flamed maple guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Jose Marques
Luthier

flamed maple guitar

Postby Jose Marques » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:38 pm

well i just finished my first guitar totally without rosewood

i must say that i'm very pleased with the final result, i thought that the sound will be very bright maybe to mush but... NO :bravo:
I have done the same kind of work that i use to do in my rosewood guitars, only the back and sides 0,4mm thicker but here some time i do roswood a bit thicker as well, it depend of the piece that i'm working with.
The sound board is a italian bear claw spruce and i use to do a Romanillos influenced fan brace in my "normal" guitars and i decided to do it as well in this one.

well not disappointed at all, yesterday a guitar player tested that guitar and he at first as the same thought that i have as well but, after play for a bit he told me ...I JUST LOVE THIS GUITAR...

My answer for non rosewood guitars is... LOVE IT

I'm a Luthier living in Bury st Edmunds UK

lagartija

Re: flamed maple guitar

Postby lagartija » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:18 pm

:bravo:
Congratulations! I wish you had included close up pictures of the rosette and headstock...they look interesting from a distance...
Will you post a sound file?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Jose Marques
Luthier

Postby Jose Marques » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Thank you lagartija

Yes I have more photos in my site
about sound i will try it depend of if i will have the time and "material" to do that
otherwise this guitar will be in Guitarren Festival Nordhorn Germany last weekend of April and Greenwich Guitar Festival London 25,26 and 27

edcat7

Postby edcat7 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Beautiful, but what wood is used for the bridge?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Jose Marques
Luthier

Postby Jose Marques » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:55 pm

Hello edcast7

this one as Paduk

well at first i no had no idea what wood i must use, i though in some but then i remember that Smallman uses paduk well that is a choise that I have made as well and it works great

:)

JohannesO

Postby JohannesO » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Wonderful!

I believe that the sides and back do have an effect on the sound. I have a maple guitar made by A. Picado and one made by E. von Gruner, both have a very warm sound.

Cannot come to Nordhorn - well, maybe. Anyway, this is a beauty. Congrats!
Manuel Contreras I, Vicente Camacho, Antonio Marin Montero, Ana Espinosa, Masaru Kohno, Antonio Picado

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Postby Doug Ingram » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm not surprised! I love Maple. Maple is awesome.

Dave M

Postby Dave M » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:29 pm

I am an amateur builder and I decided from the off that I would not use Rosewood more than I have to - I am still using it for fretboard and bridge but am working on alternatives. And now of course Rosewood is going to be harder to come by.

I am pretty sure that any effects on the sound of the guitar are of second order and would be indistinguishable in a blind testing.

The ripple maple on my recently finished steel string is very similar to Jose's. (I wonder if a certain Mr Dyke might have been the timber supplier?)

Anyway I think the appearance can be quite stunning. I include a few pics to show the effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Jose Marques
Luthier

Postby Jose Marques » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:49 am

JohannesO wrote:Wonderful!

I believe that the sides and back do have an effect on the sound. I have a maple guitar made by A. Picado and one made by E. von Gruner, both have a very warm sound.

Cannot come to Nordhorn - well, maybe. Anyway, this is a beauty. Congrats!

Hello Mr Johannes0

well every piece of material, inclusive glues, are part of the sound of acoustic instruments. I believe that 90% to 95% is top and the rest is everything else .

I have here rosewood guitars and i have been one day with a guitarist my friend testing and comparing with my and him guitars ...

I must say that i will do more maple guitars ;)

Doug Ingram wrote:I'm not surprised! I love Maple. Maple is awesome.

Yes it is :D

Dave M wrote:I am an amateur builder and I decided from the off that I would not use Rosewood more than I have to - I am still using it for fretboard and bridge but am working on alternatives. And now of course Rosewood is going to be harder to come by.

I am pretty sure that any effects on the sound of the guitar are of second order and would be indistinguishable in a blind testing.

The ripple maple on my recently finished steel string is very similar to Jose's. (I wonder if a certain Mr Dyke might have been the timber supplier?)

Anyway I think the appearance can be quite stunning. I include a few pics to show the effect.

DaveM well i'm looking for alternatives as well for other parts, at this time paduk was a great choice but i wish to try others, for fingerboars you have my favorite , ebony, but now you have 2 diferent materials , blackwood tek and rocklite, this ones are made of other woods but precessed to feel and work like ebony. but you have for example Bog Oak as well.

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Jose that's a beautiful instrument congrats!

I love maple guitars and I always get a kick out of the player responses when an instrument blows their "preconceptions" out of the water. People forget that Torres built nearly as many maple guitars as he did rosewood...

Jose Marques wrote:I must say that i will do more maple guitars

I completely agree!

Beautiful work sir...
52instruments.com
facebook.com/52instruments
instagram.com/52_instrument_co

Jose Marques
Luthier

Postby Jose Marques » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Jeremy Clark wrote:Jose that's a beautiful instrument congrats!

I love maple guitars and I always get a kick out of the player responses when an instrument blows their "preconceptions" out of the water. People forget that Torres built nearly as many maple guitars as he did rosewood...

Jose Marques wrote:I must say that i will do more maple guitars

I completely agree!

Beautiful work sir...

Thank you mate... i will for shure

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:06 pm

would anyone able to describe a bit how a maple guitar sounds? I wish I could try one in the future.

Jose Marques
Luthier

Postby Jose Marques » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:16 am

hello Carlos
i can use many words but the best will be you try to test, i will be in Germany , nordhornguitar festival, next moth with this guitar...just pop there

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:51 am

Very beautiful guitar and I so love the flamed maple on the guitar! It's different, but it looks great! Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Jose Marques
Luthier

Postby Jose Marques » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:17 pm

;)

Return to “Luthiers”