Best Oil to Clean Fretboards?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
spanishguitarmusic

Best Oil to Clean Fretboards?

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:01 am

Is one type of oil much better to clean your fretboard with when changing strings? Some say that lemon oil isn't that good because it may still be chemically based and not too good for your fretboard. I heard from a flamenco player in Spain, watched his video on Youtube, he mentioned he actually uses pure organic olive oil on this fretboard maybe once every two years. He just takes a small piece of a paper towel and folds it a few times and applies a very small amount of olive oil and rubs it on his fretboard. He mentioned it works really well for him. So, I am wondering if using a small amount of olive oil would actually clean and condition your fretboard pretty good, especially if applied once a year or so. Anyone else use olive oil or has tried it to clean their fretboards?

eyedoc

Re: Best Oil to Clean Fretboards?

Postby eyedoc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:17 am

Stew Mac finishing oil is great
Ron

Victor Seal

Postby Victor Seal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:45 pm

I have used Fiddle Brite for many years. No problems.

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:51 pm

eyedoc wrote:Stew Mac finishing oil is great
Ron

Thank you for your comment! I will research the oil.

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Victor Seal wrote:I have used Fiddle Brite for many years. No problems.

Thank you for your comment! I will do more research on Fiddle Brite!

bacsidoan

Postby bacsidoan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:04 am

The great Jimmy D'Aquisto (arguably the finest arch-top guitars maker ever) recommended motor oil weight 30-40, preferably without detergent.

CG-phile

Postby CG-phile » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:39 am

bacsidoan wrote:The great Jimmy D'Aquisto (arguably the finest arch-top guitars maker ever) recommended motor oil weight 30-40, preferably without detergent.

I'd rather my classical guitars not smell like an auto repair shop... :lol:
"Classical guitar... my escape from everyday technocentrism!"

souldier

Postby souldier » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:00 am

Been using the lemon oil made by companies like Dunlop for years with zero issues. I just apply a small amount straight on and use a rag to aggressively scrub the surface. After a day it pretty much just evaporates without a trace. I only do this once every six months. There is really no need to do this every string change if you ask me. Back in the day, I did do this every string change without issue, but now I just think its overkill and a waste of time.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the negative things people say online which just yields overly cautious paranoia.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:37 am

bacsidoan wrote:The great Jimmy D'Aquisto (arguably the finest arch-top guitars maker ever) recommended motor oil weight 30-40, preferably without detergent.

Thank you for your comment!

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:37 am

CG-phile wrote:

I'd rather my classical guitars not smell like an auto repair shop... :lol:

Yes, this is true as well! Thank you for your comment!

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:45 am

souldier wrote:Been using the lemon oil made by companies like Dunlop for years with zero issues. I just apply a small amount straight on and use a rag to aggressively scrub the surface. After a day it pretty much just evaporates without a trace. I only do this once every six months. There is really no need to do this every string change if you ask me. Back in the day, I did do this every string change without issue, but now I just think its overkill and a waste of time.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the negative things people say online which just yields overly cautious paranoia.

Thank you for your comment! I also used to use lemon oil long time ago, but I since stopped as everyone would say not to use it and even a luthier suggested not to use for the long run. So, I don't know. I mean when I used to use it I've never noticed any problems with it.

bear

Postby bear » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:48 am

i 've used neatsfoot oil but last week i used mineral oil, both with good results. neatsfoot is often used with leather and mineral is an old wood treatment instead of poly.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

mmapag

Postby mmapag » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:00 am

I feel like this is really 2 different questions. For cleaning is the first. Restoring and maintains the fretboard is the other. For cleaning I use naphtha. It dissolves the oils and gunk on the fretboard and help loosen it for wiping off. I restore and maintain the fretboard with mineral oil.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

SeanWinkler

Postby SeanWinkler » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:25 am

gorgomyte
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:31 am

Lemon oil works for me. Generally though, when the fingerboard needs a clean it is time to sell that guitar and try another! :lol:

Return to “Luthiers”