Luz Blanca

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Re: Luz Blanca

Post by Alexandru Marian » Tue May 30, 2017 5:36 am

Thanks. I was asking because I too have a set of "shell" wood grown in Romania (or it could have been imported from Ukraine) which was sold as maple but I strongly believe to be birch. It has a color hue that reminds me a bit of the Sitka - Euro difference. Also this sort of brown serpent figure/streak, never seen it on maple before, but on birch veneer on furniture. Anyway it taps and feels very much like maple. Looking fw to build it as it looks gorgeous.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue May 30, 2017 8:33 am

looks amazing!
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue May 30, 2017 9:02 am

:bravo: :bravo:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

doug

Post by doug » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:54 pm

Kent wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:39 pm
I would love to see the eyes of the buyer when they open the case for the 1st time!
She just arrived, in perfect condition. She's absolutely GORGEOUS !!!! :D :D :D
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:50 am

Jason,

I just listened your playing. The sound so beautiful. This beauty is the winter promotion offering you were listed in Feb? :bravo:
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:53 am

doug wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:54 pm
Kent wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:39 pm
I would love to see the eyes of the buyer when they open the case for the 1st time!
She just arrived, in perfect condition. She's absolutely GORGEOUS !!!! :D :D :D

:bravo: Please share us your review when you you are ready!!
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:03 pm

keithwwk wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:50 am
Jason,

I just listened your playing. The sound so beautiful. This beauty is the winter promotion offering you were listed in Feb? :bravo:

Thanks. I believe this was the winter sale guitar.
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:09 pm

I took down the first video. I blew one of my speakers, so the first time I mixed it I used headphones. When I listened to the recording on big speakers at my shop, I could hear a bunch of low end rumble that was annoying. It's not noticeable on computer speakers or headphones. I eq'd out stuff below about 90hz and that seemed to solve the problem.

Anyhow, here's the updated version for anyone who hasn't heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1yFigI ... freload=10
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

doug

Post by doug » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:02 pm

She is AMAZING!!!😀😀😀

doug

Post by doug » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:52 pm

The more I play her, the more I love her! :)

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:23 pm

doug wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:52 pm
The more I play her, the more I love her! :)
Great to see this, Doug. That's why I do it.

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:19 pm

I got round to listening this guitar being played tonight - and it does indeed sound very nice.

I also noticed that Jason has drilled holes in the back braces. (don't know about the top ones). This struck a chord with me since it is so often done on structural beams in buildings. The strength/stiffness is required at the position well away from the neutral axis of the beam. So removing material from the central region is not going to reduce the stiffness by much.
This looks like an opportunity to reduce mass without reducing stiffness, which should be useful in top bracing, given that we are looking for low mass and high stiffness in the top structure.. Yet it is not done as far as I have seen. Am I missing something?
Dave

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:23 am

Dave M wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:19 pm
I got round to listening this guitar being played tonight - and it does indeed sound very nice.

I also noticed that Jason has drilled holes in the back braces. (don't know about the top ones). This struck a chord with me since it is so often done on structural beams in buildings. The strength/stiffness is required at the position well away from the neutral axis of the beam. So removing material from the central region is not going to reduce the stiffness by much.
This looks like an opportunity to reduce mass without reducing stiffness, which should be useful in top bracing, given that we are looking for low mass and high stiffness in the top structure.. Yet it is not done as far as I have seen. Am I missing something?
Yes! This is the same thing I was thinking. I started incorporating this recently in some of the soundboard braces too. I hadn't seen it before either. I like what it does, so I will continue utilizing this technique. Of course, just when I thought I was on to something new, I visited notable steel string builder Kevin Ryan's shop and saw that he was doing this in his large x-brace structures. Not only did he beat me to the punch, his design is super cool because he uses a laser cnc to cut the holes out in groovy shapes. Darn it! I want one of those things! :lol:

Return to “Luthiers”