Binding and Purfling, by hand

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
MessyTendon

Binding and Purfling, by hand

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Your thoughts on the most economical tools to get this job. I've never done this...I was going to forgo binding and make a basic sloppy jalopy guitar, but after bonking my guitar on many things...I think binding is good.. Although it never ceases to amaze me how many old solid body mahogany martin guitars exist pre and post war.

I do not want to use a router, I detest the idea of completing something and having one fatal blow. Of course it could happen both ways...but I confess, I just don't like power tools.

beanctr

Re: Binding and Purfling, by hand

Post by beanctr » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:47 pm

LMI sells a hand tool to cut the binding slot. It uses a small knife and is adjustable. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:16 pm

O`Brien Guitars Tips du Jour video shows a German (I think ) cutter that looks very secure used with both hands . I have been doing that job and using an improvised cutter. It takes forever and a day without the correct tools .But I was not expecting both the top and sides to be laminated . I think with lamination it would be very difficult with a machine. You need to cut in two stages with solid woods . That avoids tearing out the grain before running round in the opposite direction . Fitting binding on a finished guitar leaves two problem areas to work out either side of the fretboard.
That`s the channel cut out then . After that I will be using some big chunky elastic bands as shown by Netherlands gentleman Ad van Kuijk. I wrote Netherlands as I remembered they dislike the word Dutch . It hurts their feelings for some reason .
(Edit here because I got it wrong) .Dutch is ok for the name of the people. Netherlands is ok for the name of the country . But Holland is not ok for the name of the country .It`s only a part of the country as in California is not the USA.. I had to look that up . Ad van should deliver the goods for you . He does a good video and unlike many videos there is no Loud introduction . Just subtitles .
The hand cutting tool (ouch) is called a Gramil .
Last edited by amezcua on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Make or buy a gramil. I've got the LMII one, great tool. It's the one in the O'Brien videos. It takes quite a while to do by hand but it is pretty satisfying. Improves chisel sharpening experience for sure. I've no interest in using power tools for that bit, but if I was making guitars for a living I imagine I'd thing about it.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:58 pm

When you sharpen the blade on an oilstone or waterstone you can finish it off by drawing the blade backwards on a piece of softwood like pine with a smear of chromium polish .It works like an open shaving razor strop .Solvol Autosol paste in a tube is the one I always use .The flake of metal on the tip is polished away to leave a very keen edge .

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:51 pm

I've done this using some sort of marking gauge, such as a gramil, a chisel, and small safe-edge file, and a small riffler file for the waist. It takes some time, of course, but you can do a very precise job.

Joe Medina
Luthier

Post by Joe Medina » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:08 am

I tried the LMI Gramil, and returned it. It scratched my side pretty good and I found it hard to use. You can of course tape the thing so it doesn't scratch the sides while routing the purfling channel

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:04 pm

That's surprising. Was it the Schneider one? All the surfaces are incredibly smooth on mine, the whole thing feels excellent quality. It was expensive but I know it'll last a lifetime.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:42 pm

And don`t forget , as they say on O`Brien Guitars "You get bragging rights if you do it by hand ". They have suction holder for the guitar that looks massively expensive but you need to give the guitar a lot of big cuddles while you cut the channels by hand .Arms and legs are permitted . Clear the sofa for a thorough job .

Barnaby

Post by Barnaby » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:32 am

I built two purfling cutters and one binding cutter/scratcher, having two purfling cutters is useful as you can set one up for the upper and lower bouts and one for the waist.

The wider flat edge is good for the upper and lower bouts and the narrower edge good for the waist.

I'm using the LMI Gramil blades and to help the sharpening process I've enlarged the slot in a craft knife to hold the blade.

The binding cutter is similar but I use an old jigsaw blade to score the binding line into the rib.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Don't be embarrassed about using plastic binding. Makes life much easier. I know it is not considered "authentic" in the classical guitar world however it is better at absorbing bumps than wood. Once there is a finish over it, black plastic is pretty much identical to a black ebony. :-)

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 pm

One maker in Australia was impressed at how the reonance increased when the bindings were fitted . Not everybody mentions that .

Jim Frieson

Post by Jim Frieson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:30 am

Barnaby wrote:I built two purfling cutters and one binding cutter/scratcher, having two purfling cutters is useful as you can set one up for the upper and lower bouts and one for the waist.

The wider flat edge is good for the upper and lower bouts and the narrower edge good for the waist.

I'm using the LMI Gramil blades and to help the sharpening process I've enlarged the slot in a craft knife to hold the blade.

The binding cutter is similar but I use an old jigsaw blade to score the binding line into the rib.

Very nicely done . I have similar but not so aesthetically pleasing devices . I use sharpened jeweller's files for knives in some of them and it works well
since they have the hardness to resist rosewood .

Return to “Luthiers”