Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
andreas777

Re: We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Post by andreas777 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 pm

rinneby wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:46 pm
So to answer your question...
Thank you for your detailed answer :D
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:49 pm

rinneby wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm
SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:21 pm
I've noticed, since getting my Takemine C132S, that all Japanese made guitars only use Phillips head screws on the tuning machines, Spanish made always use slotted heads. Is that true in general?
My latest Japanese guitar have slotted heads, looks to be original too.

/Jon
Which one? The Yamaguci has Phillips head per pic you posted. So far, pics of every Japanese made guitar posted to this thread I've looked at has Phillips head screws.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:29 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:49 pm
Which one? The Yamaguci has Phillips head per pic you posted. So far, pics of every Japanese made guitar posted to this thread I've looked at has Phillips head screws.
My latest one is actually the Atushi Nakamura :) I have every reason to believe that these tuners and screws are original, they feel and looks really old (actually I need to change them, among other things, but that is another story)

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1997 - Dragan Musulin
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2006 - Casimiro Lozano XXV Aniversario

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Well, that's the first Japanese made guitar with slotted head screws that I've seen.
Try putting tiny drops of olive oil on the gear teeth and also the shaft bearing and work it back and forth a bunch of times. My Takemine C132S tuners was so stiff when I got it. Olive oil made them silky smooth and so easy to tune they feel brand new.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:17 pm

To you who use on Buyee. Please don't bid on the SABURO NOGAMI ending tomorrow. Thank you.

/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:58 am

SteveL123 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:46 pm
Well, that's the first Japanese made guitar with slotted head screws that I've seen.
Try putting tiny drops of olive oil on the gear teeth and also the shaft bearing and work it back and forth a bunch of times. My Takemine C132S tuners was so stiff when I got it. Olive oil made them silky smooth and so easy to tune they feel brand new.
I removed the tuners, and... lo and behold:

Still, I believe they are original. Only that the builder imported the tuners back in the 70s. They are probably Fustero.

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

Kohntarkosz

Post by Kohntarkosz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Here is my recent Japanese guitar story. I'm American but I have lived in Japan for the last 4 years.
Last week, I wanted to buy a good student-level guitar, to replace my Antonio Arpacio which caught a cell phone hurled by an angry ex...but that's a different story. Most of the bigger guitar shops here carry the Juan Hernandez and Antonio Sanchez lines. I did some research and thought the Hernandez Profesor or Concierto would be a good choice within my budget ($2-3k). I played about 8 of these guitars in various shops and I thought they all sounded bad. Just no volume, poor tone, like there was a blanket over the instrument. I know some people like these instruments but I just couldn't see buying one.
Out of frustration I walked over to the used guitar shop in Ochanomizu and they had a Ramirez 5P, I think it was about 5 years old. This guitar had a repaired crack on the cedar top and was only about $1,100. It sounded amazing...loud, brash, aggressive. Unfortunately it seemed like the neck was warped and the action was really high, so I passed.
I was out of places to shop so I did some internet searching and found the Aura shop in Ueno. It looked like they only sold high-end instruments, but I took a drive over to check it out. It's in a residential area and kind of unexpected. The guys there didn't speak English very well but were very friendly and welcoming. They took me into a room full of Hausers, Fletas, Romanillos...the real deal, all in glass cases and very expensive. I asked if they had any student guitars. I was led to another room, with new Japanese luthier guitars, also in glass cases, which were around $5k.
I asked the salesperson if he had any guitars in my budget, and that used was fine. He took me into a third room full of used guitars in cases. I tried several Japanese and Spanish guitars of varying conditions, classicals, flemenca negras, a Conde Hermanos blanca.
Anyway, I left with a 2015 Yoshinori Morii classical, spruce and rosewood, in excellent condition with a really cool case, and I paid less than $2k. It's handmade and appears to be French Polish or really thin nitro. It sounds amazing, it's loud and lightweight, and I couldn't be happier!

joelmalit

Post by joelmalit » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi Jon,
May I ask what is your loudest Japanese cg so far.
Thanks
1995 Carl Hellweg-Dieter Hopf CS38, Yusuke Kyo N-12, Ryoji Matsuoka M80R, Kodaira AST-40, Meiko 1967 by Masaru Matano, Yamaha G120A, Yamaha CG131S, Tokai L-50, Fernades GC-15, 1966 Kasuga 80, Terada 700, Craftman C35S, other japanese vintage guitars

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:41 pm

joelmalit wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:32 pm
Hi Jon,
May I ask what is your loudest Japanese cg so far.
Thanks
Hi joelmalit. I'm not 100% sure. But I think it's my Hiroumi Yamaguchi No.SS or maybe my Kazuo Yairi YC-250. Sometimes one can confuse loudness with brightness, so that needs to be taken into account too. My Masaru Matano Clase 600 has a pretty strong/bright voice too. However, I tend to like guitars that are more on the warm side, than bright/loud.

