We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Re: We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Post by rinneby » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:Yes, Jon, I saw your PM, thank you. The guitar is beautiful, but I was looking for a more modern design. I'll keep looking and will follow your leads.

Best regards,

Jorge
:guitare:
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1976 - Kazuo Yairi YC-250
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

You are the instrument, not the guitar

ghenson

Post by ghenson » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:58 am

I have a wonderful Hiroshi Komori no. 10 spruce/Indian. I have been told that he was a student of Kohno.
His guitar sounds fantastic.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:19 am

ghenson wrote:I have a wonderful Hiroshi Komori no. 10 spruce/Indian. I have been told that he was a student of Kohno.
His guitar sounds fantastic.
That is correct, Hiroshi Komori was a student of Masrau Kohno and his guitars have a fine reputation. To my understanding his builds are a little more traditional? Is your guitar from the 70s or 80s? Can we see some pictures? :)

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

ghenson

Post by ghenson » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:57 am

It's from the 80s. I will post pics later this evening.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Today I got my eagerly awaited Ryoji Matsuoka No.80 - 1973. One of the Japanese classical guitars that I've always wanted. This was the top model produced only during 1973-75, not to be confused with the later M80. Solid spruce top, solid CSA rosewood back and sides, butterfly rosette and other nice decorations. A very rare guitar to say the least. The guitar is in excellent condition (as in haven't been played much) excpect for the top that has some ugly lacquer cracks. I took it to my luthier today and he confirmed that there is no structural damage and it's possible to make it look like new again. I will have to think about that...

Regarding the sound it's different from my No.60 - Great sustain and very mature and open sound, excellent separation and shiny trebles. Not as warm/soft as the No.60 though.

Luthier Lloyd Gramstad showing the back of the Ryoji Matsuoka No.80

Lacquer cracks...

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:05 pm

rinneby wrote:Today I got my eagerly awaited Ryoji Matsuoka No.80 - 1973.
Congratulations for your new guitar. If the sound is as good (or even better) as expected, then I would consider replacing the old finish completely with shellac. A local luthier here (A. Dreier in Schorndorf, Germany) did that perfectly with my John Mills guitar. Did you buy it in the EU, or if not, how did you handle the CITES problem?
20 classical guitars, soon 21 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:43 am

andreas777 wrote:
rinneby wrote:Today I got my eagerly awaited Ryoji Matsuoka No.80 - 1973.
Congratulations for your new guitar. If the sound is as good (or even better) as expected, then I would consider replacing the old finish completely with shellac. A local luthier here (A. Dreier in Schorndorf, Germany) did that perfectly with my John Mills guitar. Did you buy it in the EU, or if not, how did you handle the CITES problem?
Thank you Andreas. The guitar sounds very good so it's defiantly a keeper. Regarding replacing the old finish with shellac, this is exactly what we talked about. Did you remove the bridge before the reamke? How much was the totalt cost?

I bought the guitar from Japan. No problems to buy guitars outside of EU as a private person in Sweden, if the total weight is less than 10 kg. Regarding the woods on this one I took a chance.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 am

rinneby wrote:Thank you Andreas. The guitar sounds very good so it's defiantly a keeper. Regarding replacing the old finish with shellac, this is exactly what we talked about. Did you remove the bridge before the reamke? How much was the totalt cost?

I bought the guitar from Japan. No problems to buy guitars outside of EU as a private person in Sweden, if the total weight is less than 10 kg. Regarding the woods on this one I took a chance.

/Jon
You're lucky. I have no experiences with that but I guess the German authorities or customs officers use a stricter interpretation of these new regulations. My luthier did not remove the bridge, and as far as I remember the cost was about €900. Beside the complete shellac finish it included removing the old finish, cleaning the fretboard, polishing the frets, and putting on new strings. Have you ever tried one of these service providers oneJP or buyee?

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:09 am

andreas777 wrote:
rinneby wrote:Thank you Andreas. The guitar sounds very good so it's defiantly a keeper. Regarding replacing the old finish with shellac, this is exactly what we talked about. Did you remove the bridge before the reamke? How much was the totalt cost?

/Jon
You're lucky. I have no experiences with that but I guess the German authorities or customs officers use a stricter interpretation of these new regulations. My luthier did not remove the bridge, and as far as I remember the cost was about €900. Beside the complete shellac finish it included removing the old finish, cleaning the fretboard, polishing the frets, and putting on new strings. Have you ever tried one of these service providers oneJP or buyee?
Lucky, I don't know? It's not that I did anything wrong, at least not in Sweden.

I have used Buyee, it works great! They pack the guitars very very well.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:59 pm

rinneby wrote:
andreas777 wrote:You're lucky.
Lucky, I don't know? It's not that I did anything wrong, at least not in Sweden.
Hi Jon, it was not my intention to indicate that you did anything wrong. My "you're lucky" should simply express that you must be happy to have received the guitar "you always wanted", it survived the shipment from Japan undamaged, and there were no problems with missing documents or bad-tempered customs officers. I still don't know for sure how these new CITES regulations must be interpreted, for example the 10kg exception, and this uncertainty discouraged me so far from buying any guitars outside the EU. In addition I think there are no customs officers in the world that take their job so seriously than the ones here in Germany :lol:

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:52 pm

I have two of these hand-crafted Tsuji guitars, a S-1 (cedar) and a S-2 (Ezo spruce) from 1995. My S-2 only weights a bit more than 1400g, compared to my John Mills guitars with almost 1700g, or my Yamaha guitars with more than 1700g. I'm still looking for an old S-3 but they are sooo hard to find here in the EU :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:55 am

andreas777 wrote:
rinneby wrote:
andreas777 wrote:You're lucky.
Hi Jon, it was not my intention to indicate that you did anything wrong. My "you're lucky" should simply express that you must be happy to have received the guitar "you always wanted", it survived the shipment from Japan undamaged, and there were no problems with missing documents or bad-tempered customs officers. I still don't know for sure how these new CITES regulations must be interpreted, for example the 10kg exception, and this uncertainty discouraged me so far from buying any guitars outside the EU. In addition I think there are no customs officers in the world that take their job so seriously than the ones here in Germany :lol:
I see :) Do German customs really open/check every package? That sounds crazy. You could always try to order a cheap guitar from Buyee/Japan to see what happens. That's what I did to ge me started.

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:56 am

andreas777 wrote:I have two of these hand-crafted Tsuji guitars, a S-1 (cedar) and a S-2 (Ezo spruce) from 1995. My S-2 only weights a bit more than 1400g, compared to my John Mills guitars with almost 1700g, or my Yamaha guitars with more than 1700g. I'm still looking for an old S-3 but they are sooo hard to find here in the EU :(
Excellent. I've always liked Asturias guitars and Tsuji's work is no exception! I will keep my eyes opened for a S-3 then :guitare: - Regarding the S-3, it's quite an expensive one right?

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:38 am

rinneby wrote:You could always try to order a cheap guitar from Buyee/Japan to see what happens. That's what I did to ge me started.
/Jon
I already thought about buying a cheap Yamaha guitar outside the EU and test the export/import process. I'm still looking for a well-preserved G-160 or G-220 (without 'A') for this purpose. A G-220 was sold some weeks ago in the US for USD 75 but I saw it too late :(
Regarding the S-3, I think the price would be somewhere in the €2000-€3000 range, dependent on the condition.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:02 am

andreas777 wrote:
rinneby wrote:You could always try to order a cheap guitar from Buyee/Japan to see what happens. That's what I did to ge me started.
/Jon
I already thought about buying a cheap Yamaha guitar outside the EU and test the export/import process. I'm still looking for a well-preserved G-160 or G-220 (without 'A') for this purpose. A G-220 was sold some weeks ago in the US for USD 75 but I saw it too late :(
Regarding the S-3, I think the price would be somewhere in the €2000-€3000 range, dependent on the condition.
Pm send regarding the Yamaha's.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

Return to “Luthiers”