José Mercado, luthier, any information on him?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
JohnEdwin

José Mercado, luthier, any information on him?

Postby JohnEdwin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:10 pm

I acquired a 1966 José Mercado classical guitar, ex. Earl Klugh. Solid provenance and I am the fourth owner. The only information I have on José Mercado is from the third owner to me. He said that Mercado was apprenticed to Manuel Velazquez. There are many of the same design features and it is a beautiful SP/BRW guitar with a very deep resonating bases and bright trebles. (My seller's photos attached.) I have no reason to doubt the story of the seller, but I would like to find out more information on this luthier for myself--but I have come up empty handed so far. Does anyone have information on this José Mercado? Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Edwin Snyder, Denton, TX USA (Student)

1966 José Mercado ex. Earl Klugh
1970 Marcelino Barbero (Sherry-Brenner)
1971 Josê Ramirez !a (#4567 JG)
2012 WoodRing
2016 Alejandro Cervantes (Hauser Style)

rinneby

Re: José Mercado, luthier, any information on him?

Postby rinneby » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Looks nice. But more importantly, how does it sound and play? :)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Aria AG-50
1984 - José Giménez No.204

You are the instrument, not the guitar

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:53 pm

I have no information but I do note the label is very much Valezquez inspired and Mercado has signed over the writing in the label just like Velazquez did. Both suggest an element of 'copying' Velazquez.

Guther

Postby Guther » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:40 am

Looks great. As Peter mentioned it looks like a copy of a Velazquez down to the label. I've seen the rosette on a Velazquez currently listed at Chris Kamen's shop in Santa Barbara. I'm sure the sound is fantastic. Nice find!
Guther

Return to “Luthiers”