Guitar tuning winding shafts.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
bacsidoan

Re: Guitar tuning winding shafts.

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:33 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
bacsidoan wrote:The newest Gotoh Premium, KG01-CA, has the base plate and the rollers made of carbon fiber

KOUGA-Inside-EN-s.jpg
That compensates probably the extra weight of the roller ball bearings... Without ball bearings it would probably be a very light tuner - great for flamencas...
Still one of the lightest available: 110.4 gm per pair

printer2

Post by printer2 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:09 pm

There thousands of plastics, there are good plastics and bad plastics. The good plastics live on this side of the tracks, the bad, the other side.
Fred

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:44 am

Les Backshall wrote:... Gotoh premium 510 series have hollow aluminium rollers. No difference in how they work, but not as aesthetically pleasing to my mind.

Les
I do like them. No wear, very robust and reliable. Such aluminium rollers have been in the market for more than 70-80 years. My 1956 Herwig had Rubner tuners with such rollers and I do remember pictures of 1940's Weissgerber guitars with similar ones. Der Jung are offering aluminum rollers with teflon bearing in black on their premium tuners, which might be a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

BTW most or all plastic rollers are not entirely from plastic! They do have a metal core where the shaft and thread for the joint to the gearwheel is applied. Depending of the qualtity of the meachines this metal core extends over the entire roller length. Presumably a 6 mm brass roller with a tightly fitted plastic sleeve to adjust the roller diameter to the higher elongation of plastic strings!? The hollow rivets which can be seen above in the rollers of Scheller tuners are to avoid slippage of the plastic sleeve! :wink:

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:52 pm

So we conclude that guitar makers are using innocent plastic for these parts .This is good news indeed . Innocent plastic but not so innocent makers who throw on (or threw on ) "hollow "plastic nuts . Looking at that , the famous question comes to mind , "What the Hell were you thinking?" .

Phigoe

Post by Phigoe » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:24 pm

On the rollers of the Tuners, there are different Options,
imitated ivory ( similar to Schaller), buffalo horn (black) and steel string rollers.
see link:
http://gitarrenmechaniken.de/news/news.html

the imitated ivory and buffalo horn are only a sleeve, and the core is brass.

I am not aware that the different material will sound different (although I am not an expert)

Return to “Luthiers”