Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Re: We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Post by rinneby » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:00 am

dandan wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:58 am
BoiseClassic wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 am
This is my first post (other than the introduction). Hope this is the right place. Thought everyone might like to see it.

Picked this up recently in my wanderings. Most of the Marco Polo guitars I have seen are no-name or suzuki. But this one had a Yairi label. Perhaps they did a small run for Marco Polo at some point? Label says year 1965. It came in, what I have to believe, is the original case. It is in good shape and surprisingly light. Played but not abused. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The Yairi 250 was towards the bottom end of the Yairi range, but still a nice guitar. It has a solid spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides. This is the same spec as the Yairi Soloist sold in the UK by Barnes & Mullins, which I have a soft spot for, as my friend's dad had one that I coveted when I was a kid. I guess I can trace my love for Japanese guitars back to that...
Great info. Not to be confused with the high-end Yairi YC-250 :)

/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1997 - Dragan Musulin
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2006 - Casimiro Lozano XXV Aniversario

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:28 pm

I just bought a Yairi from Japan, made in 1993. Just waiting for shipment to the warehouse and the damage on shipping fees & customs, which might bring it close to the original new price :cry: . On the plus side, it is a standard length Yairi, the tuners were replaced with Gotoh (any good?), 2 sets of strings included, and a hard case. The case protects the guitar obviously, but probably adds 5kg to the package weight.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:32 pm

madrilla wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:28 pm
I just bought a Yairi from Japan, made in 1993. Just waiting for shipment to the warehouse and the damage on shipping fees & customs, which might bring it close to the original new price :cry: . On the plus side, it is a standard length Yairi, the tuners were replaced with Gotoh (any good?), 2 sets of strings included, and a hard case. The case protects the guitar obviously, but probably adds 5kg to the package weight.
Nice, what model?

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:36 pm

rinneby wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Nice, what model?

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
It is an RS 5. Do you know anything about it?

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:42 pm

The other good thing it has the handcrafted by Yairi label, not mass produced in a factory.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:27 pm

madrilla wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:36 pm
rinneby wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Nice, what model?

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
It is an RS 5. Do you know anything about it?
Not really, It's a Ramirez inspired guitar with 650 mm scale, solid cedar top and laminated Indian rosewood back/sides, ebony fingerboard and mahogany neck. Unlike the Alvarez models this guitar was ment for the domestic market. It's an intermediate/student guitar, but probably well made and not low-grade. I never played one though. Keep us updated!

/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 pm

rinneby wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Not really, It's a Ramirez inspired guitar with 650 mm scale, solid cedar top and laminated Indian rosewood back/sides, ebony fingerboard and mahogany neck. Unlike the Alvarez models this guitar was meant for the domestic market. It's an intermediate/student guitar, but probably well made and not low-grade. I never played one though. Keep us updated!

/Jon
Thanks. It arrived at the warehouse but they said it can't be sent by standard shipping methods UPS & EMS. I don't really understand why because it's just a standard guitar with case. So they are looking for another option :?
Last edited by madrilla on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:41 pm

madrilla wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 pm
rinneby wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Not really, It's a Ramirez inspired guitar with 650 mm scale, solid cedar top and laminated Indian rosewood back/sides, ebony fingerboard and mahogany neck. Unlike the Alvarez models this guitar was meant for the domestic market. It's an intermediate/student guitar, but probably well made and not low-grade. I never played one though. Keep us updated!

/Jon
Thanks. It's arrived in the warehouse but they said it can't be sent by standard shipping methods UPS & EMS. I really don't understand because it's just a standard guitar with case. So they are looking for another option :?
This happened to me once. After a few days I was asked to pay for "special packing service" (like you always have to do anyway). So no need to worry just yet :)

/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

molasses

Post by molasses » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:09 am

Hi I am new to this forum and am seeking any information on a classical guitar I received as a gift in the mid 80"s. Ii is a Japanese made Ibanez model GA 1000 from the information on the label but I have been unable to find any similar model elsewhere. I've attached a picture, if anyone can shed any further information about this model it would be greatly appreciated.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:19 am

molasses wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:09 am
Hi I am new to this forum and am seeking any information on a classical guitar I received as a gift in the mid 80"s. Ii is a Japanese made Ibanez model GA 1000 from the information on the label but I have been unable to find any similar model elsewhere. I've attached a picture, if anyone can shed any further information about this model it would be greatly appreciated.
Most welcome to the forum. The GA1000, as well as the GA1200 was part of the Mastercraft series made by Ibanez in 82-83. This is a rare model that wasn't mass produced and also later made by Ryoji Matsuoka, who worked for Ibanez back then. Your guitar has Solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and laminated sides. Some pictures would be nice. Where do you live?

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

molasses

Post by molasses » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:32 am

Hi Jon, thank you. I live in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. I attached a picture but it didn't show in my post. Would like to upload some more if you can suggest how to correctly. Thanks!...Ok the brochure you attached just showed up in your reply, wow quite a lot of information there. Thank you so much for this :D Will try to attach pics again...
Last edited by molasses on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:34 am

molasses wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:32 am
Hi Jon, thank you. I live in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. I attached a picture but it didn't show in my post. Would like to upload some more if you can suggest how to correctly. Thanks!
Your picture can exceed 320 kb I think. It's better to upload the picture somewhere, and then link to it using "insert image" button.

/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

molasses

Post by molasses » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:21 am

molasses wrote:
Hi Jon, thank you. I live in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. I attached a picture but it didn't show in my post. Would like to upload some more if you can suggest how to correctly. Thanks!...Ok the brochure you attached just showed up in your reply, wow quite a lot of information there. Thank you so much for this :D Will try to attach pics again...
[https://postimg.org/gallery/140mhkarq/]

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:51 am

molasses wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:21 am
molasses wrote:
[https://postimg.org/gallery/140mhkarq/]
Interesting. This guitar actually looks more like a Ryoji Matsuoka from the MH-series (Hauser, rather than Ramirez inspired). This leads me to believe that this is in fact a Matsuoka, but labeled as an Ibanez for some reason. If you look closely it looks like a label was removed. Google "Ryoji Matsuoka MH100" and you see what I mean.

Another clue to prove my point is that I've not yet seen a "real" Ibanez Mastercraft, looking like ones on the pictures from the brochure (that I posted above). As I said, interesting :) Do you like the guitar?

/Jon
1997 - Dragan Musulin

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi Jon and all the other Japanese classical guitar experts. I would very much appreciate if someone could provide some advance information about a Yairi Y-80 which came into my focus? Just to estimate if more serious considerations are requested.

Thanks in advance! :merci:

Return to “Luthiers”