Dream guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Re: Dream guitar

Post by Andy Culpepper » Fri May 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Joining the neck to the top. It took me a minute to figure out that I would need to leave a little strip of neck wood on the treble side under the fingerboard, rather than gluing the top all the way across. Doing new things is always a fun challenge for the brain.

mqbernardo

Post by mqbernardo » Sat May 27, 2017 12:10 am

Very nice, Andy. I have thought about the same solution with the "cutaway without a cutaway" thing - then , sometime ago and to my minor dismay, I saw pics of a guitar with the same design implemented. I think it's a wonderful idea, though, and looks like it can hold some water. Never got to think about practicalities and how to get it done, so I never thought that it'd need that little strip of wood on the treble side. Clever.
Anyway, your dream of a guitar is coming along wonderfully. Thanks for sharing it.

Best,
Miguel.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat May 27, 2017 1:20 am

Laurindo Almeida had one with a bit more offset.
From laurindoalmeida.com:
Steve

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sat May 27, 2017 1:51 am

Yes, the Almeida one (made by Julius Gido of L.A.) does have more offset. I opted to have Andy stop at 14 rather than 16 for aesthetics, I think the Gido design goes too far. YMMV.

As it stands, I think the viewer's eyes will be drawn to the rosette such that the cutaway won't really be noticed, at least not initially.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sat May 27, 2017 3:54 am

Good call on that. The Almedia design, aesthetically, leaves a bit to be desired. I like Andy's much better.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat May 27, 2017 4:57 am

Laurindo's looks Picasso-esque to me. I'm sure David's and Andy's will work. It will probably save a bit of weight in the heel also. I wonder if the Gido (the name escaped me - losing synapses) simply glued the treble side to the inside of the block rather than having a slot.

I saw him play in LA 1970's a couple of times on a more standard guitar.
Steve

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sat May 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Steve Ganz wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 4:57 am
Laurindo's looks Picasso-esque to me. I'm sure David's and Andy's will work. It will probably save a bit of weight in the heel also. I wonder if the Gido (the name escaped me - losing synapses) simply glued the treble side to the inside of the block rather than having a slot.

I saw him play in LA 1970's a couple of times on a more standard guitar.
You're more generous than I :). Utilitarian for sure but the shape of the upper bought looks like a cake that fell in the oven. I'm all for whatever works for the guitarist but I also think design and execution are important. In any case Andy's example shows much more thought and design sense in that regard
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Post by Andy Culpepper » Sat May 27, 2017 4:25 pm

I agree, something about Almeida's guitar reads as a little unsettling, almost like a deformity. I like the cake metaphor (haha) but I'm glad you all don't mind mine too much. Actually in the dream the offset was very slight, like coming in at the 13th fret but David and I agreed there might not be much point in that.
I think this design preserves a pleasing shape in the upper bout and I think David's right that the rosette will tend to draw the eye more.

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sat May 27, 2017 10:05 pm

A factor to recall is that Almeida played with the guitar on his RIGHT thigh, versus the traditional left thigh classical posture. So for him, the deeper cutaway had a definite practical reason behind it.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sun May 28, 2017 1:21 am

The point is that it could of definitely been done better design wise...the obvious first way to do so is to make it less intrusive but honestly even keeping the access the same, one could have done better. It looks like an afterthought, one that didn't even attempt grace and elegance and thats the problem.

Any design element is far more effective when it is a part of a larger aesthetic. In other words, you can do whatever you wish but to make it really look like you meant it, you have to create more than just that feature and plug it into an otherwise standard form. So to both of you in regards to the rosette, I totally agree with you and would have advocated doing something just like that. Honestly this design overall is not exactly to my personal taste but it's certainly something I can see that there's been some thought behind and thats what counts.

There is a famous steel string builder who's decorative work is really amazing in terms of design and execution but every guitar of his I've seen has what looks like a store bought mosaic rosette, which is totally out of place not only on a steel string but one that is so heavily and otherwise uniquely decorated. It's just a major design mistake IMO. Of course he is doing just fine so its not like everyone shares my opinion :)
Aaron Green, Luthier

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:15 am

Introducing the REAL "Xena, The Warrior Princess"!

The dedicatee and presumptive future owner of this guitar has now made her Earthside Appearance (her mother's words!) Xenavieve Lacie Jean Terres was born around 4:45 AM local time today, Saturday June 17 2017. 8 lbs 14 oz, 21 inches, for those who are into that sort of data tracking. Her name is pronounced "ZEN uh veev", not "ZEEN ah veev."

Xena 00.jpg
Xena 01.jpg

Today is also the birthday of composers Charles Gounoud, Igor Stravinski, Sammy Fain, and country guitarist Red Foley.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

brian

Post by brian » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:56 am

Welcome to the world little one!!!
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:55 am

Congratulations.

Great guitar hands, like a female Segovia's.

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Post by Andy Culpepper » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:07 am

Here's the inside finished and back with label(s), ready to glue on.

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:11 am

It looks wonderful. Thank you for your craftsmanship!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “Luthiers”