Another Paper Guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rojarosguitar

Another Paper Guitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:31 am

Here is another paper guitar project:

http://www.rtv.be/artikels/papieren-git ... val-a37778

I don't understand Dutch but I gather only sides and back is made from newspapers ...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

astro64

Re: Another Paper Guitar

Post by astro64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:54 am

The interview says the guitar was built for the Leonardo project to explore other materials than tropical woods. The body was built out of 40 layers of newspaper. The luthier is Walter Verreydt. The instrument sounds fine. He noted it proved that the material for the body is less important than the top and construction method. He also said he still does prefer to build with wood. I imagine glueing 40 layers of paper together in a mold is not much fun...

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:32 pm

I heard and played the guitar at the festival last weekend. It works absolutely fine, although the sound was not entirely to my taste. I'm considering trying something similar myself, but using my own top/strutting design.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Brian McCombs

Post by Brian McCombs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:46 pm

James Lister wrote:I heard and played the guitar at the festival last weekend. It works absolutely fine, although the sound was not entirely to my taste. I'm considering trying something similar myself, but using my own top/strutting design.

James

I'm intrigued by it. But every time I begin to entertain the thought I think: Gosh, I dunno what I'm doing with the wooden variety yet. :D

Paul Micheletti
Amateur luthier

Post by Paul Micheletti » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Here's yet another paper guitar:

Youtube

I played this at a show and it sounded better than I expected. I liked his wood guitars better, but this was better than I expected.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:20 am

The guitar looks awesome and sounds great! Thank you for posting this video. I enjoyed the playing as well!

Steve Toscano
Luthier

Post by Steve Toscano » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:49 am

Well technically the guitar is still made from trees right? 8)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:15 am

Quite a bit of paper is also made from rags. Well, cotton is from a plant, too, but not wood... the common denominator here is cellulose.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

gjo

Post by gjo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 am

I have heard that guitar played by Andrea de Vitis in a group of 9 Leonardo Project guitars last Friday evening. 8 guitars were good guitars, one was outstanding - the paper guitar.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:26 pm

The attention focuses on the "paper back" rather than the "paper + lots of glue back". It might be interesting to know what glue is used and how environmentally friendly that is.

robert e

Post by robert e » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Traditional newsprint was mostly, if not completely, wood pulp, with little or no rag content. But, yes, cellulose.

I don't know too much about paper layering, but I know the preferred binder for making cardboard, as well as papier mâché, is starch. Methyl cellulose might be appropriate as well, as it would also size the paper. I don't think either is harmful to the environment, though the process for making methyl cellulose might be. On the other hand, with the right mild solvent to encourage the paper layers to bind, you may not need an adhesive at all, though in that case I doubt the printing would be preserved like you see in the video.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Hide glue might give you a pretty hard and stiff resulting material if you glued up enough paper layers. I've soaked a few layers of cotton rag paper together for rib buttresses. You'd need a lot more layers than that though. Then again I'm not sure there is a point other than as an interesting experiment, it's not as though folk are going to pay very much for a paper guitar.
Historicalguitars.

printer2

Post by printer2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:19 am

Not paper related, more like building a laminate guitar. Had some maple sides joined but it looked like I might not use them. Ended up using them for a sort of resonator guitar build. Since the bulk of the sound is to come from the resonator I built the top and back using Baltic birch plywood. Still working on it but last night I tapped the back of the box for the heck of it. It had a reasonable resonance and I would not have thought anything untoward in the sound if I heard it coming from a guitar built from one of the woods in my stash. I'll have to keep BB plywood in mind in case I ever wanted to make myself a guitar that would see temperature/humidity abuse. Well at least for a steel string.
Fred

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 am

gjo wrote:I have heard that guitar played by Andrea de Vitis in a group of 9 Leonardo Project guitars last Friday evening. 8 guitars were good guitars, one was outstanding - the paper guitar.
The paper guitar did stand out from the others - but it should be noted that that guitar was made by an experienced luthier - the others were all made by students.

James

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 am

astro64 wrote:The attention focuses on the "paper back" rather than the "paper + lots of glue back". It might be interesting to know what glue is used and how environmentally friendly that is.
Someone told me that Polyurethane glue was used - but I didn't hear this direct from the luthier, so I can't be sure. Several people said that there were 40 layers of paper, and the final thickness of back and sides was about 2mm.

James

Return to “Luthiers”