6 to 12 hole tie block conversion

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
SteveL123

6 to 12 hole tie block conversion

Postby SteveL123 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:38 pm

My Kris Barnett guitar support arrived yesterday. To kill 2 birds with one stone, I converted my tie block from 6 hole to 12 yesterday before installing the guitar support. Here are before and after pics. It's holding up so far. How's it look? I took lot's of pics on how I did it if anyone's interested...... they have to be re-sized.

Edit: The main reason for 6 to 12 was to get a steeper string break angle, which was pretty flat after I filed the saddle down to lower the action.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amezcua

Re: 6 to 12 hole tie block conversion

Postby amezcua » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Have you seen the Rosette Diamond Secure Tieblock System ? They make all that looping and tying unnecessary .The tiny units are hard and grippy with holes that form the securing knot . The break angle is like your new setup . How on earth did you make new holes in the bridge ?

SteveL123

Postby SteveL123 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:32 am

amezcua wrote:Have you seen the Rosette Diamond Secure Tieblock System ? They make all that looping and tying unnecessary .The tiny units are hard and grippy with holes that form the securing knot . The break angle is like your new setup . How on earth did you make new holes in the bridge ?

I have seen those but don't care for them because of more parts and also don't like the looks. The trick to making the new holes was making a dowel extension (brass rod) for the drill bit and a jig/guide. Making the jig guide took the longest... about 2 hours trying different materials and design. Drilling 2 parallel holes freehand in a block of acrylic or wood (for the jig) is very difficult. I finally gave up and did it another way using aluminum channel. Once the tools were made and I felt confident that it'll work, drilling the holes took about 5 minutes. There was some good advice I've gotten from here. One was to back the bridge with a piece of wood to prevent splinters when the drill bit punches through. I was not able to clamp a piece of wood there and instead put a piece of duct tape as a backing and that worked, no splinters.

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:35 am

Very impressive!

And you had to make your own tools as well :)
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

SteveL123

Postby SteveL123 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:43 am

SteveL123 wrote:
amezcua wrote:Have you seen the Rosette Diamond Secure Tieblock System ? They make all that looping and tying unnecessary .The tiny units are hard and grippy with holes that form the securing knot . The break angle is like your new setup . How on earth did you make new holes in the bridge ?

I have seen those but don't care for them because of more parts and also don't like the looks. The trick to making the new holes was making a dowel extension (brass rod) for the drill bit and a jig/guide. Making the jig guide took the longest... about 2 hours trying different materials and design. Drilling 2 parallel holes freehand in a block of acrylic or wood (for the jig) is very difficult. I finally gave up and did it another way using aluminum channel. Once the tools were made and I felt confident that it'll work, drilling the holes took about 5 minutes. There was some good advice I've gotten from here. One was to back the bridge with a piece of wood to prevent splinters when the drill bit punches through. I was not able to clamp a piece of wood there and instead put a piece of duct tape as a backing and that worked, no splinters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amezcua

Postby amezcua » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:28 pm

You have strong nerves. And there are no scratches . Did you notice in the photo the inverted reflection of items in the room make it look as though the guitar has a big split ? Optical illusion .
Now you need some more magnets in your pants to keep it on your knee. Only joking .I`ll tell you what won`t work --Castinets with magnets . We don`t hear much about castinets do we ?

SteveL123

Postby SteveL123 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:53 am

guitarseller345645 wrote:Very impressive!

And you had to make your own tools as well :)

Thanks! :)

SteveL123

Postby SteveL123 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:06 am

amezcua wrote:You have strong nerves. And there are no scratches . Did you notice in the photo the inverted reflection of items in the room make it look as though the guitar has a big split ? Optical illusion .
Now you need some more magnets in your pants to keep it on your knee. Only joking .I`ll tell you what won`t work --Castinets with magnets . We don`t hear much about castinets do we ?

There are lot's of scratches that were there already but no new scratches from me drilling the 6 holes. Not an optical illusion, there was an ugly crack inline with the B string that I found after not touching the guitar for about 12 to 14 years. I glued it back together with hide glue and cleats about 2 months ago. Maybe I'll redo it and try to make it look better after I buy another guitar.

Return to “Luthiers”