End Pins Glued?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Dave M

End Pins Glued?

Postby Dave M » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:43 pm

I have tried a couple of steel string builds and the second has come out very well. I'm thinking that the person I will pass it on to (perhaps even sell to) will likely want to use a strap. So I've acquired a couple of end pins (and why on earth don't they all use the same taper for these pins, the reamers are really expensive) but was wondering if they are normally glued in or just a good push fit?
Dave

Euan Hannah
Amateur luthier

Re: End Pins Glued?

Postby Euan Hannah » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 pm

I have seen quite a few instruments that have been seriously damaged by the end pin coming loose. A very small spot of glue acts as a bit of a safeguard against this. The trick is to use just enough to hold it in place but still allow it to be removed when necessary. I use the smallest of spots of super glue if I'm securing an end pin and I can easily get the pin back out when required. End pins and straps are not so popular in the classical world but there is still a place for them.
Most high end steel string guitars are shipped with the end pin removed to reduce chances of impact damage to the tail block area.

Dave M

Re: End Pins Glued?

Postby Dave M » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Euan thanks I suspected that that would be the case - that one would want to fairly easily remove them.

I follow Trevor Gore's idea of using plywood for the end block, partly for this reason, but also to avoid the whole thing of grain being at cross purposes.
Dave

Return to “Luthiers”