We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Re: We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Post by rinneby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:52 am

Humphrey wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:20 pm
My son owns ( now 15 years) a Yuichi Imai a beautiful guitar very loud but sounds also very good.
First he tried at that time a Bernabe, Ramirez and several other guitars from spanish builders but the Imai was foremost the best and musical ( very loud) sounding guitar but I have to say the Imai cost twice at much as the other ones.

Best regards,

Humphrey
Hi Humphrey, do you know what model it is?

Kind regards
/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1990 - Antonio Raya Pardo 1A
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt Torres

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:32 pm

I noticed some guitars are blocked on Buyee because some items/materials in the description are prohibited. But you can request to unblock it by clicking a button and order at your own risk, in some cases. Has anyone tried this and then run into problems?

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:49 pm

madrilla wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:32 pm
I noticed some guitars are blocked on Buyee because some items/materials in the description are prohibited. But you can request to unblock it by clicking a button and order at your own risk, in some cases. Has anyone tried this and then run into problems?
Yes, and they don't unblock it in 99% of the cases. My tip is to not bid if Buyee recommends not to. However, you have to use google translate and decide for your self though.

All the best from Sweden
/Jon

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:06 pm

rinneby wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:49 pm
madrilla wrote:
Yes, and they don't unblock it in 99% of the cases. My tip is to not bid if Buyee recommends not to. However, you have to use google translate and decide for your self though.

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Thanks Jon. I think the word that i s causing this is "ハカランダ" or Jacaranda. But some of them just give a warning without blocking. Do you avoid those too? The funny thing is you can see some listings where there is clearly figured rosewood in the photos but because it wasn't mentioned in the description there is no warning.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:10 pm

madrilla wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:06 pm
rinneby wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:49 pm
madrilla wrote:

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Thanks Jon. I think the word that i s causing this is "ハカランダ" or Jacaranda. But some of them just give a warning without blocking. Do you avoid those too? The funny thing is you can see some listings where there is clearly figured rosewood in the photos but because it wasn't mentioned in the description there is no warning.
Yes, I don't bid on those. But who knows, maybe they send it anyway? Too much money to take the risk though...

/J

630mm

Post by 630mm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:08 am

Well, I'm now the proud owner of a large handful of japanese guitars. I won a Mitsuru Tamura 800, Matano 600, some Yamaha GCs a little while back and a few Matsuokas. I am trying to rehumidify a few of the guitars that had slightly shrunken fingerboards and/or sunken tops. What I'm finding is that after fully rehydrating them in the case and returning them to my 50%RH room, some are slowly returning to their previous states. I have seen this on a few Chinese made guitars too, where they like to be kept at closer to 60% humidity. Anybody else encounter this? Were some of the workshops where these were built very humid? How do others take care of this? I'm hoping to avoid keeping separate enclosures/cases at different humidity levels.

Thanks
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
1976 Masaru Matano 600 Cedar 658mm
2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:08 am

Double post.
Last edited by rinneby on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:09 am

630mm wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:08 am
Well, I'm now the proud owner of a large handful of japanese guitars. I won a Mitsuru Tamura 800, Matano 600, some Yamaha GCs a little while back and a few Matsuokas. I am trying to rehumidify a few of the guitars that had slightly shrunken fingerboards and/or sunken tops. What I'm finding is that after fully rehydrating them in the case and returning them to my 50%RH room, some are slowly returning to their previous states. I have seen this on a few Chinese made guitars too, where they like to be kept at closer to 60% humidity. Anybody else encounter this? Were some of the workshops where these were built very humid? How do others take care of this? I'm hoping to avoid keeping separate enclosures/cases at different humidity levels.

Thanks
All my Japanese guitars have acclimatized just fine in Sweden. Inside it's 40-60% humidity around the year. Actually some guitars have gotten lower action, than when I first got them.

All the best from Sweden
/Jon

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:09 am

Double post.

630mm

Post by 630mm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:41 pm

I ordered most of mine out of California. Strangely, a few were quite wet and a few were dry. My T. Matsuoka needed a few weeks at 30% humidity and a fan to dry it out a little and bring the top back down.
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
1976 Masaru Matano 600 Cedar 658mm
2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:23 pm

630mm wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:41 pm
I ordered most of mine out of California. Strangely, a few were quite wet and a few were dry. My T. Matsuoka needed a few weeks at 30% humidity and a fan to dry it out a little and bring the top back down.
For the most part Japan is pretty humid I suppose, but I also got a very dry guitar once, it survived though :)

/J

Humphrey
Amateur luthier

Post by Humphrey » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:23 pm

rinneby wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:04 am
Humphrey wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:00 pm
Some pictures of my Sakura. guitar
That sure looks like a Ramirez 1A, even the label inside is similar. I've not come across too many Sakura's (not to be confused with Masaki Sakurai) but there was a model called Sakura 136S sold by Ivor Mairants in the 70s I think. That model was based on the Takamine 136S, which in turn was based on the 1A :shock: - I believe Sakura's were made for export only. I cannot comment on their quality though, but until anyone proves the opposite, let's just say they are great ;)

/Jon
Hi Jon
I can tell you the sound of my Sakura is still after so many years beautiful, my son when he was very young has won a first price on a classical guitar contest where he played on my Sakura ,Barrios, Bach , Sor at the age of 14 years . The members of the jury thought he plays a Ramirez;)
And often they say that a Ceder soundboard wil sound less better when aging but I disagree!

Regards,

Humphrey

caneti3

Post by caneti3 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:50 am

rinneby wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:00 am
caneti3 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:48 am
Two days ago I got my first Japanese guitar: Rioji Matsuoka 1972. So far I had only heard good things about Japanese guitars. Now I know why.
The guitar has been bought to Jon and the description that he made me is the same what I perceive when I'm playing: round soft trebles and somewhat midrange emphasized basses, but never harsh or thin sounding. The bass are still vibrating as long as you had a s.XIX Torres guitar. Happy. I've attached a small clip. Excuse the sound (recorded with my cell phone):

https://youtu.be/1wv4S4qCOIQ

Best
Ferran
Excellent sound, playing and pictures. Keep up the good work!

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Jon! Thank you for your kind words. I could not answer before. Bad days for democracy in Catalonia...

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi all - newish here but just chiming in to say that I have an affinity for Japanese guitars. Currently own a Masaki Sakurai Special and have owned a few other student-level models in the past. I keep coming back to them, though I'm not sure I can completely say why for sure. Maybe it's sentimental. I find them... charming. Not sure if that's the best way to describe it but it seems appropriate. Currently eyeing a vintage Kohno as well that I think would be very interesting.

Humphrey
Amateur luthier

Post by Humphrey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:17 pm

Jon
Yuchi Imai: nr.45 1995, 16-60-1
My Son and I had met Yuchi Imai in Cologne Germany ( my son studied at the conservatory there) a very kind and humble man he invited us to diner with him, He also had a connection with Masaru Kono.

Return to “Luthiers”