Why are you looking for a loud guitar?

/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:50 pm

rinneby wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:58 am
SteveL123 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:46 pm
I removed the tuners, and... lo and behold:

Still, I believe they are original. Only that the builder imported the tuners back in the 70s. They are probably Fustero.

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Good detective work! Do Spanish Luthiers all use slotted head screws by tradition?

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Kohntarkosz wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 pm
Here is my recent Japanese guitar story. I'm American but I have lived in Japan for the last 4 years.
Last week, I wanted to buy a good student-level guitar, to replace my Antonio Arpacio which caught a cell phone hurled by an angry ex...but that's a different story. Most of the bigger guitar shops here carry the Juan Hernandez and Antonio Sanchez lines. I did some research and thought the Hernandez Profesor or Concierto would be a good choice within my budget ($2-3k). I played about 8 of these guitars in various shops and I thought they all sounded bad. Just no volume, poor tone, like there was a blanket over the instrument. I know some people like these instruments but I just couldn't see buying one.
Out of frustration I walked over to the used guitar shop in Ochanomizu and they had a Ramirez 5P, I think it was about 5 years old. This guitar had a repaired crack on the cedar top and was only about $1,100. It sounded amazing...loud, brash, aggressive. Unfortunately it seemed like the neck was warped and the action was really high, so I passed.
I was out of places to shop so I did some internet searching and found the Aura shop in Ueno. It looked like they only sold high-end instruments, but I took a drive over to check it out. It's in a residential area and kind of unexpected. The guys there didn't speak English very well but were very friendly and welcoming. They took me into a room full of Hausers, Fletas, Romanillos...the real deal, all in glass cases and very expensive. I asked if they had any student guitars. I was led to another room, with new Japanese luthier guitars, also in glass cases, which were around $5k.
I asked the salesperson if he had any guitars in my budget, and that used was fine. He took me into a third room full of used guitars in cases. I tried several Japanese and Spanish guitars of varying conditions, classicals, flemenca negras, a Conde Hermanos blanca.
Anyway, I left with a 2015 Yoshinori Morii classical, spruce and rosewood, in excellent condition with a really cool case, and I paid less than $2k. It's handmade and appears to be French Polish or really thin nitro. It sounds amazing, it's loud and lightweight, and I couldn't be happier!
This is a wonderful story and one of many reasons we are all here. Maybe you can post some pictures of your Yoshinori Morii? Is it by any chance a No.17?

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

Kohntarkosz

Post by Kohntarkosz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:52 am

Jon,
It is indeed October 2015, number 17. Do you know anything of it?
I haven't been able to find anything about Yoshinori-san on the internet, although I did find his Facebook page.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 am

Kohntarkosz wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:52 am
Jon,
I haven't been able to find anything about Yoshinori-san on the internet, although I did find his Facebook page.
No, not really. I've just seen that guitar on their page. Looked like a nice one! Maybe a new/younger luthier perhaps?

/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

Kohntarkosz

Post by Kohntarkosz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 am

rinneby wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 am
Kohntarkosz wrote:
Jon,
No, not really. I've just seen that guitar on their page. Looked like a nice one! Maybe a new/younger luthier perhaps?

/Jon
In his Facebook picture he looks like an older gentleman. Most of his friends there seem to be Japanese classical guitarists and luthiers.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 am

Kohntarkosz wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 am
rinneby wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 am
Kohntarkosz wrote:
Jon,

/Jon
In his Facebook picture he looks like an older gentleman. Most of his friends there seem to be Japanese classical guitarists and luthiers.
Thank you for the info. Maybe you can contact him, ask a little of his history? Maybe he has been building for a long time?

Also a picture or two of the guitar would be nice!

/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

Return to “Luthiers”