Oh NO! Now my '68 Nogami...Help!

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
KenO
Amateur luthier

Oh NO! Now my '68 Nogami...Help!

Post by KenO » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:01 am

Following my '67 Hashimoto No. 232 bridge and back brace failure (brace repaired and currently waiting for a completely new table), my '68 Saburo Nogami Concert Tenor has developed a small fracture in the ebony fret board! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr8! Sharing some pics in hopes of getting some advice...
The red arrows indicate the hair-line fracture.
Unfortunately, the fracture seems to have penetrated the beautiful solid spruce table (blue arrow below)...
My guitars are kept in a relatively stable humid controlled environment between 40% to 60%. This is the first time, I've experienced this kind of structural compromise (in a row!). Fortunately, the sound of the guitar has not been affected.

While I'm a luthier "wanna be", I'm a hack in reality; and this is nothing like working on a "Hashimoto No. 232"! She is a rare beauty with a magnificent voice and a family heirloom. Should I just leave it the way it is for now? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
'06 Asturias Prelude S; '02 Yamaha CG101; '68 S. Nogami Concert Tenor; '67 Hashimoto No. 232

Laudiesdad69

Re: Oh NO! Now my '68 Nogami...Help!

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:29 am

As far as the crack in the fingerboard, I have a nasty one on my C1 Córdoba. If it were me, on a nice guitar such as yours, I would have a luthier repair it. What I plan to do with the Córdoba is grind up some rosewood dust, mix it with epoxy, and fill the crack. Then I will just sand everything flush and gorgamyte the frets and board after the repair is done. I don't know what to tell you about the top of the sound board, other than luthier.

James Tranlong

Post by James Tranlong » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:37 am

The crack in the spruce sound board, could that be simply the separation of the 2 halves? As for the cracks in the ebony fret board, my 1989 guitar also developed cracks in its ebony fret board. The shop assured me that this is not a problem, and that ebony will do this, so I leave it be.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 am

Easy enough to fill the cracks in the ebony. When ebony cracks like that it's not that unusual for it to take that section of soundboard with it. You can glue in some spruce reinforcement, if only for peace of mind. Frets look like they might need some work, are the tops a little flat?
Historicalguitars.

KenO
Amateur luthier

Post by KenO » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks for the advice Laudiesdad69, James Tranlong & Machael.N.
Unfortunately, the crack in the spruce table is not a separation of the two halves, and some spruce reinforcement sounds like a good idea. I think I'll wait a bit to see if the crack begins to worsen; if so, to the Luthier she shall go...sigh. I just finished re-fretting a steel string acoustics (my 3rd re-fret job!). Really satisfied with the results, but I would hesitate to try anything like that on this Nogami. I can just see myself pulling the frets and taking large chunks of ebony with each fret removal; and then just splintering the ebony all the way down the length of the fingerboard! Yikes! Thanks again for the help CGF!
'06 Asturias Prelude S; '02 Yamaha CG101; '68 S. Nogami Concert Tenor; '67 Hashimoto No. 232

Return to “Luthiers”