Loose fan brace from Fedex shipment

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Loose fan brace from Fedex shipment

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 am

I just shipped a new guitar to Spokane, and it arrived with a loose fan brace. Anyone have a rough estimate to re-glue it. Any luthiers here in or near Spokane? Thanks.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: Loose fan brace from Fedex shipment

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Anyone?
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

D.Cass

Post by D.Cass » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:45 pm

There is a guy named Eric Sahlin. I don't know if he has time to do repairs, but he could point you in the direction.

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Ramon, Ethan Deutsch, a luthier who sells independently and through GSI, is in Seattle. He either could do it or refer your client to someone.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Keith wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:38 pm
Ramon, Ethan Deutsch, a luthier who sells independently and through GSI, is in Seattle. He either could do it or refer your client to someone.
Thanks - I'm familiar with Ethan from flamenco circles. He used to perform as a flamenco guitarist under the stage name Mario Amaya. I didn't know he was in Seattle. I'll get in touch.

Ramon

Monteverde

Post by Monteverde » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:25 am

Hi Ramon --

Michael Elwell, a luthier specializing in classical guitars, is located in De Smet, Idaho, which is about 60 miles from Spokane. I am not personally familiar with his work, but he exhibits at the Handmade Musical Instrument Show held annually just outside of Portland, so perhaps some of our Portland members may have seen his guitars. In addition, Mr. Elwell notes on his website that he participates in the Inland Northwest Luthiers Association, which meets at 6 PM on the first Wednesday of each month at Woodcraft, 212 N. Sullivan Road, Spokane Valley, Washington. Your client might consider contacting Mr. Elwell and meeting him there.

I hope that's of some help.

Best regards.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:31 pm

On the claim form I have to give Fedex at least a rough estimate to re-glue the brace. Can any luthier here or anyone give me just an approximate estimate. I know it can't be much for something like this, but I have to file the claim form today. Thanks.

Ramon

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Ramon, I don't think I would hold the shipping company liable. If the bond of the brace was not complete to begin with the shipping company had nothing to do with it.

So the guitar got knocked around and the brace came loose...Do we blame the shipping company? Why wasn't the brace glued right in the first place. It sounds to me like the brace was loose all along and got it's final blow in transit.

Believe me I've shipped a few guitars and I am terrified of all them, USPS,FEDEX...UPS...There is simply no way to ship a guitar without significant risk.

But that brace...no way it got knocked off because of the shipping company, it just wasn't glued completely to begin with or the glue joint didn't hold up. Hide glue?

Return to “Luthiers”