Who in the UK would make a tabletop music stand?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Rasputin

Who in the UK would make a tabletop music stand?

Post by Rasputin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:48 pm

I have an idea for a wooden box that opens out into a table top music stand. Can anyone suggest someone who might make such a thing, so I can find out the rough cost?

Thanks

jhapgood

Re: Who in the UK would make a tabletop music stand?

Post by jhapgood » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Rasputin,

I have one of these on a writing desk that I use for my music area. It is handy for other accessories I keep around, and I am able to store pencils and my reading glasses inside the desk.

Kind Regards,

Joe
61pFe41ePGL__SX522_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:18 pm

If you are looking for a bespoke piece made in wood I have seen several designs over the years done by individual furniture makers.

If you look on the net for furniture makers, possibly bespoke, and do a bit of poking around you will find lists of such people who offer commissions like this. For example I quickly found a list of furniture makers in Devon.

You could end up with an individually designed piece that meets your needs and looks good. Small builders of furniture (as guitar builders) do however have to charge a lot given the time invested in such projects.

Do let us know if you find the right solution.
Dave

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Have a look at table top stands for cookbooks.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Dave M wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:18 pm
If you are looking for a bespoke piece made in wood I have seen several designs over the years done by individual furniture makers.

If you look on the net for furniture makers, possibly bespoke, and do a bit of poking around you will find lists of such people who offer commissions like this. For example I quickly found a list of furniture makers in Devon.
Yes that's probably the way to go. My place is open plan so I want something that looks good as well as being functional.

Thanks guys.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:28 pm

I have a tabletop easel for my art which I also use as a music stand.

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 pm

if you have minimal wood working skills you could build one out of wood. you would need

one piece of wood for the back (AKA, book back--where the back of the book rests against) and one piece of wood for the bottom (AKA, the book rest--where the bottom of the book lays against). Your choice on dimensions (you could make it super wide or close to a standard size) and about 1/8 inch thick. you will also need a piece of wood roughly 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch and the width of the book back. a piece of molding works great as it provides ample gluing surface and looks nice. glue the molding onto the book back and then glue the book rest on top of the molding.

two pieces of wood about 1/2 length of the back and 1/2 inch wide and 1/2 high. clamp the two pieces together and drill 4 or 5 holes through both pieces of wood so that each piece of wood has about 4 or 5 holes running from one end to the other. remember to clamp and drill to make sure the holes line up. think adjustable bookshelves. glue the pieces roughly 5/8 inches apart onto the back.

one dowel rod 1/2 inch in diameter and about 1/2 the length of the back. drill a hole through the dowel rod at one end. slide the dowel rod in-between the two glued pieces on the back and find your angle. notice the dowel rod is 1/8 inch narrower....for a reason.

finish using a small can of pre-mixed on the shelf shellac. Make yourself a make French Polish button out of an old t-shirt. FP away. You can tell your friends you French Polished it.

note: if you look at the metal stand in the picture the two pieces of wood and the dowel rod are the equivalent of the back two pieces with the metal rod that attaches to the stand and props it up.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Google "Stagg tabletop music stand" and you will find a commercially made item selling for £7.60.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:35 pm

One place that would make it for you would be Robert Thompson of N. Yorks.
robertthompsons.co.uk

They make great stuff out of oak if that's what you're looking for although it'll be way more than £7.60.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:12 am

Neat idea. My woodworking skills are, um, limited, but they just might stretch to that. I don't mind spending a bit but Robert Thompson's stuff is astronomical - for that money I think I'd for for a huge tablet and go digital. I quite like that option anyway, but the iPad Pro just isn't big enough, and the few larger tablets aren't so great, from what I hear.

Paul Micheletti
Amateur luthier

Post by Paul Micheletti » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:49 pm

I really like the silverware box idea chuck! I may have to do that one myself.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:58 am

Suggest you use locking cabinet hinges for the "ledge''
and a leather strap grip for more comfort.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:55 pm

Have you tried asking locally for the name of a decent carpenter or kitchen cabinetry guy.
They would knock something of this sort up pretty reasonably I'd have thought.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Return to “Luthiers”