How to remove strap buttons

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
edspyhill01

How to remove strap buttons

Postby edspyhill01 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:28 pm

I put mini strap locks on my Pavan TP30. The holes are the same as standard strap buttons.

My question: Is there an acceptable way to remove the strap buttons and make the repairs so the holes are mostly unnoticeable? One strap lock is on the body through the tail/end block (name?), and the other is on the treble side of the neck heel. I thought one solution would be to install an endpin jack. No ideas about the neck heel hole.

I'm not trying to hide the holes and will include before and after pictures for buyers when I attempt to sell the guitar.

Thank you,

Ed T.

O.T. I found a great way to play with a group of musicians and not be burdened with perfection - a tenor ukulele.
Lapatre Motif, now my primary CG; Pavan TP30; Cordoba Tenor Ukulele 23T

John higgon
Amateur luthier

Re: How to remove strap buttons

Postby John higgon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:59 pm

I've never tried to do this but, seeing as nobody else has posted, here's my thoughts, FWIW. a dowel of the same kind of wood might sort out the hole in the heel, and it would be noticeable but not in-your-face noticeable. The hole in the end-block - you could pop a mother-of-pearl inlay in there, which might look okay. Or you could make a wide inlay strip, remove the wood around the hole and put in the new inlay strip. However, your endblock inlay strip would then be wider than your centre strip, if you have one. Also, you wouldn't want to remove too much material. The sides need a certain area of endblock to glue to.

amezcua

Re: How to remove strap buttons

Postby amezcua » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:41 pm

There are videos of superglue mixed with suitable sawdust and just blobbing it in the holes . Normal polishing and scraping does the rest .

Return to “Luthiers”