Re: We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Post by rinneby » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:49 pm

richtm wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:34 am
Hi,

what's about a japenese Maker:
M. Hashimura (not listed above)
:contrat:
The Label says: Torella - Classic Modell Nippon, handcrafted by M. Hashimura, No. 210, 1980.
It's a Torres copy - it's called Torella. Does anybody know this maker? Top: Spruce, Back and sides: Cypress. Tone is clear and singing.

Thanks in advance :merci:
I will look into this and get back to you!

/Jon
1992 - Manuel Bellido
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt Torres

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:52 pm

KenO wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:17 pm
rinneby wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:29 pm
Today the sun was shining here in Sweden, so I took the liberty to recorded a few of my "not so expensive" guitars. No equalization, just a tiny bit of reverb. La Bella 2001 medium tension strings:

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Thanks for sharing rinneby!Listened through some nice studio head phones. All beautiful guitars with beautiful resonance. I really like the mid-range clarity of the Nakamura. Surprised by the voice of the Cedar/Zebrawood Tama. You must enjoy playing all of them. Do you have a favorite among these? I'm a bit biased toward the Nogami, and interestingly, my '67 Spruce/BRW Nogami sounds a bit closer to the Nakamura. Nice playing too. I like the tone quality that your fingerpicking draws out of the guitars. Really love listening to comparisons like these. Thanks!
:merci: :guitare: I recently started to play with (a little bit) longer finger nails, and I think I like it. Not too long though, quite normal actually I guess, but I was more of a flesh player before ;) A favorite you ask?! Hmmm... that's a hard one, I like them all in different ways. But if I must pick one its the Nakamura, it's so unusual (never seen another one) and also is very easy to play. It’s not loud, but as you noticed a great midrange.

/Jon
1992 - Manuel Bellido

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Nappingdog wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm
Hello! I️ was wondering if you have any knowledge on the Takamine hirade h-15 guitars? Thanks!
I have the precursor to the H-15: The Hirade Master Arte Eight. It’s a great guitar. I will do a video recording of it tomorrow. There was also a H-20, it was the top model. Below H-15 was the H-5, H-8.

Here is what the original catalog says about the older Hirade series that you are referring to: "Takamine founder, Mass Hirade, devoted his life to the art of guitar making. His concept for the classical guitar has been recognized as a major step forward in the development of the instrument. A small group of Takamine luthiers still craft a few of these fine concert classics every year, using Mr. Hirade's original drawings."

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
1992 - Manuel Bellido

Nappingdog

Post by Nappingdog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 pm

630mm wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 am
Hi Jon, thanks for the comparisons and the reminder of how much I need to learn that Gary Ryan piece.

Hi NappingDog, I'm also curious about the Hirade models.
Hey! I’ve got a hirade h-15 spruce topped with I️ assume lamanite indian, it’s a really loud and clear sounding guitar, a friend of mine said it was a higher end model I’m waiting for more info from him as he imported Takamine/kohno/sakurai guitars in the 70’s and 80’s. I️ also have a sakurai no 5. He said it was made in the Takamine shop also.
Mark A, tupelo MS
Mateo Crespi 2009
Sakurai no 5 1975
10 string sakurai no 5 1976(Nunez conversation)
Kenny Hill(la Mancha) Munich
Martin om-21 steel string
Takamine hirade h-15
Hippner Fleta 2013 spruce/Honduran rosewood

Nappingdog

Post by Nappingdog » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:56 am

rinneby wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:12 pm
Nappingdog wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm
Hello! I️ was wondering if you have any knowledge on the Takamine hirade h-15 guitars? Thanks!
I have the precursor to the H-15: The Hirade Master Arte Eight. It’s a great guitar. I will do a video recording of it tomorrow. There was also a H-20, it was the top model. Below H-15 was the H-5, H-8.

Here is what the original catalog says about the older Hirade series that you are referring to: "Takamine founder, Mass Hirade, devoted his life to the art of guitar making. His concept for the classical guitar has been recognized as a major step forward in the development of the instrument. A small group of Takamine luthiers still craft a few of these fine concert classics every year, using Mr. Hirade's original drawings."

/Jon
Awesome!!!
Mark A, tupelo MS
Mateo Crespi 2009
Sakurai no 5 1975
10 string sakurai no 5 1976(Nunez conversation)
Kenny Hill(la Mancha) Munich
Martin om-21 steel string
Takamine hirade h-15
Hippner Fleta 2013 spruce/Honduran rosewood

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Here's my Takamine Hirade Master Arte Eight from 1980:

Youtube

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1992 - Manuel Bellido

Ruki1414

Post by Ruki1414 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Hello Jon and other guys who are posting here,

I learned a lot about vintage Japanese guitars in this thread and I sm still following your posts.

I have 1971 M.Matano Clase 400 in pretty bad shape. It had plastic pickguard and by removing it, the lacquer was damaged. The guitar has a lot of scracthes on the top as well and I'm planning to remove lacquer, On the page 13 you added pictutes of your Matsuoka M80 before and after the removing of the lacquer. How you've done it? Are there any special problems (sound hole rosette, bindings)? I am practicing currently with a cheap guitar but it didn't have a real sound hole rosette, only some kind of sticker.

A few photos of the Matano:

It seems that the lacquer is not as thick like the one from your M 80.

Thank you in advance and best regards from Munich,

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:48 pm

Ruki1414 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:41 pm
Hello Jon and other guys who are posting here,

I learned a lot about vintage Japanese guitars in this thread and I sm still following your posts.

I have 1971 M.Matano Clase 400 in pretty bad shape. It had plastic pickguard and by removing it, the lacquer was damaged. The guitar has a lot of scracthes on the top as well and I'm planning to remove lacquer, On the page 13 you added pictutes of your Matsuoka M80 before and after the removing of the lacquer. How you've done it? Are there any special problems (sound hole rosette, bindings)? I am practicing currently with a cheap guitar but it didn't have a real sound hole rosette, only some kind of sticker.

A few photos of the Matano:

It seems that the lacquer is not as thick like the one from your M 80.

Thank you in advance and best regards from Munich,
Hi Ruki, I didn't do it my self, it was done professionally. If you don't have the right skills and tools, I would suggest you let someone else do it. There are many luthiers in Germany who would be happy to help you. Keep in mind that the lacquer is colored, so if you re-finish you can choose what ever color you like, almost ;)

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1992 - Manuel Bellido

Phil McKelliget

Post by Phil McKelliget » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:56 pm

I bought a Masaru Kohno Professional in 1983 and am still playing it. I’ve had a few digressions along the way but have always come back to the Kohno. Best item I ever bought in my life. Here’s how it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lbsnBiJ26c

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Phil McKelliget wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:56 pm
I bought a Masaru Kohno Professional in 1983 and am still playing it. I’ve had a few digressions along the way but have always come back to the Kohno. Best item I ever bought in my life. Here’s how it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lbsnBiJ26c
I had quite a few Kohno's my self, they were all excellent guitars, in one way or another. A Kohno from 1967 is on my short list :)

Great playing by the way and that Kohno sounds lovely!

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992 - Manuel Bellido

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi, Japanese guitars lovers :D:

Got finally my Ryoji Matsuoka No.40 (1979). Here are some pictures:

img_1.jpg
img_2.jpg
img_3.jpg
img_4.jpg
img_5.jpg
img_6.jpg
img_9.jpg
img_10.jpg
img_11.jpg

It came in a very good, protected package. Once unpacked, I put D'Addario EJ46FF strings in it and I was surprised by the quality of its sound - powerful, rich and warm. I would say it stays in between my Aria A558 and My Hermanos Camps Master. Quite a good acquisition. The neck is not bent but the strings are a bit high for my taste - the 6th string is 4.5 mm above the 12nd fret and I would rather have it at around 3.5 mm. I think it can be done. The tuners are beautiful but not comfortable any more, I may replace them. The top seems to be cedar and the backs and sides "appear" to be solid rosewood (but as alreaddy discussed here, there is no sure way to say to confirm it). There are scratches, yes, but nothing serious. It weights 1.7 kg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spr, RW B&S, Tokio, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/51, Ced, RW B&S, JP
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51, Ced, lam RW B&S, Nagoya, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW B&S, Banyoles, ES

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:51 am

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm
Hi, Japanese guitars lovers :D:

Got finally my Ryoji Matsuoka No.40 (1979). Here are some pictures:

It came in a very good, protected package. Once unpacked, I put D'Addario EJ46FF strings in it and I was surprised by the quality of its sound - powerful, rich and warm. I would say it stays in between my Aria A558 and My Hermanos Camps Master. Quite a good acquisition. The neck is not bent but the strings are a bit high for my taste - the 6th string is 4.5 mm above the 12nd fret and I would rather have it at around 3.5 mm. I think it can be done. The tuners are beautiful but not comfortable any more, I may replace them. The top seems to be cedar and the backs and sides "appear" to be solid rosewood (but as alreaddy discussed here, there is no sure way to say to confirm it). There are scratches, yes, but nothing serious. It weights 1.7 kg.
Congratulations Jorge! You waited patiently and it looks like it was worth it. Every Matsuoka from the 70s and 80s guitar that I've tired has been very pleasing and charming in one way or another. Some of them with a little thicker neck than I usually tend to like, but other was ok. Regarding the action (as you know), you need to shave of 1 mm of saddle to lower the action 0.5 mm at 12th fret, is there any room for that? Condition looks great for such an old guitar, it was certainly a good investment!

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1992 - Manuel Bellido

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 pm

Thanks, Jon. Indeed, the more I play with it the more I'm convinced this was a top notch, expensive guitar in its days. I still have to compare it with my spruce top Kuniharu Nobe once it's repaired (somewhere in January, I hope). The sound will be different, of course, but I'm not expecting it to be superior to this one. One funny thing I noticed, and I don't have an explanation for that, even though the strings are a bit higher than my other guitars, this one seems easier to play with, I don't make so many mistakes. Must be, perhaps, the shape and thickness of the neck, I don't know... :D.

By the way, do you know in which city in Japan the Matsuoka workshop was (still is?) located?

PS: just noticed that, as in my Aria A558, there is a number engraved on the top of the transverse bar - 790605. I'm assuming, then, that the inception date of this guitar is 05-Jun-79. Am I correct?

IMG_0063.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spr, RW B&S, Tokio, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/51, Ced, RW B&S, JP
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51, Ced, lam RW B&S, Nagoya, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW B&S, Banyoles, ES

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:29 am

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 pm
By the way, do you know in which city in Japan the Matsuoka workshop was (still is?) located?

PS: just noticed that, as in my Aria A558, there is a number engraved on the top of the transverse bar - 790605. I'm assuming, then, that the inception date of this guitar is 05-Jun-79. Am I correct?

IMG_0063.jpg
I could be wrong but it might the city of Matsumoto, they also produced guitars for Aria.

The number and date is correct yes.

/Jon
1992 - Manuel Bellido

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:29 am

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 pm

IMG_0063.jpg
I could be wrong but it might the city of Matsumoto, they also produced guitars for Aria back then. You often see the Aria stamp on the Matsuoka's from the 70s and 80s.

The number and date is correct yes.

/Jon
1992 - Manuel Bellido

Return to “Luthiers”