Meet 'Ruby-Dee'...

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
130161martin

Meet 'Ruby-Dee'...

Postby 130161martin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 am

Hi All...

A few weeks back, I posted a couple of pictures of my new Kevin Aram guitar - and thank you for all the positive comments!

I've now received several more detailed photographs from Kevin, which I hope you don't mind me sharing with you...

Frustratingly, I still haven't yet managed to carve out the time to travel down to North Devon to collect her, due to work pressures etc - so, for the time being, and until I can write a proper review of her...meet 'Ruby-Dee'. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Re: Meet 'Ruby-Dee'...

Postby tom0311 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 am

Oh how I love that finish. Congratulations.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

Jose Marques
Luthier

Postby Jose Marques » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:06 pm

is that oil finish ?
I'm a Luthier living in Bury st Edmunds UK

130161martin

Postby 130161martin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Jose Marques wrote:is that oil finish ?

Hi Jose...

Yes, it is. It's achieved with Liberon Finishing Oil and is Kevin's preferred finish of choice, but I do know that opinion on the merits of oil finishes is fairly well divided, if you look for previous posts/discussions on this forum.

I recently read a lengthy interview with Kevin in 'American Luthierie' - the quarterly journal of the Guild of American Luthiers - in which he discussed the technique of applying it and the virtues of that type of finish in some detail, and actually states at one point: ~"If I were still having to French polish my guitars, I wouldn't be making guitars anymore. I hate French polish; it's as simple as that..."

That quote is something of an over-simplification of Kevin's views on, preference for and rationale behind using oil finishes; to read about all that in more detail, I know that in another issue of the magazine, there is a transcript of a lecture he gave to the Guild a couple of years back on his oil finishes and how to execute them...

Cheers,

Martin

Jose Marques
Luthier

Postby Jose Marques » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:23 pm

nice
i like oil finishes as well, in my classical i use shellack, just one with oil but in my acoustic i use tuff oil and sometimes tuff wax
I'm a Luthier living in Bury st Edmunds UK

CathyCate

Postby CathyCate » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Ain't she sweet! How can you stand the wait? Congratulations and well past time for that road trip!

130161martin

Postby 130161martin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:28 pm

CathyCate wrote:Ain't she sweet! How can you stand the wait? Congratulations and well past time for that road trip!

:lol: Thanks Cathy. Well, it's already been three years (since I first joined Kevin's waiting list), so another few short weeks aren't too much of a problem...and good motivation for getting through my current workload!

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Postby MessyTendon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:49 am

I went from lacquer to oil, no regrets.

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:21 am

Very nice! Thanks for posting the pictures!
Hauser III 2014!

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 am

I really like the headstock. It's so neat and clean looking. Love the look of the finish, and the rosette. Congrats!

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:44 pm

I really love Mr. Aram's guitars! They are just so classy and that rosette is quite striking...

I sort of wish I had the "confidence" to do an oil finish like that...it's just so organic looking and beautiful.
I'd love to hear it...
52instruments.com
facebook.com/52instruments
instagram.com/52_instrument_co

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:15 am

Wow, what a beautiful guitar! Thank you for the pictures! :)

130161martin

Postby 130161martin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Jeremy Clark wrote:I really love Mr. Aram's guitars! They are just so classy and that rosette is quite striking...

I sort of wish I had the "confidence" to do an oil finish like that...it's just so organic looking and beautiful.
I'd love to hear it...

Thank you for your kind words, Jeremy.

I'd love to hear it myself, but unfortunately, I've got to wait several more weeks before I can make the time to go down to Kevin's and collect her.

He mentioned to me the other day that because my guitar is still at his workshop, he's been in the fairly rare position of being able to do an 'A/B' comparison with another guitar he's just completed.

His wife (who's his trusted 'pair of ears') thought that my guitar sounded distinct from a 'regular classical', and more suited to the sort of music I want to play on it (a mixture of contemporary/Ralph Towner etc).

I'm intrigued, to say the least... :)

Grooveman JS

Postby Grooveman JS » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:35 am

Really Nice......if i were you; I'd be wanting to get my hands on this good looking instrument; it inspires you to want to pick it up & play
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Manuel Najera
Amateur luthier

Postby Manuel Najera » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 pm

130161martin wrote:
Jose Marques wrote:is that oil finish ?

Hi Jose...

Yes, it is. Martin

By oil finish do you mean those finishes were you just soak the wood with special oil and let it absorb as much as possible, wipe the excess, do it again, and again, until you reach the desired polish/look?
Or those oil-based laquer finishes like varnish?

What ever the answer is, I do love the look of that finish, it looks very natural.

Return to “Luthiers”