grab and it just slides all over, but when you have a tight join.....and you need to wiggle it around to get it to seat fully....Nooooooo suddenly it has the ability to grab and cure instantly somehow. :roll:

Are you concerned about the robustness of the join or are you having issues with gaps where the heel interfaces with the rib line?

John higgon
Amateur luthier

Post by John higgon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:18 am

Once the sides are in the heel slots, they're not going anywhere, with or without glue.

Victor Seal

Post by Victor Seal » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have built steel string guitars and this is my first classical with Spanish heel.

Jon Gillard
Amateur luthier

Post by Jon Gillard » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:35 pm

i've used wedges with spanish heel and use titebond 3 which has a longer open time so allows some repositioning before grabs
Facebook Gillard Guitars
Instagram gillard_guitars

Return to “Luthiers”