Edson Lopes tries guitar made of paper

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Luis_Br

Edson Lopes tries guitar made of paper

Postby Luis_Br » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:21 am

Henrique Pinto (homonym of a famous guitar teacher here), who is actually a student of luthier course from Tatui's Conservatory in Brazil, where Edson Lopes teaches guitar, has just made his first guitar, and he decided to build it with paper. He had prior experience with paper, he used a technique we call "papietagem" or Papier Collé (I don't know the English word). He said he spent 3 years to develop the technique before starting to build the guitar. Some parts of the guitar are made of regular wood, like the scale. But soundboard, back and sides are totally made of paper.
Sound is quite nice for the first guitar of this kind. Here Edson Lopes trying the guitar at youtube:

Youtube

Taylor 25

Re: Edson Lopes tries guitar made of paper

Postby Taylor 25 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:41 am

That guitar is made of paper?? I am very surprised by the quality of sound that it produces. The soundboard and back & sides look like regular wood.

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:57 am

Yes, and Edson sais in the video it is very ergonomic too, one of the best guitar arms he had tried.

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:07 am

I do not have enough bandwidth to view the video - how thick are the soundboard/sides/back?

I know that corrugated paper has been used to build houses - is the paper corrugated?
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:17 am

According to the News here:
http://www.conservatoriodetatui.org.br/ ... -de-papel/
It is the technique developed by Pablo Picasso, which is gluing pieces of "kraft" paper together.
The luthier developed a way to get a similar consistency of the wood.

powderedtoastman

Postby powderedtoastman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:13 am

That's cool, there is some discussion on here and elsewhere on the internet about a Torres guitar that supposedly had back and sides made of paper like papier mache, but I find it very surprising that you could get such a nice sound with the soundboard also made that way. But then, Edson Lopes can probably make just about any guitar sound great!

I wonder how long the guitar would last before wear and tear start to take their toll?

And in the end while this is a great demonstration, I suspect that if anything at all this sort of technique could maybe help make the low end of factory guitars cheaper. But when we buy luthier guitars I think most of the cost is in the labor and the name so I can't imagine many people would want to pay the premiums and not get a guitar made out of some nice woods.

If this can be done with recycled materials, then I could see it catching on in a future world where good solid wood is hard to come by!

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:55 am

It is made of wood, paper wood. It's all cellulose. Not quite the pathetic sounding material you would imagine for a guitar.
Historicalguitars.

bftobin

Postby bftobin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Of course it sounds very good. It's made of 'Brazilian' paper. LOL

Brian McCombs

Postby Brian McCombs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm

I would assume that much of its composition is an adhesive of some type. I wonder what it is all bound together with? I'd like to see the process I think it would be very interesting.

khayes

Postby khayes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:11 pm

bftobin wrote:Of course it sounds very good. It's made of 'Brazilian' paper. LOL

Probably "old growth" Brazilian paper.
Ken

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Wow, that is a great looking guitar for the top back and sides being made of paper! The sound is really good as well! May be the way of the future to build guitars! Thank you for sharing the video.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:41 am

It shows once again that the actual 'secret' of the guitar is the construction. The materials may be important, and so every guitar of same construction will sound differently, but the most important is what you do with the materials given ... IMHO
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

bert

Postby bert » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:50 am

So, we did choose between cedar and spruce, in the future we may be choosing between "Washington Post" or "Playboy"

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:49 pm

....only if it is Playboy from the days when they had pictures. The scale is the fretboard and/or neck? I went to the link but since it is in a language I do not readily read I was unable to make out what is used to hold the paper together. Epoxy? Some other form of adhesives?
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm

In the article there is no clue about the glue or adhesive used.
As I've understood from the article, fretboard is made of wood, neck is made of paper.
My concern would also be with durability. Only time can tell...

Return to “Luthiers”