Dream guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Re: Dream guitar

Post by Andy Culpepper » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:36 am

Thanks all. Jeremy, I was thinking about binding the soundhole, what would you do? :)

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:39 am

Very cool. I wish I had such skill.

Norbert

Post by Norbert » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:48 am

I sure like where you're heading with that rosette design.

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Post by Jeremy Clark » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:50 am

Andy Culpepper wrote:what would you do? :)
I'd bind it.
52instruments.com
facebook.com/52instruments
instagram.com/52_instrument_co

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Post by Andy Culpepper » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:22 am

Thanks for the input all.

Jim Frieson

Post by Jim Frieson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:09 am

Interesting that you make a guitar you saw in a dream . I have found whenever I dream about a guitar it is highly beneficial , excluding the times when I am just overworked and having day residue .

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Post by Andy Culpepper » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 pm

Jim Frieson wrote:Interesting that you make a guitar you saw in a dream . I have found whenever I dream about a guitar it is highly beneficial , excluding the times when I am just overworked and having day residue .
I've had a few guitar nightmares so it was nice to have a good one :)

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Andy Culpepper wrote:Thanks all for the comments. It looks like the guitar is now sold already!
With the funding now arranged (I sold the DeJonge to a fellow who wanted it as self-gift for celebrating his retirement), and following a hearty recommendation from Eyedoc vis-a-vis his own new Culpepper, I am pleased to say that I'm the soon-to-be new owner of this one. It will be 640mm, with a black walnut hull. We can all watch the build proceed in due course.

Technically, I should say that I am going to be the "custodian" of this guitar versus its "owner", as it is being built for my granddaughter. Like the guitar, she's also still "under construction" (due June 7) but the label will have her name* and her birthdate on it. As with the 2008 Kenny Hill for my eldest grandson, and the 2015 Joseph Redman dedicated to middle grandson, this 2017 Andy Culpepper instrument will be mine to use until such time as the grandkid can play it better than I can, or until I take up Celestial Harp Lessons.

*And I am HOPING that the parents give her a name that won't blow up SpellCheck systems. The one they've picked now is.... Xenavieve. Xena for short. As in "Xena, The Warrior Princess". :roll: :roll: :roll:
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:47 pm

David_Norton wrote:
Andy Culpepper wrote:Thanks all for the comments. It looks like the guitar is now sold already!
With the funding now arranged (I sold the DeJonge to a fellow who wanted it as self-gift for celebrating his retirement), and following a hearty recommendation from Eyedoc vis-a-vis his own new Culpepper, I am pleased to say that I'm the soon-to-be new owner of this one. It will be 640mm, with a black walnut hull. We can all watch the build proceed in due course.

Technically, I should say that I am going to be the "custodian" of this guitar versus its "owner", as it is being built for my granddaughter. Like the guitar, she's also still "under construction" (due June 7) but the label will have her name* and her birthdate on it. As with the 2008 Kenny Hill for my eldest grandson, and the 2015 Joseph Redman dedicated to middle grandson, this 2017 Andy Culpepper instrument will be mine to use until such time as the grandkid can play it better than I can, or until I take up Celestial Harp Lessons.

*And I am HOPING that the parents give her a name that won't blow up SpellCheck systems. The one they've picked now is.... Xenavieve. Xena for short. As in "Xena, The Warrior Princess". :roll: :roll: :roll:
Congratulations! By the way, I like the name.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun May 21, 2017 11:44 pm

Andy tells me that construction has commenced, and pictures will be forthcoming.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon May 22, 2017 12:08 am

There's a dude on the current season of CBS Survivor whose name is Brad Culpepper.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon May 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Yay, David, and congratulations on all fronts!
So practical, sentimental and wise. You really provided me with insight when I read your post. We're all merely custodians of our instruments. Stewardship and artistry hand in hand til death do us part.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon May 22, 2017 3:52 pm

I love the rosette idea.
Lucky you, David! For both the guitar and the "in progress " granddaughter!
:-D
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Post by Andy Culpepper » Mon May 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Yes, progress is being made. I modified my usual top bracing a little, omitting the uppermost harmonic bar as the heel/foot block is extending further under the top. Also carved the harmonic bars like an airfoil on the recommendation of maestro Elliott so the top is quite a bit lighter than usual. Also added two extra finger braces in the upper bout to strengthen those areas a bit.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon May 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Very nice thus far. Looking forward to sharing the whole build process with others.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “Luthiers”