We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Re: We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Post by rinneby » Fri May 19, 2017 6:41 pm

eno wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 9:56 pm
My new beautiful Brazilian RW Takamine C136S, 1976
The sound is gorgeous, full, rich, deep and nobel. A little dark, not bright, but that's what wanted to counter-balance my brilliant-bright Bernabe.
I will be definitely keeping and playing it
Great find! That BR almost looks alive :)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1980 - Hirade Master Arte 8
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri May 19, 2017 11:29 pm

Sort of like an early crossover guitar?? 😄
eno wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:46 pm
Dave Stott wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:32 pm
I have trouble posting photo's here... But I've got a 1988 Takamine model E-30 classical that seems to be a rarity. As best I can tell, it was sold from 1988-1990.
The design of the E-30 is based on the “high end” oval sound hole Takamine Hirade TH90 model with the same rosette and headstock. However, it has laminate rosewood sides and back. There is uncertainty about whether the top is solid spruce or laminate. Even my local luthier isn't certain.

It has what Takamine calls a 3-Band Palathetic Pick-up. The fretboard is rosewood and the neck hasn't budged in all these years, so playability is awesome.

Nice warm sound out of it acoustically.
Yes, Takamine has a lot of hybrid models with cutaways, electic pickups, oval soundholes etc. Strictly speaking they are not classicals any more, they are rather sort of semi-classical.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

henders

Post by henders » Sat May 20, 2017 4:59 am

eno wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 pm
henders wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 5:59 am
Congratulations! I am glad you got it and like it so much. I really love mine. Great guitars. How is the playability?
The action is high right now but I'll get a luthier to lower it to 4mm. otherwise it's quite playable.
Here's the back of my C136S in comparison. Not as dramatic as yours, but still lovely. I am not sure about the type of wood. The Takamine ad posted earlier in this thread says jacaranda only for this model, but this looks more like IRW to me. Not sure though. It has a smell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat May 20, 2017 6:26 am

henders wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 4:59 am
eno wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 pm
henders wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 5:59 am
Congratulations! I am glad you got it and like it so much. I really love mine. Great guitars. How is the playability?
The action is high right now but I'll get a luthier to lower it to 4mm. otherwise it's quite playable.
Here's the back of my C136S in comparison. Not as dramatic as yours, but still lovely. I am not sure about the type of wood. The Takamine ad posted earlier in this thread says jacaranda only for this model, but this looks more like IRW to me. Not sure though. It has a smell.
Yes, it sure looks like IRW, beautiful though! In my opinion it's not necessary a bad thing, BR is more prone to cracking,

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

constantbeginner

Post by constantbeginner » Thu May 25, 2017 4:44 pm

You guys have very nice vintage Japanese guitars !
I just recently got into Japanese guitars by the way of wanting good sound at reasonable price.
Funny how when I started playing and was looking to buy a guitar, it had to be made in Spain. Dont know why but at that time I thought the best guitars were made in Spain. Ended up with an Alhambra 7. Dont think I even considered a Japanese guitar then. So did these Japanese guitars sound as good back then? or is it because of age that makes them sound better now? Anyone have one back then?

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu May 25, 2017 4:54 pm

constantbeginner wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 4:44 pm
I just recently got into Japanese guitars by the way of wanting good sound at reasonable price.
Funny how when I started playing and was looking to buy a guitar, it had to be made in Spain. Dont know why but at that time I thought the best guitars were made in Spain. Ended up with an Alhambra 7. Dont think I even considered a Japanese guitar then. So did these Japanese guitars sound as good back then? or is it because of age that makes them sound better now? Anyone have one back then?
You are most welcome.

Sure, aging woods are said to sound better, as it "matures" or whatever you'd like to call it. If this is true or not I can't really say. However, this is not what makes Japanese guitars great in the first place. If you know what to look for (this thread is a good start), there are some simply amazing guitars to be found, at very reasonable prices. But there is, as always, a lot of junk too...

All the best from Sweden

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

eno

Post by eno » Thu May 25, 2017 5:00 pm

constantbeginner wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 4:44 pm
The short answer is that Spanish guitars are not better or worse than Japanese or any other, they are just different. Spanish guitars (well, not all of them of course, but on average and good ones) usually have a lot of their own strong (and sometimes almost dominant) character and charisma, just like Spanish people :D , often very expressive with more open and bright sound, which many people find overwhelming. Japanese guitars (at least the ones I tried) are usually more neutral and more balanced. I find that some music (like Renaissance, Spanish, some Romantic) sounds better on my Spanish guitar but some other music (Baroque, or any more quiet or meditative kind of music) sounds better on on my Japanese ones.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969

joelmalit

Post by joelmalit » Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 am

rinneby wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:56 am
joelmalit wrote:The very first Japanese classical guitar that came into my possession is my best guitar. I spotted it in 2011 in a surplus shop along side with some other old Japanese guitars. It used to have a slightly bow and twisted neck/fretboard, some popped-up fretwires, broken tuning pegs, some cracks between the sides and bindings, and the guitar itself was totally covered with thick vintage dust. It was unbelievable that I bought this guitar and until today.... I'm a bit confused to think of a reason why I bought this.
Looking at the pictures my instinct tells me this guitar is related to Sadao Yairi. Zen-On or possibly Shiro Aria is also an option, but I may be wrong. Have you translated the label? It looks lovely vintage by the way.

/Jon
I also thought that my guitar was made by Yairi due to some similarities of the labels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 Carl Hellweg-Dieter Hopf CS38, Yusuke Kyo N-12, Ryoji Matsuoka M80R, Kodaira AST-40, Meiko 1967 by Masaru Matano, Yamaha G120A, Yamaha CG131S, Tokai L-50, Fernades GC-15, 1966 Kasuga 80, Terada 700, Craftman C35S, other japanese vintage guitars

joelmalit

Post by joelmalit » Fri May 26, 2017 10:23 am

here's my junk Ryoji Matsuoka M80R requinto... good sounding small-size guitar... and I hate it's shellac finish which is melting on my sweaty left hand and right arm.
1995 Carl Hellweg-Dieter Hopf CS38, Yusuke Kyo N-12, Ryoji Matsuoka M80R, Kodaira AST-40, Meiko 1967 by Masaru Matano, Yamaha G120A, Yamaha CG131S, Tokai L-50, Fernades GC-15, 1966 Kasuga 80, Terada 700, Craftman C35S, other japanese vintage guitars

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Here's my new beauty, safe and sound in Sweden. An extremely rare Taizo Minezawa - 1963, with 48 mm nut and 649 mm scale length . The condition is excellent for a 54 year old. The sound is very unusual, not modern at all, but still a lot of power for such a small guitar. Hard to describe really. I won't use it as my main guitar though, but very cool for certain older/romantic pieces. For once I wish I had smaller hands ;)

First some open strings, then a few short pieces starting at 0:38: http://jon.rinneby.se/musik/taizo_sound_test.mp3

All the best from Sweden!

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:23 pm

Congratulations on this lovely guitar! In cases when the neck width at headstock was a little too small for certain player the cure could be installing another nut with larger string spacing. For some players every millimetre counts...But it may be difficult if the neck width is only 48 mm :(
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:23 pm
Congratulations on this lovely guitar! In cases when the neck width at headstock was a little too small for certain player the cure could be installing another nut with larger string spacing. For some players every millimetre counts...But it may be difficult if the neck width is only 48 mm :(
Thank you! Someone with smaller hands will probably love it :)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

henders

Post by henders » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Nice!

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:04 pm

Jon, your Minezawa is interesting. The very open slots in the head are a little unusual and the

rosette is very different (and appealing) from the more usual ones found on Japanese guitars

of that time; and for some time after. I note that the cat is, perhaps, not completely sure either.

;)
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:30 am

martinardo wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:04 pm
Jon, your Minezawa is interesting. The very open slots in the head are a little unusual and the

rosette is very different (and appealing) from the more usual ones found on Japanese guitars

of that time; and for some time after. I note that the cat is, perhaps, not completely sure either.

;)
Actually I have two cats, neither of them care about my guitars. However, they DO like the guitar cases and sleep in them whenever there is a chance. Here´s the headstock up front, with original cool looking tuners. You can also see the that the fretboard is very dark ebony:

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Return to “Luthiers”