Is the Tatay bracing pattern the most unusual one ?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
amezcua

Re: Is the Tatay bracing pattern the most unusual one ?

Post by amezcua » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:03 pm

The 40,000 figure is on this forum and also on the Spanish version . That seems like an incredible number . The Spanish version had a question about how to get in touch with the company and an answer was " I meet the owner when he comes in. I will ask him about it ". It sounded quite recent . There was a map indicating the street adress but the gingerbread man was placed on the spot and it all went black .
To pin down what I had read yesterday I started another search on this forum branch and there is a lot on Guitarsite. (Tatay Guitars ). Some direct relatives writing and the shop /workshop was in Farmingville Long Island New York . I don`t think there will be any connection in Valencia now. It mentioned a split between the sons and some went off to South America .The New York shop was due to close as the owner was retiring . Plenty to read about there . Best is to hear about very old guitars in very good condition . So if you have some money there is one out there for you .

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:50 pm

There is a pdf of the Tree Tatay. It`s the family tree showing names and dates and also shows what labels they put in the guitars . Some well known modern name are shown at the end . Prudencio Saez I think is one of them . In the tree there are 18 names .Any videos with Tatay guitars seem to have a similar sound . Words like raw and earthy come to mind. Good words for guitars . I like the low notes .

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Everything seems to work for somebody.

As Michael says, it takes a lot of work to 'perfect' a bracing system. Once you've done that you might just find that it's not as good as the 'traditional' ones, so it's hard to say at the beginning whether the effort would be worth it.

This all gets very complicated. Keep in mind that the 'standard repertoire' was written on 'traditional' instruments, and tends to work well with all of their foibles, both good and bad. A new bracing design is likely to sound different. It's likely to be 'better' in some ways and 'worse' in others, but may not serve existing music as well as the traditional system. Unless the advantages far outweigh the drawbacks in may not catch on, and even if it does it' likely to be controversial.

Much recent innovation, such as 'lattice' bracing and 'sandwich' tops, has been directed toward increasing the acoustic power of the guitar. By reducing the mass of the top that the strings have to move they can move more air, and produce more sound. Although many players have embraced these innovations, they have by no means replaced the traditional systems. There are various reasons for this, some having to do with the difference in sound, and some relating to the fundamental limits of the case. Even traditional guitars are relatively efficient, as musical instruments go, and it's hard to make substantial improvements while skirting things like 'wolf' note issues.

So, on the one hand, it's easy to see why many makers will follow the path of least resistance, and go with tradition. OTOH, any maker is also looking for some way to set themselves apart from all the others, and it's difficult to support the claim that you're 'the best' builder of the traditional pattern , particularly if you don't have a Spanish (or German) pedigree. Thus there are good reasons why a maker might want to try something different, and put in the effort to make it work at least reasonably well. Anybody can claim to be the best, but only one can be the first, and if the guitars sound good enough you might well sell enough to keep busy.

mordent

Post by mordent » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:19 am

I have owned 3. Vintage Tatay guitars over the years and all had traditional fan bracing. The last one I had was a 660 scale and only 3. fan braces. It had a particularly fine treble response. .Labelled "Vitato. Vincente Tatay Tomas . Valencia." It was too big for my hands and someone got a really good buy.!
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

Return to “Luthiers”