Hide Glue

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Dolds

Hide Glue

Post by Dolds » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 am

Hi All-I am using hide glue for guitar # 7 for the first time, and have 315 gram hide glue. Can I glue the bridge with this strength glue? I previously used Titebond and I am unsure whether hide glue at 315 gram strength is sufficient.cheers Paul

Michael.N.

Re: Hide Glue

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:50 am

That's more than strong enough. I use a mixture of 315 and 150, which roughly comes out at 250 gram. You'll have slightly less open time with your 315, so keep a rather warm workshop and make sure your clamping set up is thoroughly worked out.
Historicalguitars.

Dolds

Post by Dolds » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:21 am

Great thanks Michael

Steve Toscano
Luthier

Post by Steve Toscano » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:59 am

What michael said. That is strong, and you may struggle with the open time of it.

printer2

Post by printer2 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:39 pm

OK, don't shoot the messenger on this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWylKk0Y6PU
Fred

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:32 pm

The commonest advice is to warm the wood before you glue it . Especially ebony .One useful lamp for this would be a small halogen table lamp . Test the heat and area on a scrap of wood first to see what is possible. Even a hot water bottle will make the job easy . Basic things like keeping the guitar still and managing the clamps can add to the streamlining process .Make sure the room is warm and avoid any drafts (draughts)(?)

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 am

Yes, try and avoid all types of draughts/drafts - getting drunk while glueing is never good, but being hauled off to join the army is far worse in my opinion.

Les

Seriously though, a hairdryer works well.
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 am

Michael.N. wrote:That's more than strong enough. I use a mixture of 315 and 150, which roughly comes out at 250 gram. You'll have slightly less open time with your 315, so keep a rather warm workshop and make sure your clamping set up is thoroughly worked out.

hello Michael N

i have looking for the hide glue and most i found doesn't came with strength info.
I have looking to the axminster seller and they have pearl and liquid, the pearl i dont know what is and liquid i dont with that.

i need it not to all guitar, at least for now, i wist just for the top glue, like bracing for example.

where you advise me to buy?

i saw in Dictum (germany) but they don't say what strength is ... maybe is a for all kind of work.

other question, to maintain the glut it the hot pot i thinking in buy this http://www.wilko.com/slow-cookers/wilko ... vt/0316165

with water and the glue inside a glass jar .. is a good idea?
I'm a Luthier living in Bury st Edmunds UK

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:22 am

Buy a Lindam bottle warmer on e - b a y. Every so often they come up used for a few £££. Use a baby food jar.
The Axminster glue will probably be bone glue, which is usually around 150g strength. Madinter sell a very high clarity hide glue at 280g. You can mix the two glue types (it's all collagen) and the strength will be somewhere between the two. Alternately just use the Madinter glue.
Touchstone tonewoods sold a mix of bone and hide glue. It worked perfectly well but I haven't used it for some 10 years. Of course there is no guarantee that what they are selling now is exactly the same. It may be the same, it may not.
I have used the Liberon bone glue and although it has a relatively low gram strength it will work. I've built whole guitars with it.
Historicalguitars.

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:33 am

thank you
i didn't find the Lindam but i found other brand ,Tommee i believe it works as the same

about the glues i will try the liberon bone and maybe the one that dictum sells and do tests, maybe is the best solution

thank you

JM

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:55 am

They aren't all the same. I don't know about the Tommee. It's a question of whether it gets hot enough. The Lindam certainly does. One will turn up on e - b a y, just give it time.
Historicalguitars.

mqbernardo

Post by mqbernardo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:04 am

Dictum´s hide glue granulate is 280 gram strength and high clarity. I use a 2nd hand baby warmer, Avent brand - gets more than hot enough.

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:21 am

Michael.N. wrote:They aren't all the same. I don't know about the Tommee. It's a question of whether it gets hot enough. The Lindam certainly does. One will turn up on e - b a y, just give it time.

eheh my glue and my Lindam as arrived yesterday i brought in e - b a y like you suggested, just 2£ + postage thank you for the help.

now i need to test and see the power i must use to to have the glue hot enough to work :merci:

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:22 am

mqbernardo wrote:Dictum´s hide glue granulate is 280 gram strength and high clarity. I use a 2nd hand baby warmer, Avent brand - gets more than hot enough.

yes I brought from dictum :merci:

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Generally - gram strengths aside

( I have never seen european supplliers quoting gram strength ? How does 'gram strength' tie in to varying
amounts of water dilution ? )

Scotch - or bone - is the old glue of woodworking joints, pre pva days - its usually large round pellets. It has good open time but is a bit brittle.
Hide glue - less brittle. Varies a lot in quality from suppliers and their current stock suppliers. Good stuff looks like demerara sugar.
Dick used to sell nice hide glue ( 12 years back ) - then it went all smelly and cloudy, so I switched to Kremer. Their hide is in 'small cube' form - and is very clear and nice
Maybe 'Dictum' has better stock now - or I caught the tail end of the bin or something. I do still use it - and it sticks well - but it stinks !

Rabbit skin - nice, from good sources. Its the most flexible - but is a short open time.

Avoid at all costs the 'rabbit skin' as sold for gesso making - its ground up smelly rubbish ( Liberon etc )

I used to use rabbit skin all the time - and it was sourced from Sydney Evans in Birmingham - so my remaining stock of that is quite old - to say the least ! The rest I have was sourced from Dick ( Dictum ) - and its top quality. Don't use it much now.

Return to “Luthiers”