One of my clients messed up his guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Ramon Amira
Teacher

One of my clients messed up his guitar

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 pm

I just received the following email from a client who had bought a Francisco Navarro Special Grand Concert Rodriguez. He wishes he would have contacted me first. So do I.

I have four photos, but I don't know how to post them. Anyway they basically simply show a faded area about the width of the tie block and back a couple of inches. The finish is French Polish.

Does anyone have any suggestions and general thoughts about what he can do at this point. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Ramon

"While I was installing new strings on the guitar its surface got scratched. In an attempt to repair the damage I researched for some good scratch remover for guitars and came across a brand known as Eterna Shine. I read several reviews about the product and viewed videos to assess the product and finally ordered it. I tested it on a Yamaha classic guitar that I have and the results were great. So I decided to use it on the Navarro.

Unfortunately it faded the surface. The product I used seemed to work fine on lacquer surfaced guitars. I just wanted to know from you if there is something that you recommend for restoration of the surface. In retrospect I should have contacted you before use of the scratch removing polish, however that time has passed and I can now only hope for a miracle solution from you.

I am attaching a few pictures for you to see and advise. I am not sure if you will be able to see clearly. However, I have marked the area that has been damaged. Kindly advise if there is any way to restore the original glossy finish? Also. any other suggestion you might have for what to use for polishing of the guitar or removal of any scratches in future will be appreciated."
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Brian McCombs

Re: One of my clients messed up his guitar

Post by Brian McCombs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:17 am

The webpage for eterna shine mentions every finish with exception of shellac. It is possible the substance softened the finish and/or abraded it. It is likely only fixable in the hands of someone skilled in French polish.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 am

Brian McCombs wrote:... It is likely only fixable in the hands of someone skilled in French polish.
+1

If you mention where he is, maybe some of the members would be able to recommend someone to do the job.

hatalap

Post by hatalap » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:35 am

I would contact Glenn Nichols at Glenn Nichols Guitar. He does a variety of restoration work and may be able to help.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:46 am

simonm wrote:
Brian McCombs wrote:... It is likely only fixable in the hands of someone skilled in French polish.
+1

If you mention where he is, maybe some of the members would be able to recommend someone to do the job.
I finally heard back from him. He is in Islamabad, Pakistan. Anyone know a good luthier in Pakistan who is good with French Polish? Also he says he has several friends who frequently travel to Europe, and they would convey it to a luthier for him. Any suggestions?

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Anyone?

Ramon

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue May 02, 2017 3:41 pm

He told me today that he has friends who visit England, Italy, and Lithuania. Can anyone recommend a luthier in any of these countries who can and would repair the French Polish finish on his guitar. Or offer some names where at least he can inquire. Thanks.

Ramon

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:17 pm

Clearly our very own James Lister knows a thing or two about French polish, but I don't know if he does repairs. Might be worth sending a PM.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Or Roger Williams comes to mind also in the UK.

www(DOT)rogerwilliamsguitars.com/
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed May 03, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks - I will P.M. James and forward both names to my client. Would appreciate any other recommendations.

Ramon

Return to “Luthiers”