which machine heads?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Ryeman

which machine heads?

Postby Ryeman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:24 pm

The Romantic guitar I have just finished has wooden tuning pegs. I have started building a Classical, using some very nice materials, and want to use some good quality machine heads on this one. My problem is that I don't really care for elaborate engraving, and I can't seem to find any good quality ones with a plain, simple design.
Can anyone help? I would prefer to buy from within the U.K.

Alan

DenisJ_III

Re: which machine heads?

Postby DenisJ_III » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:31 pm

It's probably worth having a look at Rubner. They do a very wide range of machines and you can choose from completely plain through to elaborate engraving. I'm not sure if there are UK stockists, but *** Commercial link removed *** UK can certainly supply a limited range.

Philipp Lerche
Amateur luthier

Postby Philipp Lerche » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:01 pm

Hey ! He's right with the Rubner Machines, feel free to take a look at this guitar :) ----> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=111648 or this one viewtopic.php?f=11&t=109137
"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done."
Bruce Lee

Best regards
Phil

Ryeman

Postby Ryeman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:05 pm

Thank you Denis. I have had quick look at Rubner, and it certainly looks like I can find something suitable in their range.

Alan

Ryeman

Postby Ryeman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:08 pm

Philip, thank you. Which machine heads did you use on the guitar in your second link? They look very nice.

Alan

RedCliff

Postby RedCliff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi Alan. Depends on what price bracket you are looking at really, and thereby what you mean by 'good quality'. For modern and plain you can easily get Schertler in the UK for about £85 a set. Rubners are good and you can essentially customise them with prices starting around £30 all the way up to £130 if you want all bearings on the rollers and Teflon washers. I order than direct from Rubner and have never had any problems. If you PM me I can send you a pdf of their catalogue. For about £50 you can get the Van Gent 310 - has a bit of engraving but it is a solid workhorse. In the several hundred pound and upwards bracket are Robson Tuners and higher still Rodgers Tuners, both made in the UK and can be as plan or intricate as you wish. Again - if you PM me I can tell you where I source things from.
Giles Ratcliffe
Sheffield
England

Ryeman

Postby Ryeman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:11 pm

Giles,
Thank you for your advice and help. PM sent.

Alan

Eberhard Mueller

Postby Eberhard Mueller » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:35 pm

I just mounted 3 sets of Rubners which are plain matte brass finish. They look so good replacing the old, shiny, engraved Schaller and Gotoh tuners and work more precisely, too. (Of course they are new and have tighter tolerances - hard to say how they will function 16-25 years from now, the age of the one's they replaced.) However, I'm surprised about how good the plain matte finish looks on my guitars! :D
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

Ryeman

Postby Ryeman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:01 am

Thanks for the imput Eberhard. It sounds like we have similar taste with regard to machine heads.

Alan

Wesjr1

Postby Wesjr1 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:51 am

Not everyone's cup of tea, but Gilbert tuners are pretty plain. Some think they are too "industrial" looking, but I disagree and like their looks and action (I have them on my David Schramm guitar).
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

Ryeman

Postby Ryeman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks Wesjr.
Following earlier comments here, I have ordered a set of Rubner tuners....

Alan

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:20 am

Der Jung has also very nicely working CNC worked machine heads in a variety of finishes. They work IMHO better than Rubner.
They even have machines with roller bearings at a price of very basic quality Rubners...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Ryeman

Postby Ryeman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:33 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:Der Jung has also very nicely working CNC worked machine heads in a variety of finishes. They work IMHO better than Rubner.
They even have machines with roller bearings at a price of very basic quality Rubners...

Thanks for the recommendation. I have ordered Rubners this time, but may try Der Jong in the future. They seem quite cheap, though I had difficulty in navigating their website.

Alan

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:16 pm

There is plenty of them on the electronic bay ...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:07 pm

It sounds like you already have it sorted but Scheller makes an unengraved plate...I'm also not all that into "overly ornamented" tuning machines and they are pretty much my favourite.
52instruments.com
facebook.com/52instruments
instagram.com/52_instrument_co

Return to “Luthiers”