We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Humphrey
Amateur luthier

Re: We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Post by Humphrey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:33 pm

The sound of my Sakura ( Ramirez copy) is still very good after so many years, my son played the guitar at a classic guitar contest, of the age of 14 and won the contest. He played Bach, Barrios, Sor and Sevillia /Albeniz. The members of the jury thought he played a Ramirez;)

I hear often that a Ceder soundboard is not aging very well and Spruce is a better choice but is it true? I don't know...

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:39 pm

stratlanta wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 pm
Hi all - newish here but just chiming in to say that I have an affinity for Japanese guitars. Currently own a Masaki Sakurai Special and have owned a few other student-level models in the past. I keep coming back to them, though I'm not sure I can completely say why for sure. Maybe it's sentimental. I find them... charming. Not sure if that's the best way to describe it but it seems appropriate. Currently eyeing a vintage Kohno as well that I think would be very interesting.
Welcome stratlanta. I'm glad you share our love for Japanese guitars. Sakurai indeed makes great instruments. What vintage Kohno model is it that you have your eyes on? 60s or 70s?

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1980 - Hirade Master Arte 8
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Humphrey wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:33 pm
The sound of my Sakura ( Ramirez copy) is still very good after so many years, my son played the guitar at a classic guitar contest, of the age of 14 and won the contest. He played Bach, Barrios, Sor and Sevillia /Albeniz. The members of the jury thought he played a Ramirez;)

I hear often that a Ceder soundboard is not aging very well and Spruce is a better choice but is it true? I don't know...
Thank you for the update on the Imai. Also, I don't think Spruce is "better" than cedar. However spruce is more likely to chance tonally over the years, often for the better.

All the best
/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:50 am

rinneby wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:39 pm
stratlanta wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 pm
Hi all - newish here but just chiming in to say that I have an affinity for Japanese guitars. Currently own a Masaki Sakurai Special and have owned a few other student-level models in the past. I keep coming back to them, though I'm not sure I can completely say why for sure. Maybe it's sentimental. I find them... charming. Not sure if that's the best way to describe it but it seems appropriate. Currently eyeing a vintage Kohno as well that I think would be very interesting.
Welcome stratlanta. I'm glad you share our love for Japanese guitars. Sakurai indeed makes great instruments. What vintage Kohno model is it that you have your eyes on? 60s or 70s?

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Thanks! It's from the 60s. I'm not really a vintage guitar guy but it's reasonably priced and I'm finding it intriguing.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:07 am

stratlanta wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:50 am
Thanks! It's from the 60s. I'm not really a vintage guitar guy but it's reasonably priced and I'm finding it intriguing.
Just send me a PM if you need some advice before buying it.

Kind regards
/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:59 am

rinneby wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:07 am
stratlanta wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:50 am
Just send me a PM if you need some advice before buying it.

Kind regards
/Jon
Appreciate that

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:59 am

rinneby wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am
Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 am
My Kuniharu Nobe has shipped today from Japan in express mail... :D
Yes! :guitare: :mouton: My guess is that you will have the guitar on Tuesday/Wednesday if customs doesn't mess with you ;)
I'm tracking the package and, Indeed, it arrived to Lisbon this Monday, October 2nd. Since then it is "Held for customs inspection"... :(. Apparently, they are already messing messing with it... But tell me, Jon, how did you receive your Japanese guitars? Are they delivered directly to your home? Did you have to collect them at some Post Office depot? And how did you pay the customs duties?
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spruce, RW B&S, Tokio, Japan
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51 mm, Cedar, laminated RW B&S, Nagoya, Japan
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52 mm, Canadian Cedar, Madagascar RW B&S, Banyoles, Spain

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:59 am
rinneby wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am
Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 am
My Kuniharu Nobe has shipped today from Japan in express mail... :D
Yes! :guitare: :mouton: My guess is that you will have the guitar on Tuesday/Wednesday if customs doesn't mess with you ;)
I'm tracking the package and, Indeed, it arrived to Lisbon this Monday, October 2nd. Since then it is "Held for customs inspection"... :(. Apparently, they are already messing messing with it... But tell me, Jon, how did you receive your Japanese guitars? Are they delivered directly to your home? Did you have to collect them at some Post Office depot? And how did you pay the customs duties?
When a guitar arrives to Sweden the Swedish postal service takes over. Usually they don't stay in customs more than a day or two here, but things might be different were you live. I have to collect the guitars my self, no delivery. Fingers crossed!

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:35 pm

rinneby wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:51 pm
When a guitar arrives to Sweden the Swedish postal service takes over. Usually they don't stay in customs more than a day or two here, but things might be different were you live. I have to collect the guitars my self, no delivery. Fingers crossed!

/Jon
Yes, Jon, thank you, good advice, fingers crossed :D...
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spruce, RW B&S, Tokio, Japan
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51 mm, Cedar, laminated RW B&S, Nagoya, Japan
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52 mm, Canadian Cedar, Madagascar RW B&S, Banyoles, Spain

UPGuitar

Post by UPGuitar » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:00 pm

wow! this is a GREAT thread! count me in!
I've owned many many Japanese made guitars....i absolutely love them. sadly I've sold over the years most of them.....but I'm back to collecting them when I find them!
-Masaki Sakurai concert sp/in
-Yamaha gc31c cd/in
-F.Sheppard French Romantic era replica sp/mpl
-S.Ganz "SunDog" sp/in
-S.Ganz "Brujo" 8-string sp/brz
-J.Sigurdson peghead flamenco sp/ayc
-S.Castillo peghead flamenco sp/cy

UPGuitar

Post by UPGuitar » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:47 pm

not sure if this is the right spot to ask....
but does anyone know of a place in the usa that sells japanese made flamenco guitars???
they seem to be very limited.
thanks!
-Yamaha gc31c cd/in
-S.Ganz "SunDog" sp/in

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:01 pm

UPGuitar wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:00 pm
I've owned many many Japanese made guitars....i absolutely love them. sadly I've sold over the years most of them.....but I'm back to collecting them when I find them!
You are most welcome. Do you remember any particular guitar that you liked back then? Do you have any now?

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

UPGuitar

Post by UPGuitar » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:27 pm

rinneby wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:01 pm
UPGuitar wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:00 pm
You are most welcome. Do you remember any particular guitar that you liked back then? Do you have any now?

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
the one im missing the most is an old peghead k.yairi flamenco....very much regret ever selling that!!
otherwise the matsouka, takamines, s.yairi and yamahas were all very nice! wish I still had them all.
right now my favorite guitar I own is a Sakurai....what a dream to play and very refined!
-Yamaha gc31c cd/in
-S.Ganz "SunDog" sp/in

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:49 pm

I put a post in old thread on Ibanez guitars, but perhaps the thread is too old. So I hope that it is not rude to repeat it here with hope for some informations.

So let me please ask - on behalf of one of my acquitances - for enlightement on Ibanez Andorra Classic Conservatory GA 80, serial no. 82090652 T. How old it is, what class of instrument it is (I presume that it is a kind of Estudio guitar or something similar but I am not knowledgeable in the matter of Japanese guitars), is it solid wood or laminated, cedar or spruce etc ? any information and sugesstions will be of great help.

Thank you !
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:49 pm
I put a post in old thread on Ibanez guitars, but perhaps the thread is too old. So I hope that it is not rude to repeat it here with hope for some informations.

So let me please ask - on behalf of one of my acquitances - for enlightement on Ibanez Andorra Classic Conservatory GA 80, serial no. 82090652 T. How old it is, what class of instrument it is (I presume that it is a kind of Estudio guitar or something similar but I am not knowledgeable in the matter of Japanese guitars), is it solid wood or laminated, cedar or spruce etc ? any information and sugesstions will be of great help.

Thank you !
The Andorra Conservatory Series was made in the early 80s and had ceder top, laminated Indian rosewood back and sides, rosewood fretboard and nato neck. The lineup was: GA120S (Solid top), GA120, GA100S (Solid top), GA100, GA80 and GA60. They were moderate in price and aimed at intermediate students.

Above the Conservatory Series was the Andorra Recital Series with solid cedar top, laminated Indian rosewood back ands sides, rosewood fretboard and mahogany neck. The lineup was: GA500S, GA400S and GA300S. They were built for intermediate/professional players.

Above the Andorra Recital Series was the Mastercraft series that was actually never released, at least not under the Ibanez brand. Solid cedar top, solid Brasilian rosewood back and sides (back only for the GA1000), ebony fingerboard and mahogany neck. The lineup was GA1000 and GA1200. The only trace I found of the Mastercraft series is the Ryoji Matsuoka GA1000, he worked for Ibanez back then.

Hope it helps

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Return to “Luthiers